Seravalli: Top 20 Trade Bait for Daily Faceoff- Seravalli- " 90% chance that player/assets in the top 5 of the list will get traded"

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
AS much as 2nd overall is a nice piece I'm not at all itching to put Miller in a trade for it.

I'd much rather pry a solid D prospect a roster player and a draft pick than do that. I'm hoping the Rangers lose 4 straight and decide with Miller this wouldn't have happened and finally give up Schneider...........

I was optimistic Boston might want him for a package involving Carlo and parts but I'm starting to think they might quickly retool (which would be the smarter move).

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
AS much as 2nd overall is a nice piece I'm not at all itching to put Miller in a trade for it.

I'd much rather pry a solid D prospect a roster player and a draft pick than do that. I'm hoping the Rangers lose 4 straight and decide with Miller this wouldn't have happened and finally give up Schneider...........

I was optimistic Boston might want him for a package involving Carlo and parts but I'm starting to think they might quickly retool (which would be the smarter move).
So … you wouldn’t trade one year of Miller for pick #2 but you would for Schneider ? Interesting take

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
This is a pretty low IQ response. It still took the Rangers 3-4 years and only 2 of those things you mentioned above had drastic differences on their rebuild. They also already got a top end defender who signed long term in Chicago, and moved up 9 spots in the draft not that long ago. It's not like Chicago's an unattractive place to sign as a free agent either. There are multiple paths to rebuilding effectively and you are choosing to look at only 1.

Regardless it's about foundation. Chicago already has a pretty decent d-core to work with and a lot of young defense prospects in the system. spend the next couple years drafting almost exclusively forwards and they can get the ball rolling pretty fast. Goaltending could certainly be a difference maker but they do have Commesso in the pipeline already.
Oh yes. Seth Jones is definitely an Adam Fox comparable. :laugh:

To say that only two of the things mentioned have had a drastic difference on New York's rebuild is ridiculous. Panarin/Fox/Shesterkin/Trouba have all been a major part of their run this year. Even Lafreniere paced 20 in the regular season and half PPG on the playoffs getting bottom 6 minutes and minimal PP time.

I don't even know where to start with the rest. Chicago's future is made up of a badly overpaid Seth Jones, (28) Debrincat, (24) and Dach, (21) who has been a disappointment so far, to put it nicely. Their prospect pool is headlined by Reichel (Who I like) and is in the bottom third of the league, and they have no 1st round pick this year.

Let's be very clear here, Stan Bowman was given a long leash for winning Cups with a team largely built by Dale Tallon. He overstayed his welcome and, in the process of trying to take attention off the Beach story and save his job, f***ed the franchise for the foreseeable future by overpaying for Jones both on the trade market and his extension.

Chicago could've had Debrincat/Dach/Boqvist/11th OA/6th OA to build around in this decade. Instead they have Debrincat/Dach/Jones. Jones, who will nearing his mid-30s by the time the team is ready to compete again. Bowman screwed them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Seventy7

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
That’s exactly what I thought when they made the deal. Bafoonary. Last ditch attempt for Kane n Toews

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
He's been lackluster, but I doubt Detroit trades him without giving him year under a new coach to see if it was a Blashill issue.

But realistically, Detroit's depth chart on the wing goes Bertuzzi/Raymond/Vrana/Fabbri with Berggren likely coming next season, as well as possibly Soderblom, and Veleno and Rasmussen being options at wing or center. Lineup is getting clogged on the outside.
Impressive

Last edited:

Ledge And Dairy

Oh yes. Seth Jones is definitely an Adam Fox comparable. :laugh:

To say that only two of the things mentioned have had a drastic difference on New York's rebuild is ridiculous. Panarin/Fox/Shesterkin/Trouba have all been a major part of their run this year. Even Lafreniere paced 20 in the regular season and half PPG on the playoffs getting bottom 6 minutes and minimal PP time.

I don't even know where to start with the rest. Chicago's future is made up of a badly overpaid Seth Jones, (28) Debrincat, (24) and Dach, (21) who has been a disappointment so far, to put it nicely. Their prospect pool is headlined by Reichel (Who I like) and is in the bottom third of the league, and they have no 1st round pick this year.

Let's be very clear here, Stan Bowman was given a long leash for winning Cups with a team largely built by Dale Tallon. He overstayed his welcome and, in the process of trying to take attention off the Beach story and save his job, f***ed the franchise for the foreseeable future by overpaying for Jones both on the trade market and his extension.

Chicago could've had Debrincat/Dach/Boqvist/11th OA/6th OA to build around in this decade. Instead they have Debrincat/Dach/Jones. Jones, who will nearing his mid-30s by the time the team is ready to compete again. Bowman screwed them.
Who the hell compared Jones to Fox? You said a #2-3 defenseman. Jones is Trouba but much better in your breakdown.

Fox and Panarin were the main factors, elite goaltending can be compensated by an elite d-core with a good goalie (like Colorado or Carolina). Trouba was only a slight upgrade because they lost a solid defenseman in Pionk in that trade. Lafreniere and Kakko have also both been "disappointments so far, to put it nicely."

Jones is barely overpaid, he is an 8.5-9M defenseman making 9.5M starting next year. If you can really justify Trouba as a positive add at 8M then Jones' deal is perfectly fine. Also your argument about him being mid 30's is only relevant in your view of them not being done rebuilding for at least 6-7 years. There is also a good chance they will have Arizona level of picks for the 23 and 24 drafts

No argument against Bowman, he made a lot of really stupid trades

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Who the hell compared Jones to Fox? You said a #2-3 defenseman. Jones is Trouba but much better in your breakdown.

Fox and Panarin were the main factors, elite goaltending can be compensated by an elite d-core with a good goalie (like Colorado or Carolina). Trouba was only a slight upgrade because they lost a solid defenseman in Pionk in that trade. Lafreniere and Kakko have also both been "disappointments so far, to put it nicely."

Jones is barely overpaid, he is an 8.5-9M defenseman making 9.5M starting next year. If you can really justify Trouba as a positive add at 8M then Jones' deal is perfectly fine. Also your argument about him being mid 30's is only relevant in your view of them not being done rebuilding for at least 6-7 years. There is also a good chance they will have Arizona level of picks for the 23 and 24 drafts

No argument against Bowman, he made a lot of really stupid trades

Your words when referring to Jones were, "Top end defender", which sounds a lot more like a Fox comparison than a Trouba comparison. But since you're clarifying that you're comparing him to Trouba, now, we can hopefully agree that Jones is massively overpaid, considering Trouba is also overpaid.

... The Trouba comparison is getting even worse for Jones considering you're calling him a, "Slight upgrade", over Pionk.

Kakko has definitely been a disappointment. Would disagree with with Lafreniere. He's a winger on a team loaded with wingers and he's getting less ice time. He paced 20 goals with third line minutes and minimal power play time.

Jones is more like an $8M defensemen lol. Both he and Trouba are overpaid. And New York is likely going to be feeling the effects of Trouba's contract in the next two years as Lafreniere/Kakko/Chytil/Miller need new contracts.

Jones entering his mid 30s would put their rebuild at 4-5 years considering he'll be 28 going into this season. Again, I said entering his mid-30s, which you can argue starts around 32-33.

But to be fair and to your point, I was being generous. Chicago doesn't seem interested in trading Kane, and Toews has absolutely no value at this point. Dach hasn't been all that impressive at all. They traded their 2018, 2021, and 2022 firsts. Tampa is showing no indications of slowing down, so while Chicago did great on that Hagel trade, those 2023 and 2024 1sts are likely in 25+ territory. Their best prospect is Reichel and again, while I like him, he's nothing special and their pool is in the bottom third of the league.

Where they pick in '23 and '24 is a complete crapshoot. They finished 6th worst this year but improved after canning Colliton, which would indicate they'll probably be slightly better next season. They're probably between 5-10, and injuries could drop them to a bottom 5 team, but they're certainly not Arizona or Seattle levels of bad.

Ledge And Dairy

Your words when referring to Jones were, "Top end defender", which sounds a lot more like a Fox comparison than a Trouba comparison. But since you're clarifying that you're comparing him to Trouba, now, we can hopefully agree that Jones is massively overpaid, considering Trouba is also overpaid.

... The Trouba comparison is getting even worse for Jones considering you're calling him a, "Slight upgrade", over Pionk.

Kakko has definitely been a disappointment. Would disagree with with Lafreniere. He's a winger on a team loaded with wingers and he's getting less ice time. He paced 20 goals with third line minutes and minimal power play time.

Jones is more like an $8M defensemen lol. Both he and Trouba are overpaid. And New York is likely going to be feeling the effects of Trouba's contract in the next two years as Lafreniere/Kakko/Chytil/Miller need new contracts.

Jones entering his mid 30s would put their rebuild at 4-5 years considering he'll be 28 going into this season. Again, I said entering his mid-30s, which you can argue starts around 32-33.

But to be fair and to your point, I was being generous. Chicago doesn't seem interested in trading Kane, and Toews has absolutely no value at this point. Dach hasn't been all that impressive at all. They traded their 2018, 2021, and 2022 firsts. Tampa is showing no indications of slowing down, so while Chicago did great on that Hagel trade, those 2023 and 2024 1sts are likely in 25+ territory. Their best prospect is Reichel and again, while I like him, he's nothing special and their pool is in the bottom third of the league.

Where they pick in '23 and '24 is a complete crapshoot. They finished 6th worst this year but improved after canning Colliton, which would indicate they'll probably be slightly better next season. They're probably between 5-10, and injuries could drop them to a bottom 5 team, but they're certainly not Arizona or Seattle levels of bad.
I said Jones is much better than Trouba, thats really not up for debate. Jones is also the same age as Panarin when he joined in year 2 of the Rangers rebuild. So being 1 year older for Chicago's year 2 really shouldn't make that big of a difference. He will be in his early 30's in a short rebuild.

Toews at 50% likely does have some decent deadline value and Kane will for sure. The only reason they aren't listed as available is because of their clauses. The GM has to approach them first to make anything work at all.

Arizona is likely bottom of the league this year but Seattle will probably improve. It's also a pretty safe bet that Montreal, Jersey, and Philly all have better seasons next year due to either their coaching changes, being healthier, or the kids growing. Seattle, Arizona, and maybe Boston (due to injuries) are the teams I could see finishing below Chicago.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I don't get the whole Debrincat situation.
If a team wants a high end point producer, just try to sign Johnny Gaudreau.
He will make 3mil more a year, But will produce much more, and Debrincat is a UFA in a year, will probably make 8.5mil after next year.

Giving up massive assets for a few more Million and a "worse" Player?
Makes little sense to me, Even if you prefer goals over playmaking ability.

Reactions: Fatass

Ledge And Dairy

He will make 3mil more a year, But will produce much more, and Debrincat is a UFA in a year, will probably make 8.5mil after next year.

Makes complete sense why you don't get the whole DeBrincat situation, none of what you said here makes much sense at all.

Gaudreau is a free agent now and 90% of the league is ina. Cap crunch. Plus you have to convince him to sign with you.

DeBrincat wont be a UFA next year unless he just isn't qualified, he will be a restricted free agent. Also Cats QP is 9M so it's pretty unlikely he gets less than that.

You also arent accounting for at all that Cat is 5 years younger than Gaudreau

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Makes complete sense why you don't get the whole DeBrincat situation, none of what you said here makes much sense at all.

Gaudreau is a free agent now and 90% of the league is ina. Cap crunch. Plus you have to convince him to sign with you.

DeBrincat wont be a UFA next year unless he just isn't qualified, he will be a restricted free agent. Also Cats QP is 9M so it's pretty unlikely he gets less than that.

You also arent accounting for at all that Cat is 5 years younger than Gaudreau
Fair enough, but even as a rfa, you gonna have to pay him inflated numbers if he produces the same next year.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I'm hoping the Rangers lose 4 straight and decide with Miller this wouldn't have happened and finally give up Schneider...........
Keep dreaming pal

If Drury wasn’t giving up Schneider for 18 months of JT, he certainly ain’t doing it for 12 lol

Especially after this playoff run where Schneider has shown he can hang. He’s here for the future, Canucks fans might want to move on

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Seems pretty confident about the 2nd OA getting traded. When was the last time a top 2 pick was traded (excluding something like the Seguin traded where the Leafs gave up an unprotected 1st that later became the 2nd OA)? I honestly think it's been like 20 years, since the 2003 draft.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I've actually found Seravalli to be one of the better if not best insiders the last few seasons. He has really turned up his connections, he is more reliable than Dreger and at times Friedman imo especially over the last few trade deadlines and drafts.
Talk about a low bar.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022

only one team can sign Gaudreau if hes even available. Debrincat is 24 Gaudreau is 28. Debrincat will make 3 million less so can fit into more established lineups. Debrincat is and RFA not a UFA next year.

If your a team on the come up having 7 years of prime 35-45 goal scoring 1st line left wing seems useful for futures.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
His justification was dumb. "It doesn't seem like they'll be able to trade Pettersson, so they could trade Marino instead" is a dumb argument when you have like 3 or 4 other guys to look at moving before Marino if Pettersson wouldn't work.

Dumoulin, Zucker and Blueger are UFAs after this year, they'd be incredibly easy to move. Zucker and Blueger are definitely less important to the team than Marino is. Moving Marino for cap reasons is a downright baffling suggestion when the Penguins have numerous other options to clear money.
Didn't Zucker sign an extention of 5 something over 7 or 8 years?

Not a glamorous list so I guess it isn't clickbait.

Surprised NJs pick and Gibson are so high.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
So … you wouldn’t trade one year of Miller for pick #2 but you would for Schneider ? Interesting take

Schneider and 2 other pieces yes - the sum of which will be better than the 2nd overall pick. Don't try to spin it like it's a 1-1 for Schneider.......nice try troll.

If you knew anything about Vancouvers prospect pool (which i assume you don't) you would know that it's bereft of prospects...........in this case I am taking a dip in quality to get quantity

Keep dreaming pal

If Drury wasn’t giving up Schneider for 18 months of JT, he certainly ain’t doing it for 12 lol

Especially after this playoff run where Schneider has shown he can hang. He’s here for the future, Canucks fans might want to move on

I dunno bud........a stunning collapse like the one that you are about to have.......Strome whiffing badly on what could have been a series tying goal..............Schneider playing 8 minutes a night.

I wouldn't be soo sure on your thought process.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
No? DeBrincat is 24, Chicago already has a lot of good pieces to do a pretty short term rebuild. They really aren't that far off of where NYR was when they decided to rebuild in 17/18. Last I checked Zibaneijad was also 24 then and they didn't trade him off

Not really

Dont have much in the cupboards up front and on D we have lots of ? talent or kids who are boom or bust potential

And no quality goalie worth a damn anywhere in sight

Hawks are facing a daunting rebuild not a short term. Outside of Debrincat the young NHL talent is pretty questionable in Strome (May not be qualified) , Dach (Struggling with injurys/poor play) and then other kids like Raddysh/Kurashev and others who we hope are good but still only limited sample size

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Seravelli on the radio this morning said its a matter of when, not if, Debrincat gets traded. He's really confident he's getting traded.

Golden Gophers 4649

Minnesota Hockey Fan
Jun 15, 2015
Minneapolis
After watching Fiala's disappearing act in the playoffs I'm not sure why Devils would give a 2nd for him.

After watching Fiala's disappearing act in the playoffs I'm not sure why Devils would give a 2nd for him.

He literally addresses that in the article lol.
I'm not sure the 2nd OA in this draft is worth much.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015

Now your being generous.

Unless everything falls into place the Hawks rebuild is looking like seven years minimum.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad