Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo

Anttiup32

Jan 29, 2018
In the 4 games since his callup he’s done exactly what I wanted to see from him. Produced shots, played physical and did well on zone exits and entries. There’s still tons of room for improvement however I think he’s taken steps in the right direction.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
He looks much more driven than earlier in the season. I think he knows this is his last shot to prove he deserves an NHL roster spot, and he's desperate to prove it. Definitely think he's on his way to doing exactly that

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
He looks fantastic, having him and Skjei going forward makes our D one of the smoothest skating in the league. Stark contrast from the past several years with Girardi & Staal. He makes decisions with the puck really quickly and his hockey sense just seems to be so much better than in early stages of his career. He has elite offensive talent and it's looking more and more like he'll be able to put it together at the NHL level
I hope he stays up with the Rangers, they only sent him down for all star break right?

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
He looks much more driven than earlier in the season. I think he knows this is his last shot to prove he deserves an NHL roster spot, and he's desperate to prove it. Definitely think he's on his way to doing exactly that

I feel like he'll still have a shot in training camp next season but it might be his last shot this season.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's done well, but I don't see the place in the lineup for him and Shattenkirk. They fill the same role, play the same side. Its poor asset management by the GM.

Its not really an issue until Shattenkirk returns, but what do you do with the deployment when Shattenkirk does return?

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Subtract Holden at the deadline and there is room, but one of Shattenkirk/ADA has to play with McD if he's still here.

We'll see if Shattenkirk even comes back this season. The team may just shut him down if they go into free fall-firesale mode.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I’d play him with Skjei and work on that being a balanced pair moving forward. Make Skjei stop this riverboat gambler role that they have him playing and let him get back to playing defense. That pairing has some serious wheels and can be really useful at pressuring on both ends of the ice

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Subtract Holden at the deadline and there is room, but one of Shattenkirk/ADA has to play with McD if he's still here.

We'll see if Shattenkirk even comes back this season. The team may just shut him down if they go into free fall-firesale mode.

Thats not my point.

I'm not talking about having a spot available among the 6, I'm talking about deployment. Shattenkirk and DeAngelo play the same role. Is there room for two of the same role on one side?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I’d play him with Skjei and work on that being a balanced pair moving forward. Make Skjei stop this riverboat gambler role that they have him playing and let him get back to playing defense. That pairing has some serious wheels and can be really useful at pressuring on both ends of the ice

I still think Skjei can be a good player but he had 27 points in 109 games for the U.

He really needs to not with thinking he's Brent Burns.

Reactions: East Coast Bias

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Thats not my point.

I'm not talking about having a spot available among the 6, I'm talking about deployment. Shattenkirk and DeAngelo play the same role. Is there room for two of the same role on one side?

How's this a problem unless you mess up D-pairing? 3 spots on the right side and we are talking 2 defensemen? The team would need a 3rd righty to be able to play PK and more defensive situations but that shouldn't be a big deal.

Shattenkirk is signed for 3 (not 6) more years after this one and doesn't have a full NMC. And we really haven't seen a real Shattenkirk this season, except for maybe 2-3 week period early on.

Reactions: UnSandvich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
How's this a problem unless you mess up D-pairing? 3 spots on the right side and we are talking 2 defensemen? The team would need a 3rd righty to be able to play PK and more defensive situations but that shouldn't be a big deal.

Shattenkirk is signed for 3 (not 6) more years after this one and doesn't have a full NMC. And we really haven't seen a real Shattenkirk this season, except for maybe 2-3 week period early on.

Shattenkirk is for his career 58% ratio of o-zone to d-zone starts. DeAngelo hasn't accumulated enough games to get a sample size, but it should probably be something around that. We'd need a third guy who pretty much has like the hardest deployment in the whole league to get those two players their optimal deployment. And then the left side has to have 3 PK guys.

It can work, but I think its far from ideal for the team long-term to have DeAngelo and Shattenkirk in the same lineup.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I still think Skjei can be a good player but he had 27 points in 109 games for the U.

He really needs to not with thinking he's Brent Burns.
His offense was a fluke like a few smart posters predicted and got vilified for mentioning it as a possibility. He’s always been a good 1-on-1 defender and has the speed to take away space from attacking forwards. That’s impossible to do when you’re always freewheeling it and basically trying to be a 4th forward. They want to make him Werenski, but Werenski’s offensive abilities are so far superior to Skjei’s that they basically shoot into orbit.

Anttiup32

Jan 29, 2018
Shattenkirk is for his career 58% ratio of o-zone to d-zone starts. DeAngelo hasn't accumulated enough games to get a sample size, but it should probably be something around that. We'd need a third guy who pretty much has like the hardest deployment in the whole league to get those two players their optimal deployment. And then the left side has to have 3 PK guys.

It can work, but I think its far from ideal for the team long-term to have DeAngelo and Shattenkirk in the same lineup.

I disagree. Multiple teams have 2 offensive defenseman. The eventual problem would be if/when Sean Day makes it to the NHL. I don’t think he’ll ever be a big penalty killer.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017

See here is a classic example of where all the fancy stat guys lose a lot of fans. Somehow now it would be a problem having 2 mobile right side puck moving defenseman with top level offensive ability on one team. Huh?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I disagree. Multiple teams have 2 offensive defenseman. The eventual problem would be if/when Sean Day makes it to the NHL. I don’t think he’ll ever be a big penalty killer.

Its not just two offensive defenseman. You'd want two on your team, but different sides. They both play the same side, thats the main key here. Its no problem if they play different sides.

And these aren't EK or OEL type of offensive defensemen who can also play a defensive role, these are purely offensive players. You can't put them out on the PK or try to deploy them with a neutral role. Its not going to work. Having two heavily sheltered defenseman on the same side is hard to work around.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Thats not my point.

I'm not sure what ADA turns into yet. While I tend to agree he and Shattenkirk both on the Right side can become an issue, I think it's also possible eventually ADA develops his defensive game enough to play in a slightly different role going forward.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017

See here is where all the fancy stat boys lose credibility with fans like myself and many others. Now we are using stats to say it is a PROBLEM to have 2 right side, mobile puck moving defenseman with high end offensive talent on one team. Huh?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

I'm not a "fancy stats guy".

This is basic hockey logic. You have 3 spots on a side, two of those need to be heavily sheltered to be effective, its tough to work around. The way you phrased your response is also so dishonest about the abilities of the two players.

It's poor asset management by the GM. You don't bring in Shattenkirk after you trade for DeAngelo as a big piece of the Stepan trade.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
I'm not a "fancy stats guy".

This is basic hockey logic. You have 3 spots on a side, two of those need to be heavily sheltered to be effective, its tough to work around. The way you phrased your response is also so dishonest about the abilities of the two players.

It's poor asset management by the GM. You don't bring in Shattenkirk after you trade for DeAngelo as a big piece of the Stepan trade.
So they are not both right side puck moving mobile defenseman with tons of offense I’ve upside? Shoot I’m sorry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad