Top Potential UFA NCAA Prospects this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Anyone else look like a sure fire bet to attract attention from multiple teams?

don't know about sure fire, but some I could see getting interest based off the season they are having,

Spencer Foo/Michael Vecchione/Sebastian Vidmar - Union

Zach Aston-Reese - Northeastern

Joe Gambardella - UMass- Lowell

Angus Redmond - Michigan Tech

Jordan Gross - Notre Dame

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Tyler Sheehy has been the best forward on the Gophers almost all year. His shot is sick.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
Aston-Reese should get looks. I'd love to see him stay in Boston though. The huskies didn't rebound from a slow start the way they did last year but Reese continues to put up points.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Aston-Reese should get looks. I'd love to see him stay in Boston though. The huskies didn't rebound from a slow start the way they did last year but Reese continues to put up points.

While Aston-Reese doesn’t have the skill set necessary to be a top six forward at the professional level, it’s his overall game and willingness to grind that will earn him a paycheck.

So are we looking at more of a bottom six player then?

He's supposedly the cream of the crop this year, right?

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Is there a big name this year like in years past? By big names I mean players that a lot of teams coveted.

(i.e. Bozak, Dekeyser, O'Connor, Gilroy, etc)

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Is there a big name this year like in years past? By big names I mean players that a lot of teams coveted.

Nobody that should end up as good as Bozak or DeKeyser, but I would bet Aston-Reese will have offers from all 30 NHL teams, or at least as many as will have contract slots available. Same goes for the next few top guys as well, it's always the case.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

I don't think you'll see the Leafs dip into the NCAA or Europe pool much unless there is someone who they genuinely feel can provide something that the Leafs lack (mainly a top 4 RD). So if there is another Zaitsev out there or better in the NCAA or Europe, I'm sure that's the one guy the Leafs will chase. Otherwise, the Leafs have their own NCAA and European guys they can rely upon if needed.

keeneyedobserver

Mar 5, 2014
Can't believe...

He's got tons of talent. Maybe not the same goal scorer but I could see him becoming a full time winger and being like a Cam Atkinson if all goes well.

Worth remembering that Las Vegas will likely aggressively use NCAA free agents to build their AHL depth.

There are two guys better than Kloos. Not a big guy, but great skill, reminds me of Jordan Schroeder but with a little better touch around the net.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Does anyone have any info on Bayreuther for St. Lawrence or McCarron for Cornell?

BotterilltheScrivner

Jan 23, 2010
NYC
Does anyone have any info on Bayreuther for St. Lawrence or McCarron for Cornell?

Bayreuther is probably the best defenseman in the ECAC, and has been for a few years. He's smart, a great passer, and moves well. Pretty sure he'll have multiple offers. McCarron is solid and moves pretty well for his size, but haven't seen as much of him so it's tough to say what kind of player he projects to be. I'd be surprised if he gets more than an AHL PTO at this point.

Spencer Foo (Union College junior) doesn't get as much buzz, but I think he may have a few offers this summer, and deservedly so.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

I've watched every St Lawrence game for 15 years now.

Bayreuther is a very smart defenseman but needs to improve either his speed of decision making, or his physicality to be an NHL defenseman.

I think he'll probably be a good AHL guy, possibly a Trevor Van Riemsdyk type 3rd pairing D.

Kyle Hayton is the guy I think really has the stuff to be good, if he wasn't so damn tiny.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I can see tyler kelleher signing with NJ. He has already been to their prospects camp and he doesn't have the toughest competition to the NHL on the right side.

sureloss

Jan 5, 2006
McKenzie says Josh Healey is drawing a lot of attention:
http://www.tsn.ca/healey-stands-out-in-thin-college-free-agent-class-1.670748

He’s a throwback blueliner; a big open-ice hitter of some renown.

"Old school – keep your head up when he's on the ice," one NHL executive said of the 22-year-old from Edmonton who has generated interest from almost every NHL club.

Healey is listed at 6-feet and 196 pounds. Scouts say he's a decent first-pass defenceman but his forte is open-ice hitting and playing a hard, physical game. He projects as a depth or perhaps third-pairing type defenceman. He’s not a sure bet to play in the NHL, but certainly worth a shot.

"It's not a great year [for college free agents]," an NHL executive said. "[Healey] will get a contract. There's lots of interest in him."

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Bayreuther is probably the best defenseman in the ECAC, and has been for a few years. He's smart, a great passer, and moves well. Pretty sure he'll have multiple offers. McCarron is solid and moves pretty well for his size, but haven't seen as much of him so it's tough to say what kind of player he projects to be. I'd be surprised if he gets more than an AHL PTO at this point.

Spencer Foo (Union College junior) doesn't get as much buzz, but I think he may have a few offers this summer, and deservedly so.

I've watched every St Lawrence game for 15 years now.

Bayreuther is a very smart defenseman but needs to improve either his speed of decision making, or his physicality to be an NHL defenseman.

I think he'll probably be a good AHL guy, possibly a Trevor Van Riemsdyk type 3rd pairing D.

Kyle Hayton is the guy I think really has the stuff to be good, if he wasn't so damn tiny.

Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad