Confirmed with Link: Tolchinsky - 3 year ELC

GhostofS16*

I've been tracking Tolchinsky for about a year and some now. All that guy does is prove people wrong. I had a good feeling he wouldn't have made it past Traverse City without a contract with the Rangers. Good on the scouting staff to convince Rutherford to sign him.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Good. As long as they have room for his contract there's really no investment here. They'll already be sending scouts to his games for the D they drafted this year so it doesn't even strain scouting resources.

Watching Krug in the playoffs this year may have influenced JR that despite his size it might be wise to do whatever he could (or say whatever he could) to get this guy under contract now.

Caniac4ever

Feb 7, 2008
Regardless how this works out, I'm impressed management is trying to put some more talent into the organization. The kid has his work cut out for him, but I'm excited to see what he can do!

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I wonder if the Canes had a 7th rounder this year if they would have picked him.

bluedevil58*

Going small again. This will result in us missing the playoffs. Other teams will enjoy a light skating exercise with no hits when playing the Canes.

Guy

Feb 14, 2008
This guy is a LOCK to not be on the roster this year, so I think we can blame any missed playoff shenanigans on someone else.

Can we safely assume that he'll be on the Canes roster at Traverse City now instead of New York's?

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Going small again. This will result in us missing the playoffs. Other teams will enjoy a light skating exercise with no hits when playing the Canes.
Why does someone always have to post something Pejorative Slured like this? Tolchinsky playing in the OHL has no relevance to the size of the Carolina Hurricanes in the coming season. Neither does Zach Boychuk playing in the AHL, for that matter.

Some people seem to have created an alternate reality where every small player under contract is going to make the team solely so they can complain about it. Every player they drafted this past offseason was at least 6'1", which has just as much relevance as Tolchinsky being 5'7".

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
Nice signing! All he does is prove doubters wrong. Unreal skill set and work ethic on this kid. Looking forward to seeing him on the Canes in a few years.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Why does someone always have to post something Pejorative Slured like this? Tolchinsky playing in the OHL has no relevance to the size of the Carolina Hurricanes in the coming season. Neither does Zach Boychuk playing in the AHL, for that matter.

Some people seem to have created an alternate reality where every small player under contract is going to make the team solely so they can complain about it. Every player they drafted this past offseason was at least 6'1", which has just as much relevance as Tolchinsky being 5'7".

Why doesn't this team ever sign guys like Anthony Stewart and Alex Ponikorovsky, or spend 1st round picks who are big and tough like Phillipe Pardis.....oh right.

bluedevil58*

This team has been going for small "skilled" forwards for years. It does us so well right? Look at all of our playoff appearances.

Panther mountain

Jul 13, 2013
I am freaking stoked about this. I was bummed when we didn't sign him after the camp. He is small but he cant be worse off than many of our prospects. We aren't exactly deep.

Plus I live in Charlotte so I get to watch him play! Until he makes it in Raleigh of course!

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
This team has been going for small "skilled" forwards for years. It does us so well right? Look at all of our playoff appearances.

This is an undrafted free agent who is 3 years away from getting a sniff at the NHL. The only other forwards who are likely to be on the team at that point are Lindholm, 2 Staals, Semin, and Skinner. Only one if those guys is under 6' and he's pretty good.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I've been tracking Tolchinsky for about a year and some now. All that guy does is prove people wrong. I had a good feeling he wouldn't have made it past Traverse City without a contract with the Rangers. Good on the scouting staff to convince Rutherford to sign him.

Hopefully this turns out better than the last couple FA prospects our scouts have recommended. Pistilli, Samson, Babin etc.

GhostofS16*

Hopefully this turns out better than the last couple FA prospects our scouts have recommended. Pistilli, Samson, Babin etc.

Tolchinsky is a tad more skilled than those guys. By a "tad", I mean them combined < Tolchinsky. Samson never projected to be a NHL regular outside of a few misguided folks. Those guys were added to the organization as depth, Tolchinsky has a chance to be more than that. A chance.

Furthermore, I'd take a chance on an undrafted OHL forward than a undrafted Q forward any day of the week. I believe all of those guys played in the Q, right (although I don't remember Noah Babin outside of his name). Tolchinsky was projected to get drafted by many, he just wasn't because of the fact he is small, Russian, and folks question his skating. The skating bit always makes me chuckle because folks get hung up on that aspect at times on many prospects when it really isn't a big deal. Just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad