Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I have him ahead of Frank Mahovlich in mine.

I'd be surprised if we didn't see Thornton and has 12 times top 10 in assists resume up for voting

But we only have 30 spots left, 25 after the current group elects 5 more this round.

I think a ton of great centers are going to be left off the top 100, many which will have better resumes than some players already voted in.

Reactions: VanIslander

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I'd be surprised if we didn't see Thornton and has 12 times top 10 in assists resume up for voting

But we only have 30 spots left, 25 after the current group elects 5 more this round.

I think a ton of great centers are going to be left off the top 100, many which will have better resumes than some players already voted in.

I don't agree with you about much, but I do think that we have been shortchanging centers as a whole.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The problem with having a Russian player in the Top-10 is that it cannot be accomplished by any other way than downgrading a superior player (and, it my case, it would be a Czech player).

Last edited:
Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
This process is very NHL biased.

I had Cyclone Taylor in the top 10 of my original list, but apparently we were to consider nine Habs before him.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

I had Cyclone Taylor in the top 10 of my original list, but apparently we were to consider nine Habs before him.

Well it has been the best league in the world for at least 90ish years but your observation is on point.

Being a star on a dynasty gets a player to the front of the line when many players with similar resumes drop like rocks.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

You should've abstained from participating if you had an issue with this, because that very obvious it would've turned out that way.

Not to mention, the amount of hostile PM's received by the particpants would've sharply declined.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Dynasties are dynasties because they have so many of the best players.

Yes this is true but it's also a lot easier to be a dynasty in a 6 team league with basically no player movement rights for the players.

I'm not sure how much of this reality was taken into account.

Although some players like Boom Boom it didn't seem to help his case.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Love the misrepresentation of facts. No movement. You expect to be taken seriously?

Consider. Jacques Plante, Doug Harvey, Bernie Geoffrion,Ralph Backstrom,Tom Johnson, Bob Turner, Dickie Moore, Claude Provost, Bert Olmstead, Jean-Guy Talbot, Al Langlois, Phil Goyette,Don Marshall,André Pronovost, all traded or moved to finish careers with other teams.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Love the misrepresentation of facts. No movement. You expect to be taken seriously?

Consider. Jacques Plante, Doug Harvey, Bernie Geoffrion,Ralph Backstrom,Tom Johnson, Bob Turner, Dickie Moore, Claude Provost, Bert Olmstead, Jean-Guy Talbot, Al Langlois, Phil Goyette,Don Marshall,André Pronovost, all traded or moved to finish careers with other teams.

Perhaps you didn't read closely enough here so I put it in bold to make it easier for you.

BTW, Harvey was moved at age 36
Boom Boom switched teams at age 35
Plante at age 35 as well.
Moore at age 34.

Note none of them were free agents.

Zero misrepresentation of the facts involved here on my part.

Yes this is true but it's also a lot easier to be a dynasty in a 6 team league with basically no player movement rights for the players.

I'm not sure how much of this reality was taken into account.

Although some players like Boom Boom it didn't seem to help his case.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Not really. Bourque and Richard do not belong there.

I can see a stronger case for leaving richard out of the top 10 than Bourque.

Maybe one day Ovechkin might be viewed higher than Bourgue but even Makarov, who I love can't reach the heights Bourque did in terms of elite and excellent longevity.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Not really. Bourque and Richard do not belong there.

If neither of these belong, then obviously no Russian player belong. And that's coming from someone who recently "promoted" Hasek to Top-10 status.

Unless being Russian, in and of itself, it worth something.

Last edited:

solidmotion

Jun 5, 2012
You're right. We should have legislated a version of employment equity and had a couple of token Russians. But then, we'd need even more Americans to reflect the current NHL.
hot take - ovechkin will be a consensus top 10 player all time by the time his career is done and this conversation will never need to happen again.

(crosby will be battling for #5 with beliveau and hull.)

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
hot take - ovechkin will be a consensus top 10 player all time by the time his career is done and this conversation will never need to happen again.

I'm not sure about consensus even if he breaks the all time goals record but time will tell.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

He's having arguably one of his best seasons ever, pacing for his 2nd highest goal total - on the heels of a strong smythe - on a team arguably still favorite to win the cup this year (they are defending champs after all) where he'd once again be the favorite for the smythe if so - who knows? He can still add a lot to his resume to make his case stronger and get there.

Or - he's 33, odds are this is his last decent season and we should expect a big regression starting next year with age, with very little further movement in career placement.

Both him and Crosby can still rise a lot or very little depending on how things play out.

Reactions: Sentinel

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Roy, Hasek, Beliveau, Harvey and Hull all have a case for #5.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Getting outplayed and outscored by your center linemate is now a "strong Smythe", okay. I got the memo and will get in line.

15 goals - many clutch goals/plays. 15 goals is the highest playoff goal total since 1996 (tied with Crosby in 2009, also with 15).

I think his smythe was strong, yes. Doesn't mean it's one of the best ones ever - but good strong performance.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
15 goals - many clutch goals/plays. 15 goals is the highest playoff goal total since 1996 (tied with Crosby in 2009, also with 15).

I think his smythe was strong, yes. Doesn't mean it's one of the best ones ever - but good strong performance.

It is also worth noting is that Ovechkin didn't "waste" many goals or points in blowouts. Practically every goal or assist he recorded came in medium or high-leverage situations. He didn't have a single three-point game, and scored a goal in 13 games overall, which I suspect is pretty close to the record (a quick check reveals Sakic scored in 14 different games in 1996, Kurri only 9 in 1985, Malkin in 10 in 2009, Crosby 11 in 2009). Maybe some others, but these seemed like the obvious ones to check.

Reactions: Sentinel

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Roy, Hasek, Beliveau, Harvey and Hull all have a case for #5.
I know we are evaluating players from before the start of the 18-19 season but Crosby is working his way into this group.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I know we are evaluating players from before the start of the 18-19 season but Crosby is working his way into this group.

That was mostly a reply to "He's fighting Beliveau and Hull". I think he is indeed.

Reactions: wetcoast
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad