Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
And Boomer’s take was dumb and I don’t agree with it either but he’s got the right to say it and he didn’t say anything bad that would warrant a response like that IMO. It shows really thin skin from DeAngelo.
Dan boyle had much thinner skin. He got praised here for smashing brooks. I wonder if the same people who praised Boyle for smashing Brooks have a problem with a much tamer response from ada? I wonder if nevesis posted that it was ada at the bar instead of pionk what the reaction would have been?

I get the diff bt brooks and boomer too obviously but ada also had a much tamer response to boomer than the one boyle gave. No one was talking about his impulse co trol for losing it in the media. Avery did 1000x worse. He was loved. People focused more on his actual hockey

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Yup, that's why i said i get it if you dislike him doing it. But the level to which people are reacting screams 'agenda' and HF has its own immediate history when it comes to that
Seriously? Check my history, I never said one bad thing about ADA, much less having an “agenda” against the kid, and my only reaction was that it was a bad move on his part. If anything it is you who’s overreacting.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Criticizing Boomer's tweet is no different than criticizing ADA's tweet. Either they are both okay or not.
The level of criticism is vastly different. You want to say both should shut up? Fair. That's not what people were saying. It seems very obvious there's an agenda behind certain opinions expressed last page

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
Boomer specifically targeted ADA and put him down, whether its right or wrong doesn't matter really. However, Boomer's comment can lead many others to freely dump on the guy, even if they have no idea about what hockey is. People have the right to say whatever they wish, but to then expect people not to react or respond, when specifically mentioned is naïve on their part, athlete or not!
ADA's response was actually pretty mature and made it about supporting him and the TEAM! The rebuild will be long and tough, and the young guys will need lots of encouragement and support from fans, including public figures who claim to be fans of the team...

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I just think that ADA will have a much more enjoyable experience as a pro athlete if he avoids what media (and online fans) are saying at any given moment.

Not too many athletes are going to take to social media after each game to debate whether or not they played well.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I'm in the camp of not thinking ADA is going to put it together, but I have no problem with a guy standing up for himself or others in any forum.

Is it smarter for pro athletes to insulate themselves from social media? Probably, but this is who the kid is. If he makes it, this is still going to be who he is.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
The level of criticism is vastly different. You want to say both should shut up? Fair. That's not what people were saying. It seems very obvious there's an agenda behind certain opinions expressed last page

What's the agenda?

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Dan boyle had much thinner skin. He got praised here for smashing brooks. I wonder if the same people who praised Boyle for smashing Brooks have a problem with a much tamer response from ada? I wonder if nevesis posted that it was ada at the bar instead of pionk what the reaction would have been?

I get the diff bt brooks and boomer too obviously but ada also had a much tamer response to boomer than the one boyle gave. No one was talking about his impulse co trol for losing it in the media. Avery did 1000x worse. He was loved. People focused more on his actual hockey

Well Boyle never had an issue with anyone in the media it seemed until that final blowup and he was out the door at that point anyway so it was more amusing to see than anything.

I can only speak for myself but if that was DeAngelo in that video I'd have no issue. Guys are entitled to their own free time and to do what they want. I'll never criticize anyone for enjoying their life and it's especially stupid when people will criticize an athlete for going to a bar or something after a loss.

I just think this entire thing isn't really a great look for him. On its own, it's pretty harmless. But he should probably take a step back with the social media because it seems like not much good comes from it for him.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
I went back a few pages to see what everyone was complaining about and found it very mild.

That's what people are upset about? He sounds like an upset kid because people are ripping on him despite him acknowledging he's not where he wants to be, but is trying to improve.
Given his past, I expected much worse. Maybe he shouldn't have replied, but his reply was mature.

I think he's had a rough time. He was always known as a trouble maker as a teen and is now having a hard time shaking that image. Don't think he would do well under Torts - probably a kid who just needs some TLC

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I don't know if any of the agenda stuff is meant to be towards me or not. I don't have any kind of agenda if it is. I've been coming to this board since before the WTC came down and there's times when I've gone silent for whole seasons at a time. My agenda is I want the team to be good and right now, I don't think he helps the cause. If I'm wrong, good. It's not like I'm going to hate on some 23 year old kids dream for giggles. I was as excited as anyone to get him before I saw what it is we got.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
No he has been ... it's because the rest of his team is so dang good he can be limited in his role ... which is fine. I said all along Girardi is not very good, but on a stacked team given limited minutes and duties, he's ok.
Nah he still has the same issues, he just plays less and with better surrounding players so it doesn’t make as big a difference.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Let them tweet and some plays hockey like DeAngelo, but it`s positive they are engaged which is part of our society. Although, we need an upgrade who are stronger defensive compare to DeAngelo hence why should consider to move him. We need a stronger defensive player part of our future core - at least that`s how I see it at the moment.
You had me up until you said moving ADA. Young D men have a tougher time in their first couple of seasons than forwards do, so I'm cutting these young guys a LOT of slack.

[Off topic: I like ADA a lot but I LOVE Gilmour. I am really excited to see what he can develop into. He's got all the tools, especially quickness.]

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad