Injury Report: Toews is in concussion protocol

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Last 14 game 0 goals.

Just past the halfway mark of the season, perhaps a self imposed deadline for Jonny?

Can't do it 40 games in? Hang 'em up?

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Toews was in some discomfort but the play looked pretty innocent that wouldn't necessarily get a spotter's attention.
maybe in real time, still they are supposed to ErR on the side of caution is what I have heard and it is clear that captains head was going for the dasher, spotters should not be missing that!

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
Last 14 game 0 goals.

Just past the halfway mark of the season, perhaps a self imposed deadline for Jonny?

I don't know that there isn't a valid argument for LTIR this year or outright retirement. He does have a history of concussions.

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO
How many concussions is this for Toews now?

The Willie Mitchell hit in 2010.

The concussion that took him out down the stretch in 2012, which depending on who you believe, came from a hit or the car accident he was in.

The hit in the 2013 Finals kept him out for a period of Game 5.

I'm sure there have been more between that one and this latest one. I seem to remember a pretty bad hit in a game against Pittsburgh at one point too.

Guy has taken a ton of punishment over his career.
Taking a shot in the dark here… I think Jumbo took it personal seeing a young Toews raise the cup/ sweep them in 2010. He played Toews extra physical even dirty imo after that, definitely threw some cheap shots to his head sparking toews to drop the gloves with him, they may have fought twice actually. I’m pretty sure Jumbo gave him the concussion that knocked him out the one year where they played kruger, sharp, and stalberg as a line while he was out.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Last 14 game 0 goals.

So he makes up a concussion?

MM has always had it in for Toews but I don't think he meant to imply that. Did he?

I’m not sure that’s what I was just trying to clear on up

I don't know that there isn't a valid argument for LTIR this year or outright retirement. He does have a history of concussions.

I know he got rocked pretty good and may be concussed. Concussion symptoms are varied and I'm quite sure he has many of them.

He stepped away before for lesser medically diagnosed issues. This may be the time that the comeback ends.

Took a season off, gave it a training camp and half a season to see if he's still got it. He doesn't have it anymore. I'm not questioning the concussion.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I know he got rocked pretty good and may be concussed. Concussion symptoms are varied and I'm quite sure he has many of them.

He stepped away before for lesser medically diagnosed issues. This may be the time that the comeback ends.

Took a season off, gave it a training camp and half a season to see if he's still got it. He doesn't have it anymore. I'm not questioning the concussion.
Understood

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Man I dunno. He deserves to go out on his own terms for everything he's done. Would hate to see his career end like this, hopefully he recovers soon.

Recovers to what beside his health. His play has fallen off for the past few seasons. Missed an entire season. Has sucked this year and now another concussion. What exactly is he returning to play for?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So are we now going to say to Toews,after numerous concussions over his career,that hecshoukd now protect his brain health over the rest ofhisvlife,rather than risk more concussions and degenerative brain health by continuin to play?

Prudence would suggest he hangs them up.....Immmefiately!

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
He woukd becreturningvto play to cash his remaining pay owed till end of contract
..so unless he agrees to LTIR ....,or to a tradeif any team wants him even if Hawks retain 50%),then wexare stick with his cap till contract ens.

The other possibility is that he collects his bonus money on July 1st I believe ,then makes a decision to retire and leaves just $2.9 million on the table that he forfeits...I think that liwrscthe cap hit fir 2022/23 that Hawks would still need to declare ....I believe they would not count that $2.9million for cap purposes but the cap would be all the money paid to him before he retired (including bonus pais July 1st MINUS the final part he did not collect because he retires after getting the bonus Then that total amount dived by the 8 years of his deal= his cap forc2022/23 that Hawksxwoukd still have to declare.

Why woukd he forgo $2.9million ...maybe Hawks offer him a job in the organization tgat keeps his name out there including advertising opportunities he can cash in on over a long perjodbofvtone?

If he refuses to help the Hawks on cap tgat way tgen the LTIR scenario holds as the route to collect all his lost and the Hawks use LTIR to add player contracts and manage a fulkcapnifctheycwsntvto ..though it is easier if he retired early than fiddling with the LTIR and the timings invilved to get its use right.

Tgecfact usxwe are at a crossroads with Toews...both health-wise on risking further brain damage if he receives even more concussions, and in terms of hardly useful impact to winning games a ymore(fall i n production and in energy needed for elite defending....All he still excels at is fsceoffs ...do we want him around or the sooner off tgectesm the quicker we movebon with replacement for all or part of his 10.5. With sone pkayer or 2 players that can infkuencevteam success once acquired more than keeping Toews woukd for nextcsesdon.

The decision what to do rests of course with Toews...

Stay and play it out till end 2022/23 ....or just till gets bonus for final year then retires...or goes LTIRcand never pkaysxagain but insurance pays him his money anyway for thisevon LTIR.

If the Hawks offer hom some organizational job,if hexwabtsctgat,then maybe that influences which of the paths he chooses going forward because they cannot give him any such job until he actualky retires from playing.

Maybe a job as an assistant GM learning the roles as basically an intern but it woukd keep him in hockey ...some ex Hawks went that route after retiring ..eg.Doug Wilson...Bob Murray became GMs eventually...
Doubt he eoukd take justcacscouting job ...but maybevifvtheyvsaid he must do tgst first before becoming assistant HM.

Maybe Toews wants to do other things than hockey...ifvso ...he probably goes LTIR to collect all remaining pay owed to him (paid by insurance covering the LTIR situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00