Proposal: Tony DeAngelo

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
No way TDA gets an arbitration deal. He has CLEARLY bought into Rod's culture and system. You don't carry him one year on some arbitration contract, sour the guy you literally salvaged and who might just feel like he belongs and might just give you a friendly deal.

You lock him up for 3 years if you can. This go to arbitration then let him Get away when he fits, and is reasonably priced is nonsense. He earned his spot. He held up his end of the deal.

Morrow Morrow Morrow.

Morrow could be Bowman or Boychuk for all we know.
He still carries too much risk for us to make a big investment at this point. On top of that, it would be very silly for TdA to accept a 3 year deal. It limits his next contract, if and when he toes the line for 3 years. A 2 year deal will make him 28.5 and set him up for prime 7 year contract. It will end when he is 35 and his wheels won’t have completely fallen off. Although a 1 year deal makes the most sense for him and I would advise him to take that as his agent. He would be 27.5 and prime to take advantage of the RHD market.

Tony would have to say he wants to stay in Carolina no matter what for me to pass him a more than 2 year deal

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
He still carries too much risk for us to make a big investment at this point. On top of that, it would be very silly for TdA to accept a 3 year deal. It limits his next contract, if and when he toes the line for 3 years. A 2 year deal will make him 28.5 and set him up for prime 7 year contract. It will end when he is 35 and his wheels won’t have completely fallen off. Although a 1 year deal makes the most sense for him and I would advise him to take that as his agent. He would be 27.5 and prime to take advantage of the RHD market.

Tony would have to say he wants to stay in Carolina no matter what for me to pass him a more than 2 year deal
I’d be willing to be that he does want to stay here no matter what. Like you mentioned though, he does carry some risk. Credit to him, he was great on ice and seemingly in the locker room as well. Still don’t know he’s the guy to be playing with Slavin though. Would love to see what he could do on the third pair with a competent partner. That’d be some serious depth

Reactions: AD Skinner

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
No way TDA gets an arbitration deal. He has CLEARLY bought into Rod's culture and system. You don't carry him one year on some arbitration contract, sour the guy you literally salvaged and who might just feel like he belongs and might just give you a friendly deal.

You lock him up for 3 years if you can. This go to arbitration then let him Get away when he fits, and is reasonably priced is nonsense. He earned his spot. He held up his end of the deal.

Morrow Morrow Morrow.

Morrow could be Bowman or Boychuk for all we know.
We have similar thinking on this...this is probably the best offseason in the next several for signing TDA to a deal where his AAV is less, possibly substantially less, than his value. He fits here, he seems happy, he clearly respects and has bought into what Rod is coaching. Why get cagey with success and outthink ourselves? If he has another season like this one...I think we'll be kicking ourselves for not signing him to a 5x5 now. Give him the "we want you here" deal this offseason...odds are that he outplays it.

This is essentially the same thinking I think this FO took on JK. 8 years is a long time on a contract for a guy I don't think has a defined role past year 2 of his contract. If he pans out though, the value is phenomenal. I didn't understand this contract initially...I think it's likely he gets surpassed for both mid-6 C spots relatively quickly.

As for Morrow or Honka panning out...we likewise benefit best by assuming today they won't. Then, if they do...we have the sort of problems every team wishes they had: "too many valuable assets and not enough roster." Having valuable spare parts you can move for futures is how you extend a competitive window and refresh a roster after the Cap bites you for your success.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Right now, TDA is a more valuable asset than KK. Will KK be worth 5 mil? We all hope.

Is TDA in his current form worth 5 mil? Hell yes. Get him now for 5, Or watch him get cast aside and and earn 7 or 8 in 3 years. I'll argue at this point he is more valuable than Hamilton. Disagree all you want, but I'd rather have a bought in TDA at 5 mil, than an OFD who's afraid of using his body and afraid to get hit, who makes 9 mil.
Post automatically merged:

No.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad