Post-Game Talk: Too Much Poutine: Jets look flat in 4-3 loss to Habs

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Good news is that the Jets coaches seem to have realized this; he got just 12 shifts and 8:46 worth of icetime tonight. I've got a good feeling that Redmond will draw in vs. Florida or Tampa Bay, and we can (hopefully) end this silly Clitsome experiment once and for all.

Think Garret made this point: who would've guessed that we'd be longing for Johnny Oduya?

I think the broader point is: despite his horrendous play (literally every shift this year has been a nail biting "UH OH" which rapidly transforms into a "GET HIM THE **** OFF THE ICE NOEL!" ), the coaching staff STILL has him ahead of Redmond in the depth chart. So if Redmond at LD isn't an improvement (or only a marginal one) - we have huge problems. I realize that Bogo will be back in a couple weeks....but had the season started on time, we'd have been dealing with this disaster for half the season. And thats on Chevy.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Good news is that the Jets coaches seem to have realized this; he got just 12 shifts and 8:46 worth of icetime tonight. I've got a good feeling that Redmond will draw in vs. Florida or Tampa Bay, and we can (hopefully) end this silly Clitsome experiment once and for all.

Think Garret made this point: who would've guessed that we'd be longing for Johnny Oduya?

Put me in the "hope like hell Redmond starts and impresses" camp. He's grinded it out and deserves a shot in the NHL. Even more so over a guy like Clitsome. I kept my mind open to Clitsome but I just don't think he should be a regular d-man.

I miss Brogo. :(

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Really awful game.

The Jets were nowhere near physical enough and Enstrom got run all night with no retaliation.

Losing happens but even on nights where the offense isn't clicking they should still be able to make teams pay for their win.

Take it out on Flodida pls.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Do we play Montoya in Florida and then let Pavs get shelled the following night in Tampa? I don't think Pavs should play a back to back at this stage.

I'd stick with Pavs in Florida. Pavs looked a little off tonight, but he's still better than Montoya. Florida is the game we need to concentrate on winning.

I say go balls to the walls against Florida and then just see what happens/hope we get lucky against TB.

No reason to go half/half trying to win both and end up doing it half assed and losing both.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Switch Pavs for Price and it's a Jets win

Why is Wellwood in the lineup?

Hainsy playing good hockey aside from his goal

Buff and Enstrom look tired

fourth line now stands out as the fourth line

Montreal crowd really influences refs

Kane took a beating

Nice to see Antro and Joki score

Kane is a dynamic, dangerous forward, so Therrien put Emelin, his most physical Dman, up against him whenever he had a chance. (Emelin leads the NHL in hits.)

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
If anyone needs cheering up... Go take a gander at the Pens Post-Game Thread :sarcasm:

The Pens or any losing team's PGT. No team is going to have their "A" game every night and every team has weaknesses on their roster. Every team needs defensive help, second line scoring, goaltending, etc. I like our team way better than last season and I like our chances of making the playoffs. We just have to stay in the race. We badly need Bogosian back and if we stay in the race we have 7 of our last 9 games at home.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Its mind boggling that Grant Clitsome is getting a regular shift on this team (or the NHL for that matter). We simply won't be competitive as long as this is the case.

Its also a bit strange that we have such a huge hole on the 3rd pairing, considering that Chevy has known that we'd be without Bogo till February since the summer. On a team that was 26th in goals against last year, its a bit frustrating that we're addressing this through the waiver wire. Oh, you can't make 29 Wins Columbus as a 7th D? Well come on down to Winnipeg!

The thing is the Jets have several guys who we need to assess. This is the perfect time. My only issue is I think Clitsome should have been out after game 3. Problem with that is Postma and Redmond play the same side.

What I would do is see if Hainsey could play the left side, shift him over, move Postma up to play with him, scratch Clitsome and dress Redmond. More balance.

I know that I hate playing the other side though so you'd have to see if Hainsey is ok with it.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I've liked the development of Postma so far. He looks better and more confident with each passing game.

Tonight he beat some of Montreal's neutral zone trap by taking the puck and skating it through the zone. Those are the kinds of plays we need to see from him so that he can contribute to the team. He was also putting some good shots on net. As long as he picks his spots well he'll continue to improve.

Jokinen looked really good as well. Managed to get 2 points, which is nice to see, but I saw a lot of hustle out of him. Played the cliche "200 foot game" as he'd go in on the forecheck and skate back just as hard on the backcheck. Great free agent acquisition for us. I haven't seen a bad game from him yet, but it's also looking like him and Kane are playing off each other well and that bodes well for the future.

I've been wondering if we should swap Little and Wheeler for a game or a few shifts. Little has shown a lot more hustle the past few games and while Wheeler's had some points he hasn't looked entirely consistent from shift to shift. He's been fighting the puck at times and so has Ladd.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I've liked the development of Postma so far. He looks better and more confident with each passing game.

Tonight he beat some of Montreal's neutral zone trap by taking the puck and skating it through the zone. Those are the kinds of plays we need to see from him so that he can contribute to the team. He was also putting some good shots on net. As long as he picks his spots well he'll continue to improve.

I've liked him a lot after game one. Even in game one I thought he did ok considering it was his first NHL game and he played it in Winnipeg and the rest of the Jets were pretty awful.

I think he is a permanent NHL'er. That's why I suggested bringing him up into the top 4. I believe he can handle it with a good partner. Hainsey, though I feel he is a fringe top 4 guy has played very well lately.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Okay, I'm not as pissed off as I was tonight. Looking back at the game, our first line wasn't awful, Little was ok, Antro looked like he wanted to win, and Enström wasn't as bad as the game before. And that's as far as I'm willing to go with the compliments since I'm still tired.

Oh, and Postma actually looks like he will stick even when Bogosian returns.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Some things to take away here tonight...

Yea we lost. But...the team was fighting until the very end. Which is good. I think the biggest problem tonight was the ref's...but even at that the Jets should have been able to kill those penalties. Our PK has been good, but there has been numerous occasion where it seems like thy forget that the puck was in their zone after the PP ends and that's when they score. Happened with the Sens as well.

The team itself needed to generate more traffic on Carey Price tonight. Our offense and the forechecking did not seem to have the same energy that it usually does. Frankly we got lucky that Price was napping for the first two periods.

The Jets needed to be more physical tonight. It truly was one of our biggest assets going into this game against tiny Montreal.

The biggest issue was Pavs. Those first two goals were softies, that kind of **** cannot keep happening. It was two wrist shots...saves that you need to make. He also made a lot of poor choices tonight. This really comes down to if he's really the star tender we need him to be. I'm not convinced.

Soble

Jan 12, 2012
Toronto
The last 2 seasons we are 4-12-1 in 17 games vs Canadian teams. Pretty random; the main reason is the ***** Sens and Habs have our number (2-8 combined).

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Overall the Jets seem to be to be a more mature and competitive team, but they still have some holes. In general I'm a Pavs fan, and most goals this year can't be blamed on him, but at the same time he doesn't steal games for us. At best he is a middle of the pack starting goalie. As many have mentioned this team needs Bogo back in the line up. Buff, Toby, Hainsey and Stuart can't continue to log the amount of minutes they have had to, especially in a compressed schedule. IMO it is already starting to show. Postma looks to be a keeper, but Clitsome is a huge liability. You have to assume that Noel hasn't scene enough from the other d-man on the roster to trust them yet.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Our performance last night just pissed me off in so many ways, and still has me moody. :laugh:. As was mentioned earlier here, I hope this is the exception rather than the rule. But I was just left very unimpressed with a few guys last night, namely Byfuglien who made some absolutely mind boggling decisions with the puck and just looked like he didn't care. Ladd really bugged me because as Captain and someone who played 19 minutes, if he isn't going to be on the scoresheet, he best be leading out there in other ways. When the team is lagging, it becomes the Captain's job to wake them up, lead the way, set the example. He failed miserably in my opinion and he was just another passenger last night. Evidently it was just one game in this short and young season, so I caution myself in saying too much and overreacting when it is not necessary, but I really want to see more from our team Captain. His (lack of) performance last night really irritated me. Pavelec just seemed to be his off, inconsistent, self. I had no faith in him last night. But I wasn't surprised as that just seems to be the goaltender he is at this point.

Ah well, I could could go on, we all could. I just want to forget this one and move on. The Panthers are really struggling this season, so I'll feel a whole lot better if we rip them a new one tomorrow. I want to see this Jets team come out doing all the little things because when we do that and we move our legs, we're successful.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Yeah, I'd like (and hope) to see the Jets come out angry tomorrow and really wreck the Panthers.

I was really dissappointed in Pavs last night. He didn't seem like he was even interested in being there. A couple close-ups on hime I thought his eyes looked really sleepy for some reason...

Tdoe42

Jun 7, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Pav's has a weak glove hand Plain and simple

BUT That can be fixed It is the only real glaring mechanical flaw in his game. Im pretty confident that a 25 yo goalie can over come something like that with practice and coaching

He also has a issue with being consistent. But again for a young guy thats just part of the maturation process

He is one of the best young tenders in the league and has the ability to steal games like he did last season so we just gotta take the good with the bad for now.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
We do his name is Burmi but Noel refuses to give him a shot,all a team has to do is pressure us and we lose the puck burmi is able to get out of trouble with the puck when being pressured while opening up more space.

Totally agree. Burmi is a perfect solution to agressive PK'ers.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
@Jet left side is Hainsey's natural side, so that could work if Postma keeps on improving and creating confidence for Noel in him.
That's the problem though. I don't think Noel trusts Postma with 20 mins a game... At least not more than Stuart.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Totally agree. Burmi is a perfect solution to agressive PK'ers.

He's often out on the PK, 8th on the team for TOI when down a man. The problem last night, was that one of the PP goals they got, he was in the box for. He's used on the PK, there's really no other guy on the team that does what he does, and that's a problem. Our PK forwards appear to be Antropov and Burmi, and Slater and Thorburn. Burmi and Antropov have been on the ice together for 3 of the 5 PP goals against.

The PK is tied for 27th at 68.8%. That's not a playoff team number. We have been lucky enough to not be penalized that much, because if you look at the bottom of the PK % list, all of those teams have had poor starts, but two (Ducks and Jets). It needs to change.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Coach Noel from this AM

Coach-Noel-April-3-2012-300x166.jpg

Coach Noel spoke to the media as his team left for Florida this AM. Making changes to his lineup? Team taking penalties, reversion to last season’s tendencies or anomaly? Mark Scheifele watch continues. Thoughts on getting Zach Redmond into lineup? Does Jokinen need to be shooting more? Talking about the Florida Panthers. Jets poor start to games.

To listen click here.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Our performance last night just pissed me off in so many ways, and still has me moody. :laugh:. As was mentioned earlier here, I hope this is the exception rather than the rule. But I was just left very unimpressed with a few guys last night, namely Byfuglien who made some absolutely mind boggling decisions with the puck and just looked like he didn't care. Ladd really bugged me because as Captain and someone who played 19 minutes, if he isn't going to be on the scoresheet, he best be leading out there in other ways. When the team is lagging, it becomes the Captain's job to wake them up, lead the way, set the example. He failed miserably in my opinion and he was just another passenger last night. Evidently it was just one game in this short and young season, so I caution myself in saying too much and overreacting when it is not necessary, but I really want to see more from our team Captain. His (lack of) performance last night really irritated me. Pavelec just seemed to be his off, inconsistent, self. I had no faith in him last night. But I wasn't surprised as that just seems to be the goaltender he is at this point.

Ah well, I could could go on, we all could. I just want to forget this one and move on. The Panthers are really struggling this season, so I'll feel a whole lot better if we rip them a new one tomorrow. I want to see this Jets team come out doing all the little things because when we do that and we move our legs, we're successful.

I completely disagree about Ladd. I thought the guy was in the scrums and in the dirty areas getting the puck. So while he didn't get on the score board I thought he did alot of good things last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad