GDT: Tonight's the Nite. Oilers meet their match

VABUCK

Oct 31, 2014
Midlothian, VA
So are the Jackets officially in tank mode? They even f'd that up last year! Although I think Pascal is a better choice for tank mode.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Can anyone logically explain to me why Roslovic plays in the line with Fantilli + Jenner and Bemstrom is healthy scratch? Only a question.
Roslovic is faster and a better passer, and a better trade chip to showcase.

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
I know we’re a lackluster opponent on a weeknight but this crowd was extremely tame and lame for a team about to win their 14th in a row. Nationwide arena was jumping.

Pretty quiet regular season rink until the playoffs roll around. It's actually like that in all the Canadian markets. American crowds are definitely much more energetic and louder.

• Haha
Reactions: OILLIO

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
Oilers fan here, just wanted to say you guys played a great game.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
If you stayed up to watch this terrible Jackets team lose to the 🔥 Oilers, you’re a certified sicko.
I did, but I spent most of the last part of the game wondering if it would be stupid to do a quick fly in/out to NJ for the Devils Stadium Series game in a few weeks.

Can anyone logically explain to me why Roslovic plays in the line with Fantilli + Jenner and Bemstrom is healthy scratch? Only a question.

Roslovic is faster and a better passer, and a better trade chip to showcase.
And Bemstrom just isn't very good in the NHL.

Reactions: Cowumbus

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I was away and missed the game.

Just looking it up on moneypuck they have the xG for each line like this:

Fantilli - Jenner - Roslovic .274 xGF 1.199 xGA

Gaudreau - Sillinger - Chinakhov .163 xGF .116 xGA

Kuraly - Danforth - Texier .71 xGF .245 xGA

Johnson - Voronkov - Marchenko .909 xGF .224 xGA

This is strangely almost exactly how the numbers looked in the Devils game. The Fantilli-Jenner-Roslovic line getting smoked. Sillinger's line hanging in, and the other two lines putting up really good numbers.

Is Jenner's line getting harder matchups? I'm not sure I'd want them getting harder matchups. A rookie, a bad defensive forward, and a guy just returning from injury.

You tell me if this is how the lines have looked by your eye.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus

This is strangely almost exactly how the numbers looked in the Devils game. The Fantilli-Jenner-Roslovic line getting smoked. Sillinger's line hanging in, and the other two lines putting up really good numbers.

Is Jenner's line getting harder matchups? I'm not sure I'd want them getting harder matchups. A rookie, a bad defensive forward, and a guy just returning from injury.

Eye test only - Sillinger line was getting the hardest matchups. Other than when the 4th line would go up against the McDavid line for faceoffs in our end due to last change.

Fantilli line can’t get in the zone. The pace of play doesn’t mesh well for them, IMO. We need Fantilli in space in the middle of the ice, not waiting for the puck along the outside. The best the line looked was when Fantilli was essentially going to coast to coast.

Last edited:

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Roslovic was very good for at least the first 40 minutes though? Didn't see the 3rd period so don't know what happened there.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013

Oh wow... I had to step away for an hour and missed the 3rd period... For the first two periods I liked all the forward lines actually, I wasn't really paying any attention to matchups. That Jenner line had a couple nice chances, my favourite was when Roslovic forced a turnover at the offensive blueline and setup Fantilli beautifully, just what you expect from Jack :D Fantilli was hustling and the Oilers broadcast was kinda hyping him but tbh I didn't like his game, all hustle and not much to show for it, seemed to kinda fight the puck all night.

Anyway I would imagine their numbers would've been OK through what I watched... I imagine not so much in the 3rd... The CBJ first two periods 77% and 79% xGF... 3rd period 0.45% .... how do you even do that after a very good 1st period and downright dominant 2nd... I mean yeah, I had a bad feeling when they scored no goals in the 2nd but WTF

Reactions: squashmaple

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio

Oh wow... I had to step away for an hour and missed the 3rd period... For the first two periods I liked all the forward lines actually, I wasn't really paying any attention to matchups. That Jenner line had a couple nice chances, my favourite was when Roslovic forced a turnover at the offensive blueline and setup Fantilli beautifully, just what you expect from Jack :D Fantilli was hustling and the Oilers broadcast was kinda hyping him but tbh I didn't like his game, all hustle and not much to show for it, seemed to kinda fight the puck all night.

Anyway I would imagine their numbers would've been OK through what I watched... I imagine not so much in the 3rd... The CBJ first two periods 77% and 79% xGF... 3rd period 0.45% .... how do you even do that after a very good 1st period and downright dominant 2nd... I mean yeah, I had a bad feeling when they scored no goals in the 2nd but WTF
Mostly agree with NC’s response. Eye test told me all 4 lines and D were active on the forecheck and support of same especially in 2nd period. The 3rd period felt like EDM turned up the pressure a little, like CBJ (especially the D) forgot the easy/crisp exits that were surprisingly evident during first two periods, and then when CBJ did get into the O-zone, they stopped shooting the puck. At one point late in the 3rd, CBJ had 3 SOG, despite trailing for much of the period. The lack of puck possession and scoring put too much pressure on CBJ in the d-zone. Of the three EDM goals in the 3rd, Elvis had a decent chance at stopping only one.
Just felt like the best forecheck in 2 seasons dried up in the 3rd.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
Made no effort not to interfere in fact he purposely fell backwards
the rule is basically straight forward. He got pushed and he was going down. Played rec hockey for 20 years and once you start to fall there is only so much you can do

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
the rule is basically straight forward. He got pushed and he was going down. Played rec hockey for 20 years and once you start to fall there is only so much you can do

I respect Hyman either way. Not like we wouldn't our guys to skirt the rules if they can.

That's a cool Mike Foligno pic by the way.

Reactions: thebus88

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Roslovic was very good for at least the first 40 minutes though? Didn't see the 3rd period so don't know what happened there.
And what was his "he was very good" based on? Did he create chances? Did he win fights, all regularly? Did he have any dangerous shots? Did his play without the puck help the line? Fantilli and Jenner played very good but I didn't say it about Jack. One played average.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cowumbus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad