Confirmed with Link: Tolchinsky - 3 year ELC

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Love this. Kid's a high risk player to pan out but no more so then most any 4th rounder. Adds a skill level to our organization that we just don't have too many of. Absolute coup by JR to get this kid as a UFA.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Samson was a pretty dominant AHL forward. There's nothing wrong with making the Checkers better. For a 1st or 2nd rounder, success is the NHL. But a consistent contributor at the AHL level is a pretty good career for 3rd+, let alone an undrafted kid.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Tolchinsky is a tad more skilled than those guys. By a "tad", I mean them combined < Tolchinsky. Samson never projected to be a NHL regular outside of a few misguided folks. Those guys were added to the organization as depth, Tolchinsky has a chance to be more than that. A chance.

Samson has an NHL skill set. If his skating was only marginally better, he'd be a third line regular for somebody. It isn't very often that you find a player through UDFA that can be dominant at the AHL level even, which Samson has been for the duration of his professional career. I would also say it's too early to write off his NHL chances considering he just signed contract with Winnipeg and the probability that he could get NHL time increased ten-fold. His AHL/NHL split is $200k/600k. That says to me that at the absolute worst they expect him to be ready for a call up.

As far as this news is concerned, it couldn't be more welcome to a prospect pool devoid of significant forwards. He immediately becomes one of our most skilled in the traditional sense of puck skill. He will be coming to Traverse City with us now that the official roster has been posted. There is no downside to this deal at all. Chances are good that even if he doesn't bust camp by the time this contract expires, he'll be back in Russia making the big bucks. We'll likely never be on the hook paying for this player past when we reasonably "want out" of the experiment should it come to that.

Exciting news.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
He was starting to get noticed... better to snatch him up before someone else does. And if it doesn't pan out, we have next to nothing invested in him. Good signing.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I mentioned something that bears repeating here too. I think a lot of teams were surprised pleasantly by the fact that Tolchinsky still planned to honor his commitment to the OHL instead of returning home to Russia and saying "forget the NHL", after going undrafted. Not only did he not return to Russia, he decided to go to every camp that would have him. Probably entertained a lot more offers than he accepted. He wanted to stay here. He wanted to prove his value to the teams that passed him. It says a lot about his character that he wouldn't pack it in and accept that North American hockey didn't appreciate his skills, but he did everything in his power to prove that the Russian factor wasn't applicable to him. That, more than most anything else, is the reason that JR likely wanted to bring him in the organization.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Tolchinsky is a tad more skilled than those guys. By a "tad", I mean them combined < Tolchinsky. Samson never projected to be a NHL regular outside of a few misguided folks. Those guys were added to the organization as depth, Tolchinsky has a chance to be more than that. A chance.

Furthermore, I'd take a chance on an undrafted OHL forward than a undrafted Q forward any day of the week. I believe all of those guys played in the Q, right (although I don't remember Noah Babin outside of his name). Tolchinsky was projected to get drafted by many, he just wasn't because of the fact he is small, Russian, and folks question his skating. The skating bit always makes me chuckle because folks get hung up on that aspect at times on many prospects when it really isn't a big deal. Just my opinion.

Yeah, that "question his skating" tag seems to get bandied about when no other explanation seems relevant. Justin Shugg and Chris Terry were tagged as such. My view is that both have improved their skating a great deal over the last couple of years (Terry more that Shugg but he's had a couple more years of work). Rask is another that's been labeled a questionable skater. Yet all these guys do is score and contribute. Hard to figure....

GhostofS16*

Samson has an NHL skill set.

I never understood that assessment on Samson as he has the perfect AHL game. I.e., he grinds like a boss and he has an average shot. That's about it for me, I've seen no other aspects of his toolbox that could possibly make him an NHL regular. He will always be a depth player in my eyes, get call ups but never sticking.

It isn't very often that you find a player through UDFA that can be dominant at the AHL level even, which Samson has been for the duration of his professional career.

There has always been guys like that. Steve Kariya comes to mind. Darren Haydar was fortunate there were still 9 rounds when he was drafted. Sometimes AHL skill sets just don't translate to the next level because a player just doesn't have enough tools to make it. Doesn't make him a bad player, but he isn't a NHL 3rd liner by any stretch of the imagination. I could be wrong once expansion comes around. It would be neat to see which guys who have been stuck in the AHL can become NHL regulars by then.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I never understood that assessment on Samson as he has the perfect AHL game. I.e., he grinds like a boss and he has an average shot. That's about it for me, I've seen no other aspects of his toolbox that could possibly make him an NHL regular. He will always be a depth player in my eyes, get call ups but never sticking.

I wouldn't underestimate how much that cycle game means to NHL clubs. And while his shot is not overwhelming, I would say it's NHL average but the best aspect of his game would be his ability to create shots. He has lead the AHL in virtually every year he has gotten meaningful minutes. He's a volume shooter and gets chances by that factor alone. Underrated tough. Sometimes these guys need to kick around the minors for a while until they embrace defensive issues and Samson is an effort guy. A strong candidate to be a third line player with cycle skills. I think Winnipeg will give him a chance to contribute. $200,000 at the AHL level is nothing to sneeze at and he might be one of the highest compensated AHL players that isn't a buried contract. Gerbe, a proven NHL player, picked up $250,000 in promised money from us. I think that speaks to how close Samson is to getting a real shot.

These guys usually get their shot in the mid to late 20's to prove they can get it done. Dwyer is an example. Aucion, Bayda with us. I think somebody will like what he brings one day. We just didn't appreciate it. Still a huge fan.

GhostofS16*

I wouldn't underestimate how much that cycle game means to NHL clubs. And while his shot is not overwhelming, I would say it's NHL average but the best aspect of his game would be his ability to create shots. He has lead the AHL in virtually every year he has gotten meaningful minutes. He's a volume shooter and gets chances by that factor alone. Underrated tough. Sometimes these guys need to kick around the minors for a while until they embrace defensive issues and Samson is an effort guy. A strong candidate to be a third line player with cycle skills. I think Winnipeg will give him a chance to contribute. $200,000 at the AHL level is nothing to sneeze at and he might be one of the highest compensated AHL players that isn't a buried contract. Gerbe, a proven NHL player, picked up $250,000 in promised money from us. I think that speaks to how close Samson is to getting a real shot.

These guys usually get their shot in the mid to late 20's to prove they can get it done. Dwyer is an example. Aucion, Bayda with us. I think somebody will like what he brings one day. We just didn't appreciate it. Still a huge fan.

Ok, I'll revise what I'm trying to say because of those names you mentioned: if guys like that are on your roster for long periods of time, you are in trouble.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I'm beyond stoked for this. Suck it NYR! :D

Can't wait to see what he can do, sick talent and an incredible work ethic and all he does is prove people wrong.

Hopefully this turns out better than the last couple FA prospects our scouts have recommended. Pistilli, Samson, Babin etc.

Wait.... What?

20130213-Babin-has-familiar-role-new-name.jpg

:sarcasm:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Ok, I'll revise what I'm trying to say because of those names you mentioned: if guys like that are on your roster for long periods of time, you are in trouble.

I would say that's fair. Most of the time teams that are in the position to give these guys a real chance aren't doing too hot in the standings. But it does bear mentioning that Bayda actually had a pretty good playoffs for us one year. Playing with Walker and Aucoin, IIRC. Walker and the Rats. It's just a matter of finding a role that fits.

Mr Whipple

Charmin Soft
Nov 9, 2008
Greenville, NC
I'm usually one to complain about signing smurfs, but I like this signing. Low risk, high potential for reward. It's not like he was signed to come right in and play on the Canes. If he makes it he'll have earned his shot. Plus we grab a player over the NYR? Win win.

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
If he's even somewhat productive in the NHL for a few seasons like another Russian midget named Sergei, then I'll consider this signing a great success.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I don't hate it. Nice that the first game of the Traverse City tournament is against the Rangers.

Been meaning to pay more attention to the players in juniors the last couple years but can never find the time. Hopefully this year I can catch a couple more games, especially those of Tolchinksy. Have a little soft spot for the smaller skilled guys like Theo Fleury and Martin St. Louis. Those of you that do watch junior games, where do you catch any games online?

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
You guys seem pretty excited about this. I don't really know who this guy is but looking at his numbers as well as the YT clip, I can say I'm cool with this.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
You guys seem pretty excited about this. I don't really know who this guy is but looking at his numbers as well as the YT clip, I can say I'm cool with this.

My parents live in Raleigh. Actually I will too, in about a week. Anyway, while visiting them a few weeks ago, I saw his highlights from rookie camp on WRAL. He looks really good. He's probably another OHL year away from getting noticed by anyone who does not frequent this board, but I was impressed. He's got skills, that's for sure - the only question is his size.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
it's really unfortunate that high skilled guys that happen to be 4" shy of 6' aren't usually given the opportunity to make it. gotta have alot of respect for the guys who do bust their balls pursuing their dream against all odds. respect Gerbe much regardless of how high he goes as he made the NHL, and wish Tolchinsky all the best.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
The guy was the most noticeable prospect at your development camp at only 18. He's got 1st line potential. If we was 3 inches taller he'd have been a top 5 pick.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
One other thing that I recall reading somewhere about Tolchinsky is that he's ripped. Allegedly he's something of a workout demon much like Gerbe. If that's the case, and they are not afraid to go into the corners, then size is a bit less of a factor. They've been playing their entire careers as "the little guy" so in many cases they have developed the 6th sense about upcoming hits and how to take them on. And if they are just plain strong, then pure size is also less of a factor. The clips I watched of Tolchinsky seemed to show just that. He wasn't afraid, he dove into the corner to fish out pucks, and he's got some pretty serious wheels too. This signing is the poster child for no risk/high reward.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
One other thing that I recall reading somewhere about Tolchinsky is that he's ripped. Allegedly he's something of a workout demon much like Gerbe. If that's the case, and they are not afraid to go into the corners, then size is a bit less of a factor. They've been playing their entire careers as "the little guy" so in many cases they have developed the 6th sense about upcoming hits and how to take them on. And if they are just plain strong, then pure size is also less of a factor. The clips I watched of Tolchinsky seemed to show just that. He wasn't afraid, he dove into the corner to fish out pucks, and he's got some pretty serious wheels too. This signing is the poster child for no risk/high reward.

yep and i bet it's somewhat difficult for the other players to deal with and hit these guys sometimes. didn't Tampa Bay have a couple of really small young guys in the lineup when they scored (each of them iirc) and beat the Canes last season? i seem to recall that.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.

Let's cross our fingers for another Martin St. Louis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad