Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
When Shattenkirk comes back, hopefully they put one of the three young D with one of the vets. Gets ADA away from O'Gara

Skjei-Pionk
Gilmour-Shatty
Staal-ADA

I also would not mind ADA getting games with Skjei. They should at least get a feel of playing together, because it is something that could happen next season.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
ADA has too much MDZ in his game... not really a fan. I hope he can prove otherwise, but I see his career trajectory being about the same. Basically a offensively skilled D that just can't put it all together
I get what you're saying, but for all the flak we give Del Zotto, dude is 27 and has 550 NHL games to his credit. There's a seriously legitimate chance the guy plays 1000 NHL games, which is pretty great for anyone.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
ADA has too much MDZ in his game... not really a fan. I hope he can prove otherwise, but I see his career trajectory being about the same. Basically a offensively skilled D that just can't put it all together

MDZ is a very solid middle pair NHL player. I'll take that in a heartbeat thank you.

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
It would have to be their 1st this year (assuming it's top-8) and a nice prospect like Puljujaarvi. That's the price. If they don't want to pay it, okay, keep him.

Kunitz is and will be even more just a shadow of his old self. Does he even have enough fire in his belly to motivate, and even if he does, he'd be a struggling 4th liner at best. Supplement, not someone who could lead.

When Shattenkirk comes back, hopefully they put one of the three young D with one of the vets. Gets ADA away from O'Gara

Skjei-Pionk
Gilmour-Shatty
Staal-ADA

I also would not mind ADA getting games with Skjei. They should at least get a feel of playing together, because it is something that could happen next season.

O’Gara has to go. Does not belong at this level. Getting worse.

I’d go

Skjei DeAngelo
Staal Shattenkirk
Gilmour Pionk

i'd want...

(no order to these pairs)

Gilmour - ADA
Staal - Shattenkirk
Skjei - Pionk
All of these are infinitely better than what we have now – and yet they all suffer from having at least one pair that's going to get pushed around in its own end. I think the first of the three is probably the most optimal, but so long as you're playing Pionk, ADA, Gilmour and Shattenkirk you're always going to have this problem. Ideally, you'd move one or two of them for someone bigger/stronger.

Reactions: eco's bones

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
All of these are infinitely better than what we have now – and yet they all suffer from having at least one pair that's going to get pushed around in its own end. I think the first of the three is probably the most optimal, but so long as you're playing Pionk, ADA, Gilmour and Shattenkirk you're always going to have this problem. Ideally, you'd move one or two of them for someone bigger/stronger.

So no one saw O'Gara actually clearing people from the crease better than the other current defensemen. Ok.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
MDZ is a very solid middle pair NHL player. I'll take that in a heartbeat thank you.

He's a warm body on D. He's nowhere near what anyone expected as an offensive D and his defensive is average at best. If 20-25 points a season and average D is all we can expect from ADA I'll be pretty damn disappointed

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He's a warm body on D. He's nowhere near what anyone expected as an offensive D and his defensive is average at best. If 20-25 points a season and average D is all we can expect from ADA I'll be pretty damn disappointed
I'd say he's more than a warm body. Or at least NHL teams see him as such. He hasn't put up noteworthy point totals in 6-7 years yet he's been a regular player all that time. He's played like 240 games in 4 years since we traded him; warm bodies don't play 240 NHL games. He's going to play 800-1000 NHL games overall barring a serious injury.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Remember there’s more than a couple guys like stralman that came into the league as offensive defensemen then when they couldn’t score developed their defensive game..

Not saying this is the path ADA will take. I think ADA will become a Keith Yandle type

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I get what you're saying, but for all the flak we give Del Zotto, dude is 27 and has 550 NHL games to his credit. There's a seriously legitimate chance the guy plays 1000 NHL games, which is pretty great for anyone.

I think we sometimes overlook all the guys who are talented, but flawed. There are many levels of success by which we can judge a player.

I think the challenge for many first round picks is that fans set such high expectations. In many cases, anything less than being a star is going to feel like a disappointment.

It’s the running joke that was batted around near the deadline. You ask posters on here and they have at least 10 guys who are all likely to be core players some day. And that’s apparently never more obvious than in the off-season after said player was drafted or signed.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
I'd say he's more than a warm body. Or at least NHL teams see him as such. He hasn't put up noteworthy point totals in 6-7 years yet he's been a regular player all that time. He's played like 240 games in 4 years since we traded him; warm bodies don't play 240 NHL games. He's going to play 800-1000 NHL games overall barring a serious injury.

He's playing big minutes in a lot of those games, too. I pulled for MDZ when he was here. I would have been shocked if you'd told me then that he would turn out to be a middling offensive player with far more PK time than PP, but that's what he's been for a few years now. Multiple teams have played him as a top-3 more than a bottom 3.

Our issue isn't that he's no good. It's that he's not as good as we imagined him to be. As I mentioned earlier, it's almost impossible for ANY of our prospects to end up as good as we imagined them to be, particularly in certain positions (PMD, top 6 C).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad