top 5 worst current leaf players and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
The Leafs aren't the Harlem Globetrotters of the NHL. They have some bad players, just like the rest of the teams in the league. I don't see the point of this thread. I guess there will always be a segment of the fanbase that will dwell on the negative, no matter how well the team is doing.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Surprise Top 5 Worst of the Day Legends Row

1. Jake Gardiner
2. Rickard Wallin
3. Jason Blake
4. Mike Komisarek
5. Jonas Gustavsson (The Monster)

The opposite of the Legends Row would be a "Pressbox" and statues of Don Beaupre, Vesa Toskala, Andy Wozniewski, Mike Craig, etc. would all be sitting side by side in their dress shirts in various states of eating popcorn, checking cell phones or other era appropriate props...

KLM-Line

May 8, 2007
Munich
Polak, Komarov, Martin, Bozak and Zaitsev ... Gardiner had a really rough start to the season as well.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
1 Polak - Far too many flaws. Icings, Penalties, Speed
2 Martin - Only moves in a straight line and has very limited awareness
3 Komarov - Is overpaid now, has slowed down substantially (Good 4th liner but slowing down rapidly)
4 Moore - He is very much lost in the department of awareness. Would be a good player otherwise
5 Carrick - Has been far to inconsistent this year. Is it usage? He is better than Polak and should be in

Honorable mentions

6 Leivo - He is a good player no doubt but often looks lost in his own zone. Needs refinement.
7 Zaitsev - His awareness and his feet and decision making process is not where it should be for his $$$
8 Brown - He looks OK but fades in and out a lot
9 Bozak - He plays like a superior Moore and always has. Looks a little slower and less productive
10 Hyman - He is a total passenger getting points on his line but it works. He is here for missed chances

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I am going to go based on expectations

1. Polak. Just bad. No words.
2. Martin. I knew the contract was bad the moment we signed it. Seeing it now.
3. Zaitsev. Promising rookie season, seems to have taken a step backwards
4. Bozak. A lot of the season with favorable OZ starts and good linemates he has not been that good
5. Brown. I like Brown quite a bit, but he hasn't been nearly as noticeable this season for me.

Overall though. I am happy with the team, this is purely a gun to my head, name 5 names type of deal.

Reality is after Polak, Martin, and depending on the night Zaitsev/Bozak, I like everything.
I think the nice thing about Brown is that he isn’t noticeable, but is responsible in his own end, plays the P.K., and quietly puts up 20 goals

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Very stupid thread. Why can't we just enjoy our 6th ranked team in the league without having to create threads on the daily over who are the worst players on this team or who is the new whipping boy? We are TOP4 in goals, 14th in GA, our home record is 22-8-2, and our road record was pretty decent too before this bad stretch of games without AM. We are a young team still learning what it takes to win every game, and we have consistently been in the upper echelon of the league this year. These are all positives for a young team on the rise.

It's quite sad the way we treat players, it's normal for them to go games without producing and what do we do? We start making trade proposals, or threads about who is our Top-5 worst players:facepalm:.

How do you think players survived on other teams when they had some bad games or even a bad season? How do you expect players to grow and evolve over their time here if after every bad game or stretch of play we start making up proposals for what they're worth.

Connor Brown was amazing last year, no doubt this year he has dropped a bit, but we have so many sophomores who have struggled with consistency, it's a part of the NHL. All teams go through it, what makes Toronto so special that if we get a 'bad' sophomore season we have to trade them for a bag of pucks or a draft pick? He's a 20-20 guy, which I am happy with. I hope he's a Leaf for life, but you never know. This year currently he's at 13-11. We signed him to a nice contract with term for him to grow and develop over time. No one said our players will be lights out in their second year. Give it time. Stay patient instead of knee-jerk threads.

Go :leafs Go

Let's stay classy, like our organization!

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
This is dumb. Four game losing streak and half the fan base is on suicide watch while most of the rest are just waiting to get a good kick in while they're down.

To the OP, have you ever been to a Leafs GDT? I'd imagine most of your questions about why player "X" sucks will be answered in there 1000 times over.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
polak martin moore carrick komarov because they're all bad at what they do

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Very stupid thread. Why can't we just enjoy our 6th ranked team in the league without having to create threads on the daily over who are the worst players on this team or who is the new whipping boy? We are TOP4 in goals, 14th in GA, our home record is 22-8-2, and our road record was pretty decent too before this bad stretch of games without AM. We are a young team still learning what it takes to win every game, and we have consistently been in the upper echelon of the league this year. These are all positives for a young team on the rise.

It's quite sad the way we treat players, it's normal for them to go games without producing and what do we do? We start making trade proposals, or threads about who is our Top-5 worst players:facepalm:.

How do you think players survived on other teams when they had some bad games or even a bad season? How do you expect players to grow and evolve over their time here if after every bad game or stretch of play we start making up proposals for what they're worth.

Connor Brown was amazing last year, no doubt this year he has dropped a bit, but we have so many sophomores who have struggled with consistency, it's a part of the NHL. All teams go through it, what makes Toronto so special that if we get a 'bad' sophomore season we have to trade them for a bag of pucks or a draft pick? He's a 20-20 guy, which I am happy with. I hope he's a Leaf for life, but you never know. This year currently he's at 13-11. We signed him to a nice contract with term for him to grow and develop over time. No one said our players will be lights out in their second year. Give it time. Stay patient instead of knee-jerk threads.

Go :leafs Go

Let's stay classy, like our organization!

Because if you are not willing to address and expose the negative, you can never improve. Thread is fine and for serious Hockey minds wanting to share their opinion about our deficiencies. The circle jerk going on in the echo chamber feels good though.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Because if you are not willing to address and expose the negative, you can never improve. Thread is fine and for serious Hockey minds wanting to share their opinion about our deficiencies. The circle jerk going on in the echo chamber feels good though.
Nothing wrong with discussion about ways to improve or talking about negatives, but a Top 5 list of our worst players is NOT that. Have an issue with players? Speak about it in their respective player thread, no need to make a brand new thread about our current worst players.

How many threads do we have speaking about the positive on our team? Or players who have positively done well this year? Every other day seems like their is a new thread about fans who are not happy with someone or something negative to air. Heavily outweighs the positive of our team this year which greatly outweighs any negative.

Something to think about.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Nothing wrong with discussion about ways to improve or talking about negatives, but a Top 5 list of our worst players is NOT that. Have an issue with players? Speak about it in their respective player thread, no need to make a brand new thread about our current worst players.

How many threads do we have speaking about the positive on our team? Or players who have positively done well this year? Every other day seems like their is a new thread about fans who are not happy with someone or something negative to air. Heavily outweighs the positive of our team this year which greatly outweighs any negative.

He did ask for people to explain why. It was nice to see people that actually put a little effort into that. The question is fine, I mean you could now get into debates and share game footage or examples of why such a player is not a great fit for us etc. I don't mind talking about the negatives but if it gets into like the time where I would say Marner is not executing basic plays (at the start of the season) then 20 super fans start calling me a hater and threatening to throw eggs at my home and stuff, well.

The positives are easy to talk about and we talk about them all the time during games and in player threads...

Jake is a Beast
Kadri is awesome and one of the best contracts going
Matthews is all situations amazing
Nylander is such a slick skater and posession monster, so good at C with Marner as wing.
Marner is magic
Rielly is damn good when he opens it up and skates, gets aggressive
Hainsey is super stable (save for maybe lately)
Kapanen is wicked super quick

We talk about a lot of positives man.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Don't get this obsession with dwelling on the negative. This is even worse than Playoff Tank Nation. We have the strangest fan base, I wonder if it is a PTSD thing?

Reactions: White Shadow

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell

As long as you stay positive on the guys the majority like and negative on the whipping boys all is good. Deviate at your own risk.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Don't get this obsession with dwelling on the negative. This is even worse than Playoff Tank Nation. We have the strangest fan base, I wonder if it is a PTSD thing?

Nope. A lot of people know hockey in the area and have different opinions, many of them are valid and so we fight a lot. Ever been in a room full of Lawyers?

Q: What would happen if you lock a zombie in a room full of lawyers?
A: He would starve to death.

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
1. Roman Polak
2. Roman Polak
3. Roman Polak
4. Roman Polak
5. Roman Polak

HM - Ro-Man Polak, RoMan PoLak

But seriously, I hate Polak so much and I love every opportunity I can to shit on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad