Proposal: Tony DeAngelo

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
51 points.
a +30 (So much for the defensive nightmare?)
4th (tied) in team points.

He just posted a better season than Hamilton ever has, in points, and tied Hamilton's best +/- performance. He doesn't have Dougie's shot? No. His PPQB is better. It allows our forwards tips, and opportunities that Dougie's 155mm howitzer doesn't. Our PP was better with Tony on the point. He might be the best passer of ant defenseman in the league.

Told you.

Pay the man.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
He can go to arbitration off this season and I could see a decent 1 year deal taking him to UFA.
that is probably what happens. With Morrow looking well on his way to becoming TDA's replacement, we should go 1 year with TDA and then let Morrow take over in 23-24. Just means we need to find a good 3RD this off-season or next.

Reactions: AD Skinner

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
51 points.

He just posted a better season than Hamilton ever has, in points, and tied Hamilton's best +/- performance. He doesn't have Dougie's shot? No. His PPQB is better. It allows our forwards tips, and opportunities that Dougie's 155mm howitzer doesn't. Our PP was better with Tony on the point. He might be the best passer of ant defenseman in the league.

Told you.

Pay the man.
So... Kill him.. it's the only way to be sure.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
that is probably what happens. With Morrow looking well on his way to becoming TDA's replacement, we should go 1 year with TDA and then let Morrow take over in 23-24. Just means we need to find a good 3RD this off-season or next.
Let's cross that bridge when we get there, right now Morrow is 19 playing in college...expecting him to come over and immediately replace TDA would be foolish. He wouldn't be the first kid to impress in college then fall flat in the NHL, development has a long way to go.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Let's cross that bridge when we get there, right now Morrow is 19 playing in college...expecting him to come over and immediately replace TDA would be foolish. He wouldn't be the first kid to impress in college then fall flat in the NHL, development has a long way to go.
nah, the bridge is already crossed. Im mean he has Makar level comps. Shoot we need to trade Freddie this off-season. Kochetkov already has Vas comps.

just reexamine next off-season if Morrow falls flat and isnt ready for 23-24.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
2 years $4m/year makes a lot of sense for both sides. More decent money for TDA and he stays in a GREAT situation for him to seriously cash in as a UFA in 2 years (I'm sure teams will see 3 years with no issues and be comfortable with him). By then Morrow should be ready. Not as much of a steal for us as this year obviously but he's still definitely worth more than 4 on the ice.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Hamilton QBPP
2019-2020: 22.3% (21.6% before he broke his leg)
2020-2021: 25.6%

DeAngelo QBPP
2021-2022: 22%

Anyway, I still don't know what to do with TDA. Banking on prospects coming in and replacing NHL'ers..."Drayson Bowman and Zach Boychuck are coming!" killed that for me. TDA's anger issues make him scary on a longer term real money deal. But he'll probably take the deal the front office offered Hamilton (that they knew he would never accept), and it's not as if there are any free agents raring to go...

Is Chychrun a PP qb? Would Arizona go for a deal around Necas?

Last edited:

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
If he stays, his AAV won’t be more than $5.25M or less than $4M. Term won’t be any more than 3yrs.

That’s my prediction and imma sticking to it.

And I do think he ends up staying for $5M x 2…

Reactions: MinJaBen

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Let Smith walk, and maybe see if Cole is willing to re-up for another year. Bring up Chatfield full time, and explore some trade options that include Bear.

TDA is awesome, I'd love to have him in the fold for the next few years, but we can't break the bank for it. He's an excellent 3rd pairing defenseman who plays QB on our top PP unit, which allows him to collect a hell of a lot of points. If we can get him to re-up at 2 years $4.5m per year, that's perfect, otherwise just accept arbitration and take next offseason as it comes.

IMHO, our biggest need this offseason is someone who can play alongside Slavin. If we think that can be TDA going forward, great. If not, then we need to find someone who can, because it ain't Bear, that's for sure.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I dunno. I'd keep him on short term deals, 2 years, 3 maybe. Treat it as another Semin situation. Someone who you want to keep around, but also want to be able to easily get rid of in case other issues occur. Keep him always playing for a new contract and never too comfortable in his situation. Because that's when problems are most likely to occur.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Let's see which version of TDA shows up in the playoffs before committing lots of time/$$$ to him. Who knows, this guy could blow up (in a good way) and we want to lock him in for 5 years, or he could blow up (in a bad way) and we qualify him and try to trade his rights away. I think he's going to move toward the former, but who really knows...playoff hockey is a different animal. We need more data on this guy.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Couple of things....I'd think the front office is going to try and stay away from 2 year deals this off-season. We've got too many important pieces coming up for new contracts. I'd think TDA get's his 1 year arbitration deal and then whatever happens, happens.

Morrow's going to play at least a partial season in the AHL following college is my guess. I'd like to see Anttoni Honka come over and get a year w/Chicago to see what we've got there. He's as likely to replace Tony as a PPQB as Morrow IMO. I'm also pretty high on Ronan Seeley who is likely to find his way to Chicago next season. While not a QB, he'll be someone to watch.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I'd think TDA get's his 1 year arbitration deal and then whatever happens, happens.
I'm not saying that it's not possible, but there's two big counterpoints to it:

1. No one in their right mind should actually plan to actually go through an arbitration hearing with their player, because it's gonna sour the relationship when the player hear you telling why he shouldn't be paid. Opting for arbitration in itself is a good strategy, but mainly because it sets a date by which there is an SPC to be signed and puts some pressure to get a voluntary one negotiated before the hearing,

2. It's stupid to just take the player's hand and walk him into UFA so he can auction himself to all the teams with more cap space than sense, when you hold the cards today to buy one or more UFA years at a somewhat bargain price off him. If he's not willing to sell, that's another thing, but you should at least try.

1 would obviously further amplify the 2.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Couple of things....I'd think the front office is going to try and stay away from 2 year deals this off-season. We've got too many important pieces coming up for new contracts. I'd think TDA get's his 1 year arbitration deal and then whatever happens, happens.

Morrow's going to play at least a partial season in the AHL following college is my guess. I'd like to see Anttoni Honka come over and get a year w/Chicago to see what we've got there. He's as likely to replace Tony as a PPQB as Morrow IMO. I'm also pretty high on Ronan Seeley who is likely to find his way to Chicago next season. While not a QB, he'll be someone to watch.
I see your point on the 2 year contract thing. If I ran the show, I would be giving out as many 2 year deals as possible. Next off-season, only Fast, Staal, the goalies, and Gardiner are coming off the books. Staal is almost undoubtably staying, Fast should be an easy keep decision. They only tougher situation is the goalies. After that is handled, we should spend the entire rest of the off-season trying to re-sign as many as we can.

I would give Necas a two year bridge. Then we decide which two of Turbo, Necas, and Jarvis we keep long term on the right side as 1RW and 2RW. try to get at least one of the two re-signed in 22-23

Re-signing Aho after 22-23 would be the priority

Try to re-sign Pesce after 22-23.

I let Skjei walk unless Seeley, Nishikin, or another young defender isnt ready for the NHL in 23-24. So no need to worry about re-signing him.

Then we see what the cap is in 23-24 and re-sign everyone else we need to and fill out the roster in the 24 off-season.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
No way TDA gets an arbitration deal. He has CLEARLY bought into Rod's culture and system. You don't carry him one year on some arbitration contract, sour the guy you literally salvaged and who might just feel like he belongs and might just give you a friendly deal.

You lock him up for 3 years if you can. This go to arbitration then let him Get away when he fits, and is reasonably priced is nonsense. He earned his spot. He held up his end of the deal.

Morrow Morrow Morrow.

Morrow could be Bowman or Boychuk for all we know.

Reactions: moses malone 12

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
51 points.

Told you.

Pay the man.

Agree. I do miss the 155mm slinging in from the blue line tho

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad