Top 3 Dmen of 2018 Draft?

Who are the top 3 dmen of the 2018 draft?

• Rasmus Dahlin

• Quinn Hughes

• Adam Boqvist

• Evan Bouchard

• Noah Dobson

• Ty Smith

• Ryan Merkley

• K’Andre Miller

• Filip Johansson

• Jacob Bernard-Docker

• Nicolas Beaudin

• Nils Lundkvist

• Rasmus Sandin

• Alexander Romanov

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
No defenceman in NHL history that I can find has ever had a shooting percentage of at least 17% while having at least 100 SOG. A defenceman even having a shooting percentage anywhere above 10%-12% is extremely rare.

Yes he can shoot the puck very well. But to answer your question about how many can shoot like that over the last 25 years, the answers is dozens.
Yeah, thats it. Boqvist merely shot 64 times, these things will fix themselves smoothly. More ice time and better play will lead to more shots and more looks which will be great compensation for the high shooting percentage.

Only reason you guys are saying Dahlin is better than Hughes is that he was picked at #1 5 years ago. Both are offensive dmen, Hughes with 0.8 ppg compared to Dahlin's 0.58 and Hughes was way better last year as well. I think Hughes is better defensively too.
Dahlin isnt just an offensive Dman lol, hes physical and good defensively.

• Love
Reactions: Guy Tetreault

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Only reason you guys are saying Dahlin is better than Hughes is that he was picked at #1 5 years ago. Both are offensive dmen, Hughes with 0.8 ppg compared to Dahlin's 0.58 and Hughes was way better last year as well. I think Hughes is better defensively too.
Dahlin also has just shy of double the amount of goals Hughes does. I think both are better than Heiskanen though.

Reactions: deVolt

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Yeah, thats it. Boqvist merely shot 64 times, these things will fix themselves smoothly. More ice time and better play will lead to more shots and more looks which will be great compensation for the high shooting percentage.

Dahlin isnt just an offensive Dman lol, hes physical and good defensively.
1658283172204.png

Even if Boqvist scores 20 goals, I feel he's going to be a very risky player and not necessarily a net positive if his defense and passing doesn't improve.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
I don’t know what a generated stats card of a 2017 defenseman that doesn’t take in any context has to do with who the best defenseman of the 2018 draft are
I was simply correcting you when you said that Hughes and Dahlin are better than Heiskanen, since Heiskanen is clearly better than both of them.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Martin Fehervary (2018, 46th) played top pairing minutes for a 100-point team last year in Washington, received Calder votes, and is better than at least half if not more of the guys on this list. He may not going to be top three but he deserves to be in this discussion.

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
Dahlin also has just shy of double the amount of goals Hughes does. I think both are better than Heiskanen though.
Huge difference between goals per game average, 0.11 to 0.092 that's significant definitely good argument against 0.58 to 0.8 PGP difference!

About Miro, advanced stats(see Jukurit's post), contract negotiations and team success disagree. Difference between elite 2-way dman and offensive dmen who suck defensively. I also missed that year when those guys carried their team to the finals

Last edited:

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
Both are indeed better than Heiskanen, which was the real reason Miro4Norris and his insecurity even went there.

If there’s a thread that involves the Swede, you can without fail every time find him in it doing his same shtick :laugh:
Uh, I never mentioned Heiskanen before Asymmetric solution posted about it but definitely my fault that he is brought to this discussion.. lmao. I don't remember hating other Swedes than overrated lazy Dahlin and overpaid plug M. Pettersson who has the worst contract on my favourite team.

And as you can see from Jukurit's post, Heiskanen is far superior to them. Compare him to Hedman, Fox and McAvoy that makes more sense. But you're probably one of the guys who think Scheifele was better than Bergeron last year because he had more points.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Bouchard getting heavily under rated... He will get 60+ points next year if he gets some real PP time. He was great all year in a true rookie season.

Hes better than Miller and Boqvist easily.
What is a “true rookie season”?

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
I was simply correcting you when you said that Hughes and Dahlin are better than Heiskanen, since Heiskanen is clearly better than both of them.
If real life were a video game you'd be correct. Unfortunately, we have a name for people like you who look at advanced stats to come to conclusions devoid of any nuance.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I wonder what KAndre Millers looks like
In a small sample size it wouldn't surprise me if he was closer to Bouchard than the other 3 main Dmans in 2018. Ultimately we need to see a larger sample size, as Hughes playing a sheltered role as a rookie had beyond elite WAR impact, but ever since he was tasked with much more harder competition he hasn't been able to replicate his elite rookie year.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
As a Rangers fan who loves Miller, I couldn't in good conscience put him in the top 3. He hasn't scored enough and, while I think he's as good or better defensively as anyone on the list, he still has some growing to do in that area. He isn't likely to get a lot of PP time as long as Fox is healthy, so he'll probably end up producing 30-40 points at his peak.

That said, considering all factors, there isn't a dman on that list that I would trade Miller for.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
In a small sample size it wouldn't surprise me if he was closer to Bouchard than the other 3 main Dmans in 2018. Ultimately we need to see a larger sample size, as Hughes playing a sheltered role as a rookie had beyond elite WAR impact, but ever since he was tasked with much more harder competition he hasn't been able to replicate his elite rookie year.
He played all 82 games this season & 53/56 last season, not that small of a sample size

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
To me it's pretty easily:

Hughes
Dahlin (1 and 2 could switch, but it won't be because Hughes regresses, it will be if Dahlin goes supernova and he showed some signs last year)
Dobson
Miller.

To me, Miller is clearly number 4 which is good, but some Rangers fans get overzealous and place him above guys who are clearly out of his league currently.

I'm not a Bouchard believer, didn't want us drafting him (wanted Hughes and was pleasantly surprised when he fell to us), think he's not competitive enough with the puck and too slow.

I see him as a bit of a poor man's John Carlson (and I like Carlson, but he's not so good that a poor version of him is elite).

Bouchard's puck movement and shot will keep him in the league for a long time, as it should. But he's the kind of player who will need very particular deployment whereas I see Hughes, and Dahlin as top pair D who can play with almost anyone (some of this is projection, but they're not far from this), Dobson as a very legit top pair D, and Miller as a fantastic number 2 when all is said and done.

Reactions: Guy Tetreault

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3