Top 3 Dmen of 2018 Draft?

Who are the top 3 dmen of the 2018 draft?

• Rasmus Dahlin

• Quinn Hughes

• Adam Boqvist

• Evan Bouchard

• Noah Dobson

• Ty Smith

• Ryan Merkley

• K’Andre Miller

• Filip Johansson

• Jacob Bernard-Docker

• Nicolas Beaudin

• Nils Lundkvist

• Rasmus Sandin

• Alexander Romanov

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Cale Makar was the only defenseman in the league to take 100+ shots and shoot over 10% last year, and he was only at 11.5. 17% is completely unsustainable for any defenseman and 10 is even unsustainable despite Boqvist being a good shooter. There’s a better chance he has fewer than 10 goals than close to 20 this year.
Wow very bold prediction... How many Ds scored 10 goals last year?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Wow very bold prediction... How many Ds scored 10 goals last year?

I’m not sure what your point is here. You’re the one who said “he almost paced for 20 this year”. If you don’t think he can sustain his goals, why would you bring it up as part of your reasoning for him not being a quality NHLer?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I’m not sure what your point is here. You’re the one who said “he almost paced for 20 this year”. If you don’t think he can sustain his goals, why would you bring it up as part of your reasoning for him not being a quality NHLer?
Because even half of what he produced still lands him a top 4 job on most teams?

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Dahlin
Hughes
Dobson
Bouchard

Are the only possible answers.

Right now Dahlin, Hughes and Dobson

Id expect Boqvist to kick one of the latter two out of the top 3 next year.
Really? Why is that? The guy is absolutely a train wreck defensively

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevin27NYI

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Dahlin, Hughes then one of Dobson or Bouchard is the only correct answers.
This. I think Dobson and Bouchard really started to thrive in the NHL this season, and both Dahlin and Hughes both improved their all-around games. I would say they're the only four with top pair potential with some of them already being top pairing defencemen.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Over the last 25 years how many defenceman do you think have had full seasons where they shot at least 17%?
Over the last 25 years, how many defenceman do you think could should the puck like this ?

Does that look like luck or did he just not shoot a lot and he has an elite shot ?

His shooting percentage is bound to go down, for sure. But his shooting will go up considerably with a) more playing time and b) getting better. His shooting percentage will always remain high, probably around 10-12%. Even going down to half he still would've been on pace for 10 goals which is still a very good season for a 21 YO defender with less than 100 games in the NHL.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
My rank at the 2018 draft:

1. Dahlin
2. Hughes
3. Dobson
4. Bouchard
5. Boqvist
6. Wilde
7. Smith
8. Sandin
9. Addison
10. Miller

My rank now:

1. Dahlin
2. Hughes
3. Dobson
4. Miller
5. Boqvist
6. Bouchard
7. Sandin
8. Smith
9. Romanov
10. Lundkvist

Reactions: Guy Tetreault

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Cale Makar was the only defenseman in the league to take 100+ shots and shoot over 10% last year, and he was only at 11.5. 17% is completely unsustainable for any defenseman and 10 is even unsustainable despite Boqvist being a good shooter. There’s a better chance he has fewer than 10 goals than close to 20 this year.
17% is unsustainably high for all but like 5 forwards (I think Stamkos may be the only active high end player with a career shooting percentage that high).

It's a pipe dream to expect that to repeat from a defenseman.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Over the last 25 years, how many defenceman do you think could should the puck like this ?

Does that look like luck or did he just not shoot a lot and he has an elite shot ?

His shooting percentage is bound to go down, for sure. But his shooting will go up considerably with a) more playing time and b) getting better. His shooting percentage will always remain high, probably around 10-12%. Even going down to half he still would've been on pace for 10 goals which is still a very good season for a 21 YO defender with less than 100 games in the NHL.

No defenceman in NHL history that I can find has ever had a shooting percentage of at least 17% while having at least 100 SOG. A defenceman even having a shooting percentage anywhere above 10%-12% is extremely rare.

Yes he can shoot the puck very well. But to answer your question about how many can shoot like that over the last 25 years, the answers is dozens.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
My rank at the 2018 draft:

1. Dahlin
2. Hughes
3. Dobson
4. Bouchard
5. Boqvist
6. Wilde
7. Smith
8. Sandin
9. Addison
10. Miller

My rank now:

1. Dahlin
2. Hughes
3. Dobson
4. Miller
5. Boqvist
6. Bouchard
7. Sandin
8. Smith
9. Romanov
10. Lundkvist
Bouchard getting heavily under rated... He will get 60+ points next year if he gets some real PP time. He was great all year in a true rookie season.

Hes better than Miller and Boqvist easily.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
Only reason you guys are saying Dahlin is better than Hughes is that he was picked at #1 5 years ago. Both are offensive dmen, Hughes with 0.8 ppg compared to Dahlin's 0.58 and Hughes was way better last year as well. I think Hughes is better defensively too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad