Injury Report: Toews is in concussion protocol

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Can we just shut him down for good already?

He's earned the right to make that call, and frankly, at this point, I'm happy to let the Wirtz family pay the full freight on his contract instead of the insurance company.

That said, I'm at the point where I would sit pretty much anybody of value that isn't a trade possibility. Send Toews, Kane, Debrincat, Jones, etc to the Maldives for the next 6 months for all I care.

Nellie Fox

Jun 22, 2020
North Mankato, MN
He's earned the right to make that call, and frankly, at this point, I'm happy to let the Wirtz family pay the full freight on his contract instead of the insurance company.

That said, I'm at the point where I would sit pretty much anybody of value that isn't a trade possibility. Send Toews, Kane, Debrincat, Jones, etc to the Maldives for the next 6 months for all I care.
My understanding of the no-movement contract means that Toews and Kane can't be "sent to the Maldives." Unless they consent to going on waivers or being traded, they're on the roster.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
My understanding of the no-movement contract means that Toews and Kane can't be "sent to the Maldives." Unless they consent to going on waivers or being traded, they're on the roster.

No I meant concoct any reason not to play and let them rest and recover in the tropics for the rest of the season while the team tanks.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
At this point they should consider shutting Toews down

Let him recoup from injuries and focus on training up in offseason

Next year if he bounces back that is great and if he doesn't he is likely retiring or leaving as FA elsewhere as a role player trying to eek out a few more years in pursuit of cup

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
At this point they should consider shutting Toews down

Let him recoup from injuries and focus on training up in offseason

Next year if he bounces back that is great and if he doesn't he is likely retiring or leaving as FA elsewhere as a role player trying to eek out a few more years in pursuit of cup
My mind keeps going back to Sid. He looked to be done but took as long as he needed before returning and he is still going strong. Toews has nothing to gain by rushing himself back.

JohnLeg

Feb 21, 2022
First post here. Been lurking for years. Just came to say that Toews and the rest of that core are forever legends and aside from Kane the party is over. I have seen post concussion syndrome first hand that has destroyed guys in their 20's. Any advice other than to pack it in is bad advice for JT. I am legitimately scared for what his future is going to look like. He has nothing left to give at the NHL level. Take the well-earned money and retire a Blackhawks legend.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
No reason to rush him...."the season was a grind".......it would be sad to close him down and then have him retire though-----which I could easily see him do given his expectations on his game, compete level, etc.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
I was talking to someone who knows Toews and he said he is ‘a bad place’ with the concussions. His words and not sure how recently he talked to him. I know we want him back but he needs to think about life after hockey.
Unfortunately I’m not shocked to hear that. Toews has had too many concussions already in his career. And concussions can literally change someone’s personality entirely.

If he needs to retire and never play hockey again, then that’s how it has to be. As long as he can live a long and pain free life after hockey, that’s the only thing that matters.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
this might be it. i think he can still get paid for next year while sitting on LTIR all year and ride off into the sunset.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I was talking to someone who knows Toews and he said he is ‘a bad place’ with the concussions. His words and not sure how recently he talked to him. I know we want him back but he needs to think about life after hockey.
Describing Toews as being "in a bad place" is very general and could have different meanings. Is he depressed because of his health issues? Or is it much worse than that and Toews is feeling major symptoms (which I doubt is the case since he has recently returned to the ice)?
It would be nice if your friend could elaborate on his vague description and when exactly he talked with Toews.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Describing Toews as being "in a bad place" is very general and could have different meanings. Is he depressed because of his health issues? Or is it much worse than that and Toews is feeling major symptoms (which I doubt is the case since he has recently returned to the ice)?
It would be nice if your friend could elaborate on his vague description and when exactly he talked with Toews.

I’ll see him in June again but I didn’t want to put some of the things on here because then he (or his son) would be outed. I felt it was nice of him to provide what he did without me prying.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Great news to hear that Jonny is cleared. Now it's time for him to seriously consider his future. If he keeps playing he needs to change his style and let the young guys do the dirty work. I still think he has more offense in him and can contribute as a top-6 center in this league.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad