News Article: Tocchet to coach Vancouver

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Yeah, but getting their first hand information doesn't have anything to do with if their wanted around or not, does it? I would at least say "tell me about Rick Tocchet as a coach? What are his practices like? Did the players like him?

Thay type of stuff. Not "how do you feel about playing for him again?"
I think if they valued them as players they’d value their assessment of Tocchet’s ability as a coach. Since they don’t value them as players, I think they don’t value their input.

Like any other job. As a sales vp - You wouldn’t ask a couple of reps on performance action plans for their opinion on the new sales manager when you just fired their last manager and we’re waiting to push them out too. Even if they worked for you pick previously.

Really? Ok. I didn't realize that.
Sorry. When I said JR before I meant Rutherford.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I think if they valued them as players they’d value their assessment of Tocchet’s ability as a coach. Since they don’t value them as players, I think they don’t value their input.

Like any other job. As a sales vp - You wouldn’t ask a couple of reps on performance action plans for their opinion on the new sales manager when you just fired their last manager and we’re waiting to push them out too. Even if they worked for you pick previously.

Sorry. When I said JR before I meant Rutherford.
I saw someone post something something about PIT farther back in the thread and I was wondering wth they we're talking about lol.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Tocchet will spark the team. They’ll hit a hot streak and miss the playoffs while ruining their draft chances. Management will again be dupe into buying the fools gold and fail to rebuild yet again. And next season will AGAIN be a disaster. Rinse and repeat.
Didn't Tocchet's stint here start with an 18 game losing streak? I don't know if a spark is happening haha

LosPollosHermanos

Jan 29, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
Boy, has OEL's game fallen off a cliff. He is nothing at this point. I've never liked Garland, I think Midget Man is super overrated and never shows up when it counts the most. RT is the worst coach in NHL history.
This is a funny day. WTF is going on in Vancouver

rt

May 13, 2004
Didn't Tocchet's stint here start with an 18 game losing streak? I don't know if a spark is happening haha
This is the same team that got hit for Bruce There It Is a year ago. More veterans more talent more capable than what Tocchet had that first season here, I think. But it’s not a good composition and there at lots of problems I think.

It’s more of a gut prediction and I don’t really know. Would be funny though. They deserve it.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Does anyone miss Tocchet as our head coach?

We've had a multitude of debates regarding Dave Tippett. However, it seems unanimous that coyotes fans have a disdain for Tocchet as a head coach.
My complaint with Tocchet is he always tried to coach the team he wanted instead of the one he had. Never adjusted his “system” to account that the Coyotes didn’t have a Crosby or Malkin to carry play and the general lack of talent on the squad.

IceColdOx

Jan 29, 2019
Watertown, NY
Hope he knows he's walking into a hornets nest. Canucks' brass bungled the whole transition. Bruce didn't deserve how he was ushered out. I know Boudreau will land on his feet.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Boy, has OEL's game fallen off a cliff. He is nothing at this point. I've never liked Garland, I think Midget Man is super overrated and never shows up when it counts the most. RT is the worst coach in NHL history.
This is a funny day. WTF is going on in Vancouver
Let me introduce you to old garden gloves Ron Rolston as a counter!!!!

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Wow I can't believe Tocchet landed another HC gig. He literally made all of our players perform worse. I'm stunned.

I'll never get over Ron Francis picking Hakstol instead of his 'in demand' buddy Tocchet for the Seattle job. Absolutely hilarious.

Tocchet won't be able to hide in a Canadian market. But they'll give him years to blow up the roster.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
He lost me when he started getting belligerent in his post-loss pressers and smugly answering “I don’t know” to softball AZ media questions.

The team lost me when the FO left him in the job for another season after that shower.

Reactions: PainForShane

che

Jan 6, 2018
Gothenburg
Rick Tocchet f***in sucks.

Prediction...

- Coach Tocchet, we've been hearing a lot about you preaching accountability and telling the players to be more sticky out there. Tonight the team suffered its tenth consecutive loss. What happened tonight?
- Uhhmm, you know... It's aa... I don't know. We were too... I don't know

He sucks and the only team I wish he'd coach is the Kings.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
It seems like a tough situation for any coach, with that roster and following an experienced coach in BB. Maybe Rt will catch lightening in a bottle and the team will improve under him. In 4 years in AZ, the team never over achieved except for a few stretches of very hot goal tending. Maybe the third time is the charm, but I doubt it.

Reactions: PainForShane

rt

May 13, 2004
He lost me when he started getting belligerent in his post-loss pressers and smugly answering “I don’t know” to softball AZ media questions.

The team lost me when the FO left him in the job for another season after that shower.
100% - I totally agree. It’s not going to be easy to watch him deal with Vancouver media when things are tough. He couldn’t handle even this environment. I think their media is going to get pretty tired of him pretty quick, too. He’s never been able to express himself effectively in interviews as a coach. And by not effectively, I mean he’s terrible at it. “Uh uh I don’t know, ya know?”

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Hope he knows he's walking into a hornets nest. Canucks' brass bungled the whole transition. Bruce didn't deserve how he was ushered out. I know Boudreau will land on his feet.
Beggars can't be choosers.

rt

May 13, 2004
It seems like a tough situation for any coach, with that roster and following an experienced coach in BB. Maybe Rt will catch lightening in a bottle and the team will improve under him. In 4 years in AZ, the team never over achieved except for a few stretches of very hot goal tending. Maybe the third time is the charm, but I doubt it.
These changes usually come with a brief boost in performance momentum.

But this case is so strange. It’s not like last year. Green had been there a while and got stale. He lost the room and guys were ready for a change. They brought in the ultimate players coach. A coach the guys just love and a guy who lets them just play.

But this is different. BB wasn’t there very long. And it seems to the guys still liked him and just felt sorry for him and how he was being treated. I dont think Tocchet is going to be a breath of fresh air. And he’s not the tough guy or X & 0 guy that’s going to light a fire under them or whip them into shape. He’s really just a much worse version of Boudreau. If they were bringing in a Babcock or Torts type. then it would make sense.

Maybe the guys will just be glad to have the dark cloud of the who Management/coaching drama behind them and play better because of that? Maybe they hate Rutherford now and they can use that as motivation? I don’t know. Seems flimsy. Seems destined to fail.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad