News Article: Tocchet to coach Vancouver

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
To be fair, everyone can improve and he's now had time away from coaching to reflect on what he needs to do better here on out, so he may very well do better. To be fair, there's so much he could do better on, it's hard not to think he'll have improved, but a step up from rock bottom is still essentially rock bottom.

Reactions: YotesFan47

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Did RT sign a multi year deal or just the rest of season? Sometimes when you change coaches, players play harder, so they could have a run, not sure they can make the playoffs.

At least in soccer firing the coach is the most sure way to win the next game.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
And sure enough he gets a 5-2 win
I read somewhere that Boudreau had surmised the timing (delay) likely had something to do with setting the new coach up for success against lesser opponents. Certainly not true of the Kraken who they face next, but then they host Columbus.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
It does make you wonder how he convinces people to hire him when he can't spit out a single coherent sentence in the post-game media scrum.

You start to wonder if his PowerPoint is just made up of photos of NHL power brokers in compromising positions with prostitutes or snorting lines or something like that.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
He won't last in Vancouver giving those types of post-game interviews. He was afforded anonymity in the desert, but won't happen in Canada. Fans will turn on him in a second if you can't communicate and we all know that Tocchet can't communicate.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019

Seem familiar? Lol

This is hilarious. Thanks so much for posting this.

When I had season tickets I would always turn on the post-game during the drive home, they would air some or all of Tocchet's post game pressers, they were all so, so bad. None of his answers ever made any sense (if you could even understand what he was trying to say), and he would get the most softball questions. The one that I remember forcibly sent me into the "what an idiot this guy is" camp was when we lost by a goal or two, one of the questions was something around how the 6-5 didn't generate any chances, his answer was (paraphrased), "I don't know, I don't know, we've been working on the 6-5 for years, we still don't get it right. I don't know."

And I'm thinking to myself like, "you've been working on this for years and you still can't figure out how to either overload one side or pass to the open man??? Or worst case just have Chychrun bomb shots from the point with traffic that would make sense too"

Liked him as a player but my God is he in the wrong job

Reactions: Mosby and MIGs Dog

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I think that clip doesn't really do the post game justice in this particular instance and I don't have much use for Tocchet.

Immediately after that he says "soft, you know you hate to call your team soft but it was soft tonight. We didn't participate on the wall battles"....."old habits came"...."shows tonight we got a lot of work to do"........"It's okay sometimes when you're playing a really good team to live for another shift....we kept trying to make home run plays after home run plays"

For a HC to blatantly call his team's performance soft in media isn't nothing.

Of course he has to actually follow through which history isn't too kind to his track record of.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He said he wished he had ten practices, but Tocchet set the record for worst NHL start after an entire camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad