Top 6 Forwards: Reason For Excitement

The Jangle Meister*

Improvements will come simply because we'll have less rookies on the team and other young players will have an extra year of experience under their belt.

I like Murray's patient approach. Next summer is the time to add.

interesting, what pieces should we go for next summer?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
MacArthur - Turris - Ryan - experienced & when together a potent line
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Stone - three guys who everyone should be excited about
Puempel - Lazar/White - Lindberg - a future 3rd line
Chiasson - Paul - Robinson - potential 4th line, maybe Gagné too

Methot - Karlsson - very good pair
Wiercioch - Ceci - has some growing to do together
Cowen - Wideman/Boroweicki - could be a good pairing, we'll see

Excited About - Chabot, Harpur, Jaros & Wikstrand for D prospects

O'Connor - Hogberg - both have #1 goalie potential

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
so out of all the moves made this summer, Ottawa has made the greatest improvement?

****ing laughable

Keep focusing on the last 3 weeks to look at our improvements, it's so short sighted.

What about the change of the coach? The way the team played in the last two months of the season? An healthy Stone and Anderson starting vs MTL during the playoffs and we would have made it to the 2nd round.

Murray likes to improve the team late November, Turris and Cameron were both addition during that time.

There isn't much to change beside acquiring a 3D but I don't foresee any major player changes before November. That will give the time to Murray to evaluate what to do with Cowen and Wiercioch.

But our greatest improvements will come from our young players getting better. We have one of the youngest team in the league, we've only seen the point of the iceberg last spring.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
this roster doesn't have a chance of going deep in the playoffs.

improvements are needed

I disagree that they have no chance of going deep... But they might not... There is a great deal of parity in the East (and the whole league).

However we have plenty of picks (and maybe warm body players) and plenty of cap space to make 1/2 key additions at the deadline if this roster that starts the season and plays for 60 games shows real promise. We can make additions at the deadline to really compete for the Cup. Or we can wait and go all in the following year or the year after if we don't look ready this season.

We have such promise and really exciting promise for this year... And all kinds of flexibility.

The forwards to me are pretty darn good and deep. The 3-7 D spots are the question marks. They could be pretty awful... Or they could be pretty good. I don't think anyone will be able to tell until we are 20 games in. Everyone outside of Karlsson/Methot is a big question mark... Even Ceci. They could be really, really, really good. Their is that possibility. Wideman could be lights out. Ceci could go to the next level. Wiercioch could be really effective. Cowen could be a monster big D complimented by Ceci or Wideman really moving the puck. Boro could develop even more and be the heart of a gutsy team... Or all 5 could be awful... Or some mix of all of that. No one... Not the players, fans, coach or Murray can really project out anyone for the following season except that Boro will be relentlessly physical and bleed for the team... Nothing is at all settled.

The forwards are going to be good. All 4 lines. No matter who makes the roster, nor who is on what line... It doesn't matter... Forwards will be good to great and the D is a big ? (At least we have the absolute top D in the world though... So that mitigates the problem substantially.)

Anderson is pretty much guaranteed to be solid for 50 or more games. Hammond is a question mark. Cameron is pretty obviously effective with this roster.

So it will be interesting to see how it all plays out. Most exciting year since 07 or 08 as a fan... I like so much about this team... That I bought a full season of tickets yesterday instead of going game to game... So they better be good!

The Jangle Meister*

Another number 1 winger and a top 2-3 defender. One via trade the other free agency.

but RKL!! Havnt we known this for months? these are the pieces we need to contend and I 100% agree with you. Going after one of those pieces this summer would be ideal imo, especially if they have term.

The Jangle Meister*

Keep focusing on the last 3 weeks to look at our improvements, it's so short sighted.

What about the change of the coach? The way the team played in the last two months of the season? An healthy Stone and Anderson starting vs MTL during the playoffs and we would have made it to the 2nd round.

Murray likes to improve the team late November, Turris and Cameron were both addition during that time.

There isn't much to change beside acquiring a 3D but I don't foresee any major player changes before November. That will give the time to Murray to evaluate what to do with Cowen and Wiercioch.

But our greatest improvements will come from our young players getting better. We have one of the youngest team in the league, we've only seen the point of the iceberg last spring.

well I agree we will improve to an extent through time, young players should hopefully get better. IMO even when those players have reached their potential we will still need roster upgrades. To say we have improved more than any team this summer is simply wrong, as or right now we are a middle of the pack team. If we truly want to go deep in the playoffs instead of hypothetically clawing our way into the 2nd round (we did not make the 2nd round - did not, injuries are realistic) we need roster upgrades.

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
but RKL!! Havnt we known this for months? these are the pieces we need to contend and I 100% agree with you. Going after one of those pieces this summer would be ideal imo, especially if they have term.

we are better off waiting a year to see if any of our young guys can fill one of those roles.

many of our players need another year before they become what we want/see them as and those that are that could sue a year to solidify those spots. atm it makes more sense to wait

guys that need to solidify their spots:
Stone
Hoffman
JGP
Boro

Guys that need a year to become what we want/see them as:
Z-Bad
Ceci
Lazar

Young guys that can become what we need within the year (might not):
Cowen
Weir
Prince
Puemple

give all these guys 1 more year then next year fill the holes.

The Jangle Meister*

we are better off waiting a year to see if any of our young guys can fill one of those roles.

many of our players need another year before they become what we want/see them as and those that are that could sue a year to solidify those spots. atm it makes more sense to wait

guys that need to solidify their spots:
Stone
Hoffman
JGP
Boro

Guys that need a year to become what we want/see them as:
Z-Bad
Ceci
Lazar

Young guys that can become what we need within the year (might not):
Cowen
Weir
Prince
Puemple

give all these guys 1 more year then next year fill the holes.

I completely disagree, none of the players above will fulfill those two needs. Because those needs are additions to the players above. Its not like we need a top line winger - then bam Stone fulfills it - we need a top line player in addition to Stone, in addition to Hoffman.

The only benefit of waiting is to see who you are willing to move for upgrades out of the guys you have mentioned. And imo management should already have a very good grasp of that. Fans have just become compliant with the lack of action, when in reality if we management to add a top 6 or top 4 d man tomorrow to this group everyone of us would be ecstatic - because we all know those pieces are needs for our team going forward.

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
I completely disagree, none of the players above will fulfill those two needs. Because those needs are additions to the players above. Its not like we need a top line winger - then bam Stone fulfills it - we need a top line player in addition to Stone, in addition to Hoffman.

The only benefit of waiting is to see who you are willing to move for upgrades out of the guys you have mentioned. And imo management should already have a very good grasp of that. Fans have just become compliant with the lack of action, when in reality if we management to add a top 6 or top 4 d man tomorrow to this group everyone of us would be ecstatic - because we all know those pieces are needs for our team going forward.

you misunderstand what i was saying

Stone and Hoffman had great season and as of now we assume they are top 6 forwards but given them another year to solidify it would not hurt. given another year of development to guys like Lazar, Ceci, and Z-Bad would be good.

they guys i see maybe (unlikely but maybe) filling our need (by the 2016-17 season) are Cowen, Weir, Prince, and Puemple

what your not considering is the moment we trade for a #1 LW and #2 LD we are putting expectations on our team they they may need another year to be able to meat. wait a year then make the move. because that gives us 2 advantages

1. our current players are more ready for the added expectations
2. we are able to more accurately ***** the players we are getting as we are not getting them a year before they are needed.

i know you wont agree because your of the mind set that we should improve right now and go into next season looking to get past round 2 so any argument good or bad that goes against that you wont agree with. that not to say you wont respect said Argument but you are unlikely to change your mind set based of what i or any other poster says.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I kind of agree with Mister Fanatic. This team needs does need some upgrades if it wants to go deep.

Having said that, i am willing to wait a little longer to let the kids develop. I just hope that if guys like Cowen or Weircioch end up not working out, Murray does something about it.

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

But who are you gonna trade for those assets?

Hoffman/Puempel/Prince/Lazar/Wiercioch/Cowen ?

I completely agree with cayman, why make a move now when we have a lot of uncertainty and chemistry going on.

Hoffman can become that top liner we looking for and Lazar/Puempel can replace his ability from last year.

What if we trade Prince thinking Puempel gonna be better and Prince does better than Puempel. What if we package Wier+Puempel for a top 3-4 forward and that player doesn't do as well a Wier ends up doing and Puempel breaks out as a sniper.

Why mess with chemistry and a winning lockeroom when we can give them 1 more year and see where the true holes lie. Then we can fill them in internally.

For example, if Colin White tears it up next year and one of Hoffman/Lazar make huge leaps in progress but the other just stagnant then package the stagnant player who still probably has great value but we know we ain't moving the weaker of the 3 options etc...

The only time we should panic is if it's december and our defense is a mess and Murray hasn't improved it. For now, let them play, they just made history just recently.

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
I agree wit dis thread. Some excellent times coming ahead.

Stone: 60-80
Turris: 60-65
Zibanejad: 50-65
Ryan: 60-70
hoffman: 45-75

As some of you will notice I've put Hoffman up there in points. I think that's his ceiling. He's like Havlat and he's dominated every league and I see why he can't continue improving on this one after a 30 goal season where last 20 games he didnt do much too and was demoted.

If Stone and Turris stay the same and Ryan, Zibanejad, Hoffman improve by 10 points that'll make our team a contender in the east, IMO.

Then we got Lazar, Pageau, Michalek a line that could be among the best 3rd lines in the league etc...

We need to continue growing for sure and it starts with our top talents, especially Hoffman and Zibanejad. Those guys are incredibly key, IMO.

Lol lest we forget Karlsson who probably will lead all in points as well.

love it.

The Jangle Meister*

I do believe making the 2nd round of the playoffs is a must next season, tis my opinion however. I see what you guys are saying though.

Im more so of the mindset that last season was an a season to identify needs. We moved Spezza and let Turris and Zib run with it while seeing what we have in Stone Hoffman Pageau and Lazar up front.

It does depend on what we trade, but more importantly who we trade for - someone relatively young that either has term or is willing to resign allows you to give up some of the pieces you are saying. Hell maybe you make a trade for a guy like Rychel similar to a Turris for Runblad ordeal.

I still believe there will be a trade this summer, after the RFA signings happen. And I believe BM knows its in the best interest for the team to improve the roster to build on a successful end of the season. That success should be insulated by established talent not a few more prospects, there is a slight risk of some of our young guys taking steps back and you want to minimize that risk. And if some of our prospects get moved for talent that knowingly will make the team better next season imo you make that move. Its pretty obvious BM wants to upgrade the team now and imo he should. Its just a matter of if he is successful at doing that this off season or not.

The Jangle Meister*

every single year you will have uncertainty, as almost every year on every team you have a player or two coming in as a rookie or 2nd/3rd year player. With that mindset you will be stagnant in making moves. Next year its Paul Mccormick and Lindberg, the year after that its a guy like Gange seeing a few games. You will always have uncertainty in how a player will perform the following season, even aside from prospects we can be uncertain on how Bobby Ryan will come to play next year.

Every move has risk, you can trade a player that will turn out into something big - but you are just as likely to get a player in return that works wonders with your squad. Our short window to contend it within 3 seasons - based on certain players priming and Andersons contract. In that case whatever we do this off season will effect our 3 year window - generally why we would want to go for a guy in his mid to late 20's. To me there is not making moves because you a uncertain about some players, or making a move for an established player you a far more certain about. Obtaining talent that can stick with us for 3 seasons minimum is exactly what we should be doing now until that gap ends. IMO our needs will continue to be a top 6 forward and top 4 d until those pieces are obtained, no ham in addressing one of those items now - and imo the earlier you can get those pieces the better so we can tweak the roster in that 3 year gap to truly contend.

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
every single year you will have uncertainty, as almost every year on every team you have a player or two coming in as a rookie or 2nd/3rd year player. With that mindset you will be stagnant in making moves. Next year its Paul Mccormick and Lindberg, the year after that its a guy like Gange seeing a few games. You will always have uncertainty in how a player will perform the following season, even aside from prospects we can be uncertain on how Bobby Ryan will come to play next year.

Every move has risk, you can trade a player that will turn out into something big - but you are just as likely to get a player in return that works wonders with your squad. Our short window to contend it within 3 seasons - based on certain players priming and Andersons contract. In that case whatever we do this off season will effect our 3 year window - generally why we would want to go for a guy in his mid to late 20's. To me there is not making moves because you a uncertain about some players, or making a move for an established player you a far more certain about. Obtaining talent that can stick with us for 3 seasons minimum is exactly what we should be doing now until that gap ends. IMO our needs will continue to be a top 6 forward and top 4 d until those pieces are obtained, no ham in addressing one of those items now - and imo the earlier you can get those pieces the better so we can tweak the roster in that 3 year gap to truly contend.

That is why are opinions are so different. i personally do not see us winning a cup or going to the finals while we have Anderson not because he is bad but because i think it will take longer for us to get good enough.

i think in 3-5 years is when we start really competing for the cup if all goes well. Anderson will not be our goalie O'Connor, Hammond, or someone else will (someone good enough) Meanwhile we have a core group of Turris, Ryan, Stone, Karlsson, Ceci and 2 of Z-Bad, Lazar, White, Chabot, Paul, Prince, Puempel, Hoffman, Methot, 2016 1st (or other picks/prospects)

that group will be mostly in their primes and have enough experience and enough good supporting players to compete.

Unfortunately i don't view our team as team that will be able to win the cup year to year like Chicago or LA has but i think we will be able to get be a top team for a good enough amount of time that we can sneak a cup win in.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
That is why are opinions are so different. i personally do not see us winning a cup or going to the finals while we have Anderson not because he is bad but because i think it will take longer for us to get good enough.

i think in 3-5 years is when we start really competing for the cup if all goes well. Anderson will not be our goalie O'Connor, Hammond, or someone else will (someone good enough) Meanwhile we have a core group of Turris, Ryan, Stone, Karlsson, Ceci and 2 of Z-Bad, Lazar, White, Chabot, Paul, Prince, Puempel, Hoffman, Methot, 2016 1st (or other picks/prospects)

that group will be mostly in their primes and have enough experience and enough good supporting players to compete.

Unfortunately i don't view our team as team that will be able to win the cup year to year like Chicago or LA has but i think we will be able to get be a top team for a good enough amount of time that we can sneak a cup win in.

Agreed.

The team is trending to become a Detroit Red Wings model. Be an overall above average team that makes the playoffs every year, has no big weaknesses, and has a quality prospect/farm system that continues to propel the team into the middle third (verging on top 10) in the league.

It's basically a case of making the playoffs, and hoping the matchups in any given year are either favorable, or we have a couple of guys that surprise and push us past a tough matchup.

We're not going to ever be a dominant team like a Chicago, or a super lucky team like LA that gets a huge gift of free agent/trade signings to magically complete the roster.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
Agreed.

The team is trending to become a Detroit Red Wings model. Be an overall above average team that makes the playoffs every year, has no big weaknesses, and has a quality prospect/farm system that continues to propel the team into the middle third (verging on top 10) in the league.

It's basically a case of making the playoffs, and hoping the matchups in any given year are either favorable, or we have a couple of guys that surprise and push us past a tough matchup.

We're not going to ever be a dominant team like a Chicago, or a super lucky team like LA that gets a huge gift of free agent/trade signings to magically complete the roster.

I am completely fine with that.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Im curious to know what sens fans think of their team right now, feels like you didnt upgrade your roster in any way this summer? You have Karlsson, but...what else? Do you think you'll end up in the bottom 5 or make the playoffs with that roster?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Im curious to know what sens fans think of their team right now, feels like you didnt upgrade your roster in any way this summer? You have Karlsson, but...what else? Do you think you'll end up in the bottom 5 or make the playoffs with that roster?

Sens have a young team of improving players growing into their roles. IMO the Sens can focus on having 3 good lines (2nd line types) vs the traditional 1,2,3. Their prospect pool is getting better. Provided Stone, Zib, Pageau all take another step and their D improves a little they should be in the mix for a playoff spot again. Karlsson is the wild card to push the offense.

Sens92

Jan 21, 2013
Ottawa, ON

I see them being a bubble team similar to what they were last season. It really depends on how they build on where they ended off last year, our main additions are going to be the experience guys like Stone, Zibby, Hoffman, Pageau, Lazar, Puempel and Weircoch gained. We have a gritty, hard-nosed team that can sting you, but all the pieces have to move together in the right direction for the Sens to make some noise next year. We'll probably see a similar win total, the difference will be their consistency.

Definitely not bad enough to be a bottom 5 team unless they something drastic happens in the locker room.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

A lot of our upgrades will come from additional experience and maturity. Our roster is very young, and we have a few kids who can make the jump to the NHL that will replace the old geezers in the next year or two.

A lot of things depend on the team continuing to build on the style Cameron is teaching, overall health and growth of our blueline. And avoiding any major sophomore slumps.

We will likely be a bubble team this year. All depends on how consistent the kids are.

Edit: What FWIW88 and Sens92 said. Excellent points all around.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Improved obviously. We're young and getting better. We have a bunch of young up and coming guys ready to break out.

This is the most excited i've been about the sens since the early to mid 2000s. Does that say anything to you?

Look at our forwards. We have 7 guys who can get 40 points on any give year plus young guys like like pageau, lazar, chiasson who can get 30 and a bunch of young guys pushing for the roster like puempel and prince who have a decently high pedigree. They aren't late picks by any means.

With anderson, we're guaranteed above average goaltending barring an injury.

Our defense is the only real question in my opinion, and like you said, we have karlsson, one of the best players in the world. We have methot who is as solid defensively as they come. We have young guys like ceci and wiercioch breaking out. We also have cowen who we're hoping can rebuild.

Striclty comparing sens to sens, this team looks to be shaping up as good as the team from a decade ago. Expect playoffs as the norm from now on.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Lack of action? This team has way too many players on one way deals, there has been tremendous asset management happening this off season that was the action that is needed. You win by drafting and developing not signing FA's when you are already over the contract limit.

Seems to me you dont understand the situation very well. This team has players that are developing rapidly and are ready to contribute. This is also a very young team if you didnt happen to notice they have done a fantastic job of developing players you just named two of them. How do you think Tampa got so good?....

Where are all these top 6 forwards and top 4 D men readily available anyways? Without overpaying? This team needs a D man I agree but upfront they are absolutely fine, unless Philly is gonna flip the sens Giroux for Turris plus then I dont see where they have any holes that free agents can help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad