Top 6 Forwards: Reason For Excitement

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Im curious to know what sens fans think of their team right now, feels like you didnt upgrade your roster in any way this summer? You have Karlsson, but...what else? Do you think you'll end up in the bottom 5 or make the playoffs with that roster?

I am curious as to why you bothered posting here with such limited knowledge of the team.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I am curious as to why you bothered posting here with such limited knowledge of the team.

Fans of other teams are allowed to come and ask legitimate questions. The poster is trying to improve his knowledge of our team. There is nothing wrong with that.

To the rest of the league, it looks like we didn't make any moves to improve. I can see why the poster would pose the question.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Im curious to know what sens fans think of their team right now, feels like you didnt upgrade your roster in any way this summer? You have Karlsson, but...what else? Do you think you'll end up in the bottom 5 or make the playoffs with that roster?

We had youngest core in NHL and lineup and still made playoffs.

Our top 6 consists of:

Zibanejad: 22
Stone: 23 (rookie last year)
Hoffman: 25 (rookie last year)
Turris: 25

Our bottom 6 consists of:

Pageau: 22
Lazar: 20
Puempel/Prince: 21/22
Chiasson: 24

Top 4:

Ceci: 21
Wiercioch/Cowen: 24

Most of these guys gonna get better next year just by experience and some might even breakout and provide assets much more valuable than one can imagine being acquired in free agency or trade.

If Zibanejad improves it's like acquiring number 1 C. If Hoffman improves it's likea acquiring number 1 W if Lazar improves it's like an additional top 6 forward playing in bottom 6. If Pageau improves, amazing C depth Ottawa would have. If Wier/Cowen improve then we have solid number 4 D's if Ceci improves then we have a number 2-3 guy playing in 2nd pairing.

The Jangle Meister*

Lack of action? This team has way too many players on one way deals, there has been tremendous asset management happening this off season that was the action that is needed. You win by drafting and developing not signing FA's when you are already over the contract limit.

Seems to me you dont understand the situation very well. This team has players that are developing rapidly and are ready to contribute. This is also a very young team if you didnt happen to notice they have done a fantastic job of developing players you just named two of them. How do you think Tampa got so good?....

Where are all these top 6 forwards and top 4 D men readily available anyways? Without overpaying? This team needs a D man I agree but upfront they are absolutely fine, unless Philly is gonna flip the sens Giroux for Turris plus then I dont see where they have any holes that free agents can help.

you seem like another guy who has tunnel vision on Ottawa and lacks understanding or what other teams are today. Every team has good prospects.

Tampa added quiet a few quality depth players via free agency and trade - and completely revamped their defense with trades. Seems you are blindfolded to how these teams made a push - Chicago added top end talent and depth via trades and FA, La did the same - and so has Tampa. We have drafted great, like these teams, but we have not added the quality they have via free agency and trade. You fail to see this - like many posters.

The team needs a quality D man, so you agree we need an upgrade in that position - which is what I have said multiple times and imo now would be a good time to add it. Our offense is not fine, because once you expand your tunnel vision on Ottawa - write down our roster on paper - and compare it to the rosters of the top 5 teams in the league you will once again see we need improvements in that area as well.

Its cool to be a fan and be happy about the young team, the competitive team. But if this team wants to win a CUP, we need roster additions - if you think this team can just draft and draft and draft and then win a cup youre incorrect - no team has ever done that. The Ducks added Pronger and Niedermayer to name a few via trade and free agency after having excellent draft success. You and many posters need to wake up and smell the roses - I dont mind when people say we should add those additions later, thats fair to me just a difference of opinion and more urgency on my end. But to say we are 'fine' at forward or d if completely incorrect if you want to contend.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Jangle Meister*

I advocate a trade now for either a top 6 forward or top 4 d so we can attack the other position later in the year or next summer while making minor tweaks to our depth.

If you are asking me well who the hell do we get now, thats fair since we have missed the boat on most top 6 forwards that have already been dealt. So maybe adding a top 4 d is far more likely - just like guys who have suggested Fowler ect..

To me the earlier you can get those additions the better, because in two seasons some of these contracts will be off the books and our depth can be filled with top end prospects on ELC. Example: two seasons from now with an addition of an established top 6 forward

XXX-Zibanead-Stone
Macarthur-Turris-Ryan
Hoffman-Paul-Lindberg
Peumpel-Pageau-Lazar

The Jangle Meister*

That is why are opinions are so different. i personally do not see us winning a cup or going to the finals while we have Anderson not because he is bad but because i think it will take longer for us to get good enough.

i think in 3-5 years is when we start really competing for the cup if all goes well. Anderson will not be our goalie O'Connor, Hammond, or someone else will (someone good enough) Meanwhile we have a core group of Turris, Ryan, Stone, Karlsson, Ceci and 2 of Z-Bad, Lazar, White, Chabot, Paul, Prince, Puempel, Hoffman, Methot, 2016 1st (or other picks/prospects)

that group will be mostly in their primes and have enough experience and enough good supporting players to compete.

Unfortunately i don't view our team as team that will be able to win the cup year to year like Chicago or LA has but i think we will be able to get be a top team for a good enough amount of time that we can sneak a cup win in.

the 3 year window to me represents a time where we should be in the Cup discussion. Not that we necessarily have to win but being the top team in the East should be our goal at that 3 year. Its not like 3 years from now our team explodes, 3 years and beyond should be our contending window. But imo if we cant manage to become a top 3-5 team in the league within 3 seasons that is not good news. 3 years and many of our player will be priming while still insulating the team with young prospects like you said. 3-5 years to contend I am fine with though, ill agree on that.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I advocate a trade now for either a top 6 forward or top 4 d so we can attack the other position later in the year or next summer while making minor tweaks to our depth.

If you are asking me well who the hell do we get now, thats fair since we have missed the boat on most top 6 forwards that have already been dealt. So maybe adding a top 4 d is far more likely - just like guys who have suggested Fowler ect..

To me the earlier you can get those additions the better, because in two seasons some of these contracts will be off the books and our depth can be filled with top end prospects on ELC. Example: two seasons from now with an addition of an established top 6 forward

XXX-Zibanead-Stone
Macarthur-Turris-Ryan
Hoffman-Paul-Lindberg
Peumpel-Pageau-Lazar

Well, if you want a top 4 D, or a top 6 forward, you're going to have subtract 1 of Zibby, Turris, Stone, Ceci, Lazar or Hoff off that roster. Teams won't be giving away their top players for free, ya know.

That is the problem. It's easy to say bring in a top line forward! bring in a top defensemen! Teams aren't going to take our scrap players for their best guys.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Fans of other teams are allowed to come and ask legitimate questions. The poster is trying to improve his knowledge of our team. There is nothing wrong with that.

To the rest of the league, it looks like we didn't make any moves to improve. I can see why the poster would pose the question.

He could have Googled "Ottawa Senators roster" and that would have answered his question, or could have read this thread...

I think Sens fans have a very could reason to be excited for the upcoming season, young, skilled core that should improve year to year. A team doesnt need to add through free agency in order to improve. Improvement though maturation and internal growth is more likely way to improve than buying assets.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009

XXX-Zibanead-Stone
Macarthur-Turris-Ryan
Hoffman-Paul-Lindberg
Peumpel-Pageau-Lazar

Statements like make a trade for a top four D is very easy to make unless you are the one that has to make the trade.

Who is willing to part with a top 4D or top 6 forward? Who is available? Who do we trade. If you want quality you have to pay for it, meaning acquiring a player via trade can open a hole in another position.

I still want to see what Prince and Puempel can bring to the table over the course of a season before any moves are made. I strongly believe Sens are going to be a sleeper team next year.

J0sh

Jul 12, 2015
We would be worse off if we traded for a top 6 forward or a top 4 defenseman... We'd either have to overpay or take someone on the decline.

I can't wait to see how prince, puemple, wideman, lazar and paul do this year if they all get a callup.

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
you seem like another guy who has tunnel vision on Ottawa and lacks understanding or what other teams are today. Every team has good prospects.

Tampa added quiet a few quality depth players via free agency and trade - and completely revamped their defense with trades. Seems you are blindfolded to how these teams made a push - Chicago added top end talent and depth via trades and FA, La did the same - and so has Tampa. We have drafted great, like these teams, but we have not added the quality they have via free agency and trade. You fail to see this - like many posters.

The team needs a quality D man, so you agree we need an upgrade in that position - which is what I have said multiple times and imo now would be a good time to add it. Our offense is not fine, because once you expand your tunnel vision on Ottawa - write down our roster on paper - and compare it to the rosters of the top 5 teams in the league you will once again see we need improvements in that area as well.

Its cool to be a fan and be happy about the young team, the competitive team. But if this team wants to win a CUP, we need roster additions - if you think this team can just draft and draft and draft and then win a cup youre incorrect - no team has ever done that. The Ducks added Pronger and Niedermayer to name a few via trade and free agency after having excellent draft success. You and many posters need to wake up and smell the roses - I dont mind when people say we should add those additions later, thats fair to me just a difference of opinion and more urgency on my end. But to say we are 'fine' at forward or d if completely incorrect if you want to contend.

Comparing the youngest team in the NHL to Chicago, Tampa, Anaheim, and LA and then telling other posters to wake up and smell the roses because they don't have the same opinion as you is ignorant. Ottawa has made big trades that improved the club that you didn't seem to address. Trading for Turris, Ryan, and Methot have all improved the current roster... And they happened early! Just like you advocated for, have some patience.

Last season Sens team stats.

Goals for - 9th
Goals against - 13th
Power play - 22nd
Penalty Kill - 11th

Based on the numbers, Ottawa's offence is in fact "fine" and they need to improve the power play. Hopefully getting Legwand off the second unit and giving Hoffman those minutes will be a good start.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Tunnel vision...............

Look at the average age of the roster. This is not the time to go for it at all, and not every team drafts and develops like Ottawa thats why they have success as a small market. To maximize your assets when you are a small market organization you draft develop well wait until your core hits the prime then you start moving multiple assets for elite players that are further along in their careers. With most of the core 25 and under it should be fairly obvious this is not the time.

If you think that Niedermayer and Pronger are just going to fall into this teams lap you are mistaken. Both those players were in extraodinairy situations and it came to Anaheim's benefit. Scott wanted to play with his brother and Pronger had a situation in edmonton where he needed out fast.... Guess which team drafted and developed well enough to flip multiple assets for him.... Yup Anaheim.

Christian Erhoff is not Scott Niedermayer or Chris Pronger.

Secondly with the way the youngsters played in the second half under Cameron does it not interest you in the slightest to see how they continue to progress before just casting them off? I know I am most excited to see how this team continues to develop especially with players like Wideman, Prince and Puemple pushing for spots.

I am all for making moves when the time is right, which is clearly not now.

Tampa made some smart moves asset management wise especially the one for St Louis which was a trade for later not now because the core is so young.... Then the next season they made the SCF, seems like the right play to me. They filled holes with Carle and Garrison in the off season but Ottawa doesnt have those glaring holes and the sens already have too many contracts another issue Tampa didnt have.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
so out of all the moves made this summer, Ottawa has made the greatest improvement?

****ing laughable

When you will have followed the NHL for a long enough time, you will understand that what happens during the summer and people's predictions rarely match what happens during the season...

In Ottawa's case, there is no point on adding any player unless it's a young star... but that's not easy to do. They proved before that they have what it takes to make that kind of trade (Silfverberg, Noesen and even a 1st were made available), and with the insane organizational depth they have right now, it's just a matter of when does the opportunity comes again.

But not knowing who are Anderson, Turris, Stone, Ryan, Zibanejad, Michalek, MacArthur, Hoffman, Ceci and Methot is not a lack of Ottawa Sens knowledge... but more a lack of NHL knowledge...

"You have Karlsson, but...what else? Do you think you'll end up in the bottom 5 or make the playoffs with that roster?"

I understand this part warranted several answers. It's not like the Sens weren't a top team in the second half of the season, and the BEST team by far down the stretch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad