Confirmed with Link: Tolchinsky - 3 year ELC

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Nice read on this here.

Excellent read, I also recommend it. Really impressed with how Tolchinsky rebounded from the disappointment at the draft to busting his ass at two development camps resulting in a contract. I'm gonna go ahead and predict a future fan favorite in the making here.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I enjoyed watching Sergei at prospect camp and I'm happy with the signing.

But as for the draft, I think everyone is ignoring the "Russian" factor. When you combine his lack of size with the fact that he's Russian, his chances of getting drafted were virtually nil. Think about how hard it's going to be for Tolchinsky to make the NHL, how hard he's going to have to work, how many players are going to be given chances before him. Then realize that at any point, a Russian team could make him an offer to play in the KHL and he's gone.

The way the "Russian factor" is working out these days is that all is fine with Russian players ... as long as everything is going as expected. But *the moment* things get difficult, they start looking around for an easy way out (see Burmistrov, Alex). And it doesn't seem to matter if they came over to play juniors, or if they are "good guys," or if they've said they aren't considering Russia.

And if you put that together with the fact that Tolchensky is virtually certain to face hardship on his way to meaningful minutes in the NHL, I guess we'll see. But I can certainly understand not wanting to use a draft pick on an undersized Russian.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I enjoyed watching Sergei at prospect camp and I'm happy with the signing.

But as for the draft, I think everyone is ignoring the "Russian" factor. When you combine his lack of size with the fact that he's Russian, his chances of getting drafted were virtually nil. Think about how hard it's going to be for Tolchinsky to make the NHL, how hard he's going to have to work, how many players are going to be given chances before him. Then realize that at any point, a Russian team could make him an offer to play in the KHL and he's gone.

The way the "Russian factor" is working out these days is that all is fine with Russian players ... as long as everything is going as expected. But *the moment* things get difficult, they start looking around for an easy way out (see Burmistrov, Alex). And it doesn't seem to matter if they came over to play juniors, or if they are "good guys," or if they've said they aren't considering Russia.

And if you put that together with the fact that Tolchensky is virtually certain to face hardship on his way to meaningful minutes in the NHL, I guess we'll see. But I can certainly understand not wanting to use a draft pick on an undersized Russian.

Which all represents value opportunities for us.

--hank

Sasha Cares

28 mph!!!!!!!
Sep 25, 2006
Island of Misfit Toy
My parents live in Raleigh. Actually I will too, in about a week. Anyway, while visiting them a few weeks ago, I saw his highlights from rookie camp on WRAL. He looks really good. He's probably another OHL year away from getting noticed by anyone who does not frequent this board, but I was impressed. He's got skills, that's for sure - the only question is his size.

gonna be a closet Canes fan?

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
gonna be a closet Canes fan?

Not at all. I grew up in Raleigh and have been a loud and proud fan since the '00-'01 season. Holy crap, I feel old thinking about how that was 13 years ago.

Anyway, left for college in 2004, but now I'm coming back for a new job.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Just want to say again how much I enjoy watching this kid play. I think Carolina struck a little prospect gold here.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Just want to say again how much I enjoy watching this kid play. I think Carolina struck a little prospect gold here.

Thanks Chainshot, we're very excited about him too. It's odd to see such a small shoot first winger but at the lower levels he hasn't ever really been popped. We'll see if that changes. A little Jeff Skinner in his game in terms of the flash and dash, but better stickhandling and not as strong of a shot.

jeromeo87

Jul 23, 2010
I see Tlusty E.Staal Semin staying together for quite sometime.. I don't really think a player like Tolchinsky is what Skinner and J.Staal need on their line.. Tolchinsky would be nice to have as a scoring 3rd liner. I wonder if and how long it will take for him to make it to the NHL. It's gonna be fun watching him in Charlotte, though.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I see Tlusty E.Staal Semin staying together for quite sometime.. I don't really think a player like Tolchinsky is what Skinner and J.Staal need on their line.. Tolchinsky would be nice to have as a scoring 3rd liner. I wonder if and how long it will take for him to make it to the NHL. It's gonna be fun watching him in Charlotte, though.

Tolchinsky is at least 3 years away from the NHL if he ever makes it. Talking about slotting him anywhere is just impossible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad