News Article: Tocchet to coach Vancouver

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Welp, there goes our chance for Bedard...

Screen Shot 2023-01-22 at 10.14.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-22 at 10.15.52 AM.png

Full articles (you can find more):

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Welp, there goes our chance for Bedard...

View attachment 639563

View attachment 639564

Full articles (you can find more):
Canucks have a schedule against many of the poorer teams for rest of year.

Just too much talent on this team up front to truly tank. They would have had to have jettisoned players last summer to really even get into the bottom 5. They will finish closer to 10 then 5.

Reactions: Jakey53

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Canucks have a schedule against many of the poorer teams for rest of year.

Just too much talent on this team up front to truly tank. They would have had to have jettisoned players last summer to really even get into the bottom 5. They will finish closer to 10 then 5.

Yeah I don't disagree (my Bedard comment above was not serious). Either way I feel like that team is managed really poorly -- aside from their old GM making too many desperation moves, their new GM comes in and publicly says, "this roster needs major surgery"...

So what does he do? He fires the coach, who is inarguably one of the better coaches in the NHL. So he can hire Rick Tocchet.

:huh:

Reactions: Nowotny

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Yeah I don't disagree (my Bedard comment above was not serious). Either way I feel like that team is managed really poorly -- aside from their old GM making too many desperation moves, their new GM comes in and publicly says, "this roster needs major surgery"...

So what does he do? He fires the coach, who is inarguably one of the better coaches in the NHL. So he can hire Rick Tocchet.

:huh:
Pittsburgh gonna Pittsburgh. That’s the Tocchet connection. Except no Malkin and Crosby.

What can they do? In a flat cap the answer is nothing. U have to lose a trade to get cap flexibility and the teams that could do that don’t want to because it hurts their tank for Bedard. I would gladly give picks (similar to Geekie deal) from upcoming drafts to get Horvat. Just not this year and even then i’m probably speaking out of school because we likely are going to hold tight on cap commitments to give us a shot in event Matthews hits market.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Canucks are 14 pts from a playoff spot and 9 pts from last place. What do they hope to achieve with this shakeup?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Canucks are 14 pts from a playoff spot and 9 pts from last place. What do they hope to achieve with this shakeup?
If you've watched their management in action for last few weeks you would know they have no plan and even less goals. Actually go back a season and it's the same answer.

Reactions: Nowotny

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Did RT sign a multi year deal or just the rest of season? Sometimes when you change coaches, players play harder, so they could have a run, not sure they can make the playoffs.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Gotta think OEL and Garland were asked for their opinion on Tocchett beforehand, right?!
No. One is a boat anchor healthy scratch and the other is rumored to be offered around the league for whatever they can get to dump him.

Tocchet's interviews must be amazing, because his head coach resume sux. Getting way too much credit for his reputation as a player and as an assistant in PIT.
It’s all about personal connections. JR was in PIT.

Reactions: SniperHF

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Gotta think OEL and Garland were asked for their opinion on Tocchett beforehand, right?!

Probably not. After seeing how they treated Boudreau, Vancouver management doesn't appear competent.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
No. One is a boat anchor healthy scratch and the other is rumored to be offered around the league for whatever they can get to dump him.

It’s all about personal connections. JR was in PIT.
Seems silly not to take the opportunity to ask them some questions about what he's like in the Lockeroom, how he runs his practices, etc.

Probably not. After seeing how they treated Boudreau, Vancouver management doesn't appear competent.
Ain't that the truth!

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
This management group didn’t bring them in and doesn’t want them around, though.
Yeah, but getting their first hand information doesn't have anything to do with if their wanted around or not, does it? I would at least say "tell me about Rick Tocchet as a coach? What are his practices like? Did the players like him?

Thay type of stuff. Not "how do you feel about playing for him again?"

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Seems silly not to take the opportunity to ask them some questions about what he's like in the Lockeroom, how he runs his practices, etc.

Ain't that the truth!
They are trying hard to get OeL to waive his NTC to allow him to go anywhere and not just Boston. Whatever they can do to push him out the door is the preferred option by this management team.

Reactions: Kai Yo T

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, but getting their first hand information doesn't have anything to do with if their wanted around or not, does it? I would at least say "tell me about Rick Tocchet as a coach? What are his practices like? Did the players like him?

Thay type of stuff. Not "how do you feel about playing for him again?"
Tocchet literally worked for them in Pittsburgh. They know him already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad