Confirmed with Link: Tom Wilson re-signs 2years 2 mil AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The Caps wont need to protect Beagle. McPhee wont want a win now player on a baby hockey team.

Not noticed? Did you watched the Detroit game? 3rd period pk. He blocked a huge shot. He won a critical face off. He had an assist. The Caps pk is up to 4th or something.

So, yea....when you are winning 5-0, you don't notice beagle as much.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Tex, I notice all players. That is a regular day at the office for Beagle. Last night, Oshie stood out, sorry Beags. Most nights the past 6 weeks, its been line 2 and 3... do you disagree?

I was mostly joking when I said Sill, the rhyme thing. But does a Sill or Malone on our team over Beagle, make us significantly less presidential, less Jenningsish? #System

Sill aside, I am fairly certain there will be 4Cs available in free agency that can pot 10 goals and pull 50.01%. A Matt Hendricks.

I understand the need for foot soldiers and Beagle is awesome. But he misses games, plays injured I suspect more than we know, and is not getting any younger. I think I saw him limp off just last night after blocking his gazillionth shot.

This is the Willy thread. He is big strong fast and just 22. I think he has improved on something every year. Notably skating, and adding solid PKing to arsenal, and I think I see improvements on puck skills. I think he still gets us PPs when a layman would think he takes dumb penalties being a goon!!!1! He can change a series with one hit maybe even more than Ovi can.

We don't know where he is going but do know his type takes extra development time, and also quietly protects our stars. **** Vegas, they can't have Willy.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
RH, I really expected you to appreciate Beagle. Hendricks has never scored 10 goals in a season. Beagle already has 11. Beagle is not a 50% face off guy. He is a 59% face off guy which is a huge difference. Yea....Willy

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Wilson was abusing Green on the shift that Carlson scored the GWG. It was kinda funny that Willy hit him like 3 times in one shift.

Wilson throwing his weight around is always charging the team with energy.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
He has simply cooled down a bit. He's still getting the job done, remember the snipe against Montreal? That wasn't too long ago. Beagle has good hands, good wheels and a decent hockey IQ offensively, he is able to play the passing system.

Do you protect Beagle over Willy?

I don't dispute all the great things Beagle does, and the hidden offensive talents we get to see. Who doesn't love Beagle?

I am more focused on age, injury history, and upside when I choose Willy. Not to mention my interest in Willy's long term development and sneaking suspicion he is not done cooking yet. We are pretty well stocked at C right now. Sanford is waiting in the wings.

Willy has been hanging in the new system too; he has 9 points in 2017, Beagle 8 including last nights assist.

I stand corrected in previous posts, Beagle is only 31.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
RH, I really expected you to appreciate Beagle. Hendricks has never scored 10 goals in a season. Beagle already has 11. Beagle is not a 50% face off guy. He is a 59% face off guy which is a huge difference. Yea....Willy

Your take is I dont appreciate him? C'mon. If a 4C at 58% was the key to the cup we would have won last year.

Advanced stats folks may tell you faceoffs are overrated. What are Kuz and Eller pulling? Those 2 lines are red hot. I will help... an embarrassing 43% and 47%

System > Faceoffs

This is a debate about who to protect. Who do you protect and why not the one you choose NOT to protect. I gave my reason.

Last edited:

Jun 15, 2007
I really really really think it doesn't matter if you protect Connolly, Wilson, Beagle or Eller.

Mcphee's going to grab Grubauer or snap up Schmidt.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Wilson was abusing Green on the shift that Carlson scored the GWG. It was kinda funny that Willy hit him like 3 times in one shift.

Wilson throwing his weight around is always charging the team with energy.

Damn I missed that! I thought the guys went out of their way to be nice to Greenie since he left, but leave it to Willy to say enough is enough. And a goal scored to boot, beautiful.

Lars ain't the only one sporting abs :handclap:

tom-wilson-brobeans-vacation.jpg

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Your take is I dont appreciate him? C'mon. If a 4C at 58% was the key to the cup we would have won last year.

Advanced stats folks may tell you faceoffs are overrated. What are Kuz and Eller pulling? Those 2 lines are red hot. I will help... an embarrassing 43% and 47%

System > Faceoffs

This is a debate about who to protect. Who do you protect and why not the one you choose NOT to protect. I gave my reason.

4c was the key to the cup. Cullen. Richards v Cullen.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Damn I missed that! I thought the guys went out of their way to be nice to Greenie since he left, but leave it to Willy to say enough is enough. And a goal scored to boot, beautiful.

Lars ain't the only one sporting abs :handclap:

Wilson is definitely ripped and it shows in how hard he hits fools.

That shift was GOLD JERRY!! Watch that again RH! I had to dvr that junx and watch it a few times to see the bewildered look on Green's face as Wilson lined him up time after time. Green was like "really?? how is this happening to me??"

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
4c was the key to the cup. Cullen. Richards v Cullen.

Actually, Richards was our 3C. No, I don't care about TOI.

The reason we lost is their defense quickly moved pucks rendering Barry's stubborn grind or bust approach to offense nearly useless. And, the odd mans he consistently allowed to occur. For months.

I think you said you would protect Willy. I guess you didn't answer the question because your reasons are largely the same as mine.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Ovechkin
Backstrom
Kuznetsov
Johansson
Burakovsky
Wilson
1 of Eller/Beagle

This is exactly how I see it playing out. Connolly is a arbitration eligible RFA who carries cost uncertainty and he isn't as vital as the other guys.

The tough one would be Eller or Beagle.

But either way Vegas will take Grubauer. They won't want an older C on the last year of a contract (which both Eller and Beagle will be)

That's assuming that they leave Oshie and Williams as UFAs and expose them to Vegas. If they extend either of them, suddenly the bottom of that list becomes even more competitive.

I'd also protect Eller before I protected Wilson.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
That's assuming that they leave Oshie and Williams as UFAs and expose them to Vegas. If they extend either of them, suddenly the bottom of that list becomes even more competitive.

I'd also protect Eller before I protected Wilson.

There is no way we will resign Oshie and/or Williams prior to expansion. None.

Also it is unlikely either of those guys would want to sign prior to expansion.

Wilson is going to get protected due to his age/contract status. GMGM won't pick Eller or Beagle as they are older and will be on the last years of their contracts.

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
Would you guys consider Hansen for Wilson?

He could squeak by the expansion draft due to only one year left on contract @2.5M per

He's like the Pens Hagelin, a speedy checker who can pot 15-20 goals, only has more bite to his game, can easily play on any line, he's played his best with the Sedins 1st line to checking great on 2nd/3rd lines.

Could help you guys considerably in the playoffs right now.

Just a thought.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

He could squeak by the expansion draft due to only one year left on contract @2.5M per

He's like the Pens Hagelin, a speedy checker who can pot 15-20 goals, only has more bite to his game, can easily play on any line, he's played his best with the Sedins 1st line to checking great on 2nd/3rd lines.

Just a thought.

I'd consider that long and hard, and that's coming from someone that really doesn't want to trade Wilson because he's very good defensive player, good shot-blocker and trading him makes Capitals a much softer team.

That being said, Hansen would add more of a scoring threat, he's more physical than your average player, and a definite upgrade over Wilson for duration of his contract.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006

Just a thought.

Interesting thought, but not easy to see a fit.

For this playoff run, I don't think he'd displace any of our RWs, including Wilson, who probably fits the 4th line identity better.

For short term -- next couple of seasons, I can see some scenarios for the Caps to be interested in a player like Hansen as a budget top-9 RW, but the roster picture for next year is very unclear, I doubt they'd consider something like this as a preventative measure for (possibly) losing Wilson. Because, worst case, if the Caps do indeed lose Wilson instead of Grubauer, then they should still be able to trade Grubauer down the line for somebody like Hansen -- or an equivalent asset. So I don't think there's a particular motivation to expedite this.

Maybe something to consider down the line, after the dust settles.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If the Caps play the Penguins Holmqvist will run Holtby and will throw forearms and elbows at Caps high end players. Wilson is a must to either keep him honest or to target their top end players. Wilson isn't a goalie runner. They need someone else for that.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Wilson plays his role and he plays it as well as anyone in the league doing what he does (energy, pk, pest, enforcer, etc)

He's an incredible role player and a great physical equalizer that the Caps brass LOVES.

Any Caps fan who says they would "consider" such a trade is entitled to their opinion but we thankfully have a great GM who understands what level of value Wilson brings.

Fans of other teams:

"Wilson is stinks!!! He is a Rinaldo clone!! LOL!! Btw... What about we give you (player x/draft pick) for Wilson??"

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Wilson plays his role and he plays it as well as anyone in the league doing what he does (energy, pk, pest, enforcer, etc)

He's an incredible role player and a great physical equalizer that the Caps brass LOVES.

Any Caps fan who says they would "consider" such a trade is entitled to their opinion but we thankfully have a great GM who understands what level of value Wilson brings.

Fans of other teams:

"Wilson is stinks!!! He is a Rinaldo clone!! LOL!! Btw... What about we give you (player x/draft pick) for Wilson??"

Yes, but he's still a well-paid 4th liner (mostly on potential) on a team that's in win-now mode facing a big cap crunch and the expansion draft.

Caps are gonna lose at least 3 players they (really) like this offseason... plus Winnik, haha.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yes, but he's still a well-paid 4th liner (mostly on potential) on a team that's in win-now mode facing a big cap crunch and the expansion draft.

Caps are gonna lose at least 3 players they (really) like this offseason... plus Winnik, haha.

Mostly on potential dismisses that both his quality of penalty killing and even strength defensive play. It dismisses the obvious impact of his physical play in an offensive way and his presence as a defender of the team's skill players.

Players that are intimidating AND that can also play hockey at a high level in any phase of the game are very rare.

He has potential to add offense to his his game, but he brings far more than just that potential already. meanwhile if he popped in 15 goals next season his cap hit would be nowhere near where it is now.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Mostly on potential dismisses that both his quality of penalty killing and even strength defensive play. It dismisses the obvious impact of his physical play in an offensive way and his presence as a defender of the team's skill players.

Players that are intimidating AND that can also play hockey at a high level in any phase of the game are very rare.

He has potential to add offense to his his game, but he brings far more than just that potential already. meanwhile if he popped in 15 goals next season his cap hit would be nowhere near where it is now.

Actually, I thought I edited that part out, so thanks for noting that I didn't.

You're swinging at a windmill that is the artifact of a bad edit, haha.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

Not directed at you but....

I think its fresh the people say this. Its one thing if he was making $4 or $5 mil per and playing on the 4th line. He's making $2 million....I'd wager the average 4th liner comes in at $1.5 give or take. Its not as if it is some awful deal.

And as 4th liners go he is one of the best at what he does NOW and has potential still as you say.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Wilson's physical play and enforcer regulatory role are both very overstated here. They haven't been factors much in the regular season at all. We'll see if they are in the playoffs but this is not a team is wusses. They don't need Tom Wilson backing other teams down. They'll protect one another whether he's on the ice or not.

I'd really think about the Hansen deal but I doubt the Caps do. I don't expect them to add any forward that either requires the subtraction of one or causes one to sit.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Wilson's physical play and enforcer regulatory role are both very overstated here. They haven't been factors much in the regular season at all. We'll see if they are in the playoffs but this is not a team is wusses. They don't need Tom Wilson backing other teams down. They'll protect one another whether he's on the ice or not.

I'd really think about the Hansen deal but I doubt the Caps do. I don't expect them to add any forward that either requires the subtraction of one or causes one to sit.

Disagree here. Wilson creates chaos on the forecheck. You can see guys just coughing up the puck when they sense him nearby. And we really don't see nearly as many cheap shots on our stars as you might think while playing an obviously open style of hockey.

He isn't fighting like a meathead as much, yeah, but don't underestimate his presence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad