Top 6 Forwards: Reason For Excitement

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
For the first time since we went to the stanley cup finals, we are entering the year with 6 legit top 6 forwards.

Every year, i will post the players that produced top 6(40+pts) the previous year. These are assumed to be player we expect to produce that upcoming year.
(in brackets are the previous years point totals above 40 pts)
07-08:4
heatley(105)
Spezza(87)
Alfredsson(87)
Fisher(48)

08-09:5
Spezz(92)
Alfredsson(89)
heatley(82)
vermette(53)
fisher(47)

09-10:4
alfredsson(74)
spezza(73)
Kovalev(65)
Michalek(57)

10-11:4
alfredsson(71)
spezza(57)
Fisher(53)
Kovalev(49)

11-12:1
Spezza(57)

12-13:3
spezza(84)
michalek(60)
alfredsson(59)

13-14:3(plus 25 points due to shorterned season)
Turris(29)
alfredsson(26)
*spezza(5) We obviously went into this season regarding him as a legitimate top 6 forward

14-15: 3
Turris(58)
macarthur(55)
ryan(48)

15-16:6
stone(64)
turris(64)
ryan(54)
hoffman(48)
zibanejad(46)
*macarthur(36) missed 20 games.
With guys like michalek(34) and a bunch of young guys like lazar,puempel,chiasson,prince,pageau who can break out at any time.

Other teams don't seem to be impressed with our forward depth but i think it's going to be the biggest reason for our success. finally we can make mock line ups and actually have good players and not just fill ins or hopefuls.

I'm so pumped about how our top 6, or even top 9 is shaping up to look like. Were going to score lots of goals spread out over our whole lineup.

I havent been this excited about our forward group since the days of alfredsson,hossa,havlat etc. that i stopped doing mock line ups. Now i like doing them again haha. :handclap: :yo:

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Every other team is getting better too. :(

Yeah and many are getting worse.

We're one of the teams getting better.

vancouver is getting worse, san jose is getting worse, detroit is getting worse,boston is getting worse, toronto is going to be an all time bad, etc.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
A bit misleading not including other sub-40 point guys who didn't play a full season for the early list, but then including MacArthur as a 40 point guy because he was injured. For instance, Stillman whom we added in '08 was a 65 point player that year when he came to the team. And another year, Michalek was well over a 40 game pace with 34 points in 60+ games. But I digress.

Still an interesting take. Not that I'm looking at it totally differently, but I'm of the mind we're modeling our team around rolling out more of an elite top 9 with a better than average 4th line, which will more than make up for the fact our top line is probably average at best. Probably below average when you get past the first round of the playoffs. But over a long series - along with some great D and goaltending - that depth can beat a top heavy team like the Pens or Lightning. We certainly saw that last year during our end of season run that saw different lines get hot and carry the team, and the team continue to win even when some of the top players and lines got cold.

With that in mind, it is often better at even strength to roll out your top 6 forwards in pairs across the top 9, so you then have guys like Lazar, Pageau and Michalek playing alongside a slightly more elite pair. And then you load up the lines for PP.

I'm certainly in agreement we're going in the right direction.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Stillman never started a season with the sens. That's why he's not there. I'm naming the players we started that year and then showing their previous years points. But you do make a good point. I could have included michalek close to 40 point years where he was injured

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Basically for the first time in a long time, we can go into the season with 6 guys who we know can produce, and not have to rely on plugging in guys like shannon, regin, filatov,greening,robitaille,latendresse in our top 6 and hope for the best. We go in with guys who have already produce in the league, and aren't at the end of their careers(kovalev,legwand).

HispanicAtTheDisco

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, Ont.
Basically for the first time in a long time, we can go into the season with 6 guys who we know can produce, and not have to rely on plugging in guys like shannon, regin, filatov,greening,robitaille,latendresse in our top 6 and hope for the best. We go in with guys who have already produce in the league, and aren't at the end of their careers(kovalev,legwand).

What about a top 6 of just those guys.

Filatov-Regin-Shannon
Greening-Robitaille-Latandresse

I think they could maybe get 40 if you add them all together.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

vancouver is getting worse, san jose is getting worse, detroit is getting worse,boston is getting worse, toronto is going to be an all time bad, etc.

I think San Jose right now best they been all-around in some time.

WhiteLight*

I think San Jose right now best they been all-around in some time.

yeah I don't know what their GM was thinking last summer. They came in with 0 depth and their big off-season signing was John Scott. Bunch of plugs in their bottom 6 and a weak D.

Now they got Martin and pushed Dillon down to the 3rd pair. Got Ward and will have Tierney for the full year - two big adds while not losing anything. Much better than last year.

Marleau - Couture - Pavelski
Hertl - Thornton - Ward
Nieto - Tierney - Karlsson
Goodrow - Wingels - Smith
Brown

Vlasic - Burns
Martin - Braun
Dillon - Mueller
Tennyson

Jones
Stalock

should be back in the playoffs

Karl Cowensson

I has cheezburger
Oct 27, 2008
Northern Ontario
I'm ok if Ryan and Mac have peaked, they shouldn't see a huge decline just yet. The significant thing is that the other top 6 forwards are still getting better! And we have a strong 3rd line of developing talent as well. Really the only line that will probably disappoint will be the 4th. I'm assuming Smith, Chiasson, Neil and Greening will ride out their contracts with limited 4th line mins. One of the key reasons this team flourished under Cameron was we suddenly become an effective 3 line team, hopefully those lines just get better.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I agree wit dis thread. Some excellent times coming ahead.

Stone: 60-80
Turris: 60-65
Zibanejad: 50-65
Ryan: 60-70
hoffman: 45-75

As some of you will notice I've put Hoffman up there in points. I think that's his ceiling. He's like Havlat and he's dominated every league and I see why he can't continue improving on this one after a 30 goal season where last 20 games he didnt do much too and was demoted.

If Stone and Turris stay the same and Ryan, Zibanejad, Hoffman improve by 10 points that'll make our team a contender in the east, IMO.

Then we got Lazar, Pageau, Michalek a line that could be among the best 3rd lines in the league etc...

We need to continue growing for sure and it starts with our top talents, especially Hoffman and Zibanejad. Those guys are incredibly key, IMO.

Lol lest we forget Karlsson who probably will lead all in points as well.

BigBush*

Good well rounded top 6 for sure. We are missing elite players (I'd argue Stone is the only 1st line player, and that's if he picks up where he left off), but it's still a solid group.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I think we'll have a powerful top 9 that will continue to grow.

We could do this in the top 9

Ryan Turris Stone (new Pizza-like line)

MacArthur Zibanejad Michalek (big, responsible fast... Hopefully MacArthur could be a playmaker for this line.

Hoffman Pageau Lazar (speed kills! Plus it is responsible! Needs Lazar to play less safe and be more creative and shoot more.

We can switch up some of the Wingers to either side... Ryan could be sick as a trigger guy for the 2 best playmakers we have at forward (who can also shoot). On the Zibby line Ryan needs to pass to get the others going... With Stone and Turris he could shoot more while also passing to two guys who have great shots.

If we had a 5 man unit of Ryan-Turris Stone Karlsson Methot 15/16 mins a game at even strength they could match or surpass ANY 5 man unit an elite team throws out at both ends of the ice. Stacking the best talent means the secondary lines need to be able to put pucks in the net though. The 2nd and 3rd lines would be very good at possession and physicality and defence regardless. Could they score enough to make us an elite team? Can the 2nd/3rd pairing defence compliment the Zibby and Pageau lines and help them out offensively? Those are the question marks.

I never heard others suggest Ryan Turris Stone as a stacked first line. But Ryan can play LW... It does make a lot of sense. That line would be sick defensively. Stealing pucks, keeping pressure, being so smart. It wouldn't be as all-world offensively as the Pizza line... But could be better defensively and they would have peak Karlsson so you get 4 elite (or at least extremely good) offensive talents and a very smart defensive and physical presence in Methot. I think it is a definite step up from Phillips-Volchenkov... As good as they were.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
It really is a solid group of players that Murray has put together, hopefully he gets to see them make a deep run.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
A bit misleading not including other sub-40 point guys who didn't play a full season for the early list, but then including MacArthur as a 40 point guy because he was injured. For instance, Stillman whom we added in '08 was a 65 point player that year when he came to the team. And another year, Michalek was well over a 40 game pace with 34 points in 60+ games. But I digress.

Still an interesting take. Not that I'm looking at it totally differently, but I'm of the mind we're modeling our team around rolling out more of an elite top 9 with a better than average 4th line, which will more than make up for the fact our top line is probably average at best. Probably below average when you get past the first round of the playoffs. But over a long series - along with some great D and goaltending - that depth can beat a top heavy team like the Pens or Lightning. We certainly saw that last year during our end of season run that saw different lines get hot and carry the team, and the team continue to win even when some of the top players and lines got cold.

With that in mind, it is often better at even strength to roll out your top 6 forwards in pairs across the top 9, so you then have guys like Lazar, Pageau and Michalek playing alongside a slightly more elite pair. And then you load up the lines for PP.

I'm certainly in agreement we're going in the right direction.

Yes, I agree with trying to have some offensive players on the 3rd and 4th lines, as they may be able to take advantage of lower skilled players on other team's 3rd and 4th lines if those teams have elite players with elite level salaries on the 1st lines, leaving fewer dollars for better skilled 3rd and 4th liners.

Hopefully Zibanejad will have a breakout year next season.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

MacArthur Zibanejad Michalek (big, responsible fast... Hopefully MacArthur could be a playmaker for this line.

Hoffman Pageau Lazar (speed kills! Plus it is responsible! Needs Lazar to play less safe and be more creative and shoot more.

We can switch up some of the Wingers to either side... Ryan could be sick as a trigger guy for the 2 best playmakers we have at forward (who can also shoot). On the Zibby line Ryan needs to pass to get the others going... With Stone and Turris he could shoot more while also passing to two guys who have great shots.

If we had a 5 man unit of Ryan-Turris Stone Karlsson Methot 15/16 mins a game at even strength they could match or surpass ANY 5 man unit an elite team throws out at both ends of the ice. Stacking the best talent means the secondary lines need to be able to put pucks in the net though. The 2nd and 3rd lines would be very good at possession and physicality and defence regardless. Could they score enough to make us an elite team? Can the 2nd/3rd pairing defence compliment the Zibby and Pageau lines and help them out offensively? Those are the question marks.

I never heard others suggest Ryan Turris Stone as a stacked first line. But Ryan can play LW... It does make a lot of sense. That line would be sick defensively. Stealing pucks, keeping pressure, being so smart. It wouldn't be as all-world offensively as the Pizza line... But could be better defensively and they would have peak Karlsson so you get 4 elite (or at least extremely good) offensive talents and a very smart defensive and physical presence in Methot. I think it is a definite step up from Phillips-Volchenkov... As good as they were.

A lot of different line combos that can be used. Personally, I'd keep Mac with Turris and Stone because they appeared to have an excellent chemistry. Then you have Hoffman - ZBad and Ryan, because when Ryan was on, he made Hoffman and Zbad really, really effective.

Then you have Michalek (who can be moved up and down the lineup) with Pageau and Lazar, giving you youth + experience, although I'm tempted to say put Puempel there.

Then, soon enough, you'll have Paul, Prince, White etc. all muscling their way into the lineup.

Good times lie ahead for the Sens.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Every other team is getting better too. :(

Yes they are but our improvement is greater.

Are young players are just starting to show what they can do.
D will improve, we're one top 3 away of having a better than average defense

I like when posters are optimist

I always enjoy reading your posts. Cause I mostly agree with them.

It really is a solid group of players that Murray has put together, hopefully he gets to see them make a deep run.

You too !

The Jangle Meister*

this roster doesn't have a chance of going deep in the playoffs.

improvements are needed

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Improvements will come simply because we'll have less rookies on the team and other young players will have an extra year of experience under their belt.

I like Murray's patient approach. Next summer is the time to add.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad