Proposal: TML & NJD

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
1.2. But it works out the same. The leafs could in theory spend 81.5 flat. If a player gets injured they get an emergency call up. They do not go short handed. That was originally reported but it’s not true. You can call up a player as long as they are a small salary.

that does not make any sense. Show me where that is in the cba! Teams in the past who were up against the cap due to injuries had to play with a shorthanded roster. (Chicago as an example).

Plague of short-term injuries puts Blackhawks in bizarre, unfortunate roster and salary cap situation

where is Kessel’s caphit?

as you can see this is inconceivable!

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
that does not make any sense. Show me where that is in the cba! Teams in the past who were up against the cap due to injuries had to play with a shorthanded roster. (Chicago as an example).

Plague of short-term injuries puts Blackhawks in bizarre, unfortunate roster and salary cap situation

There is a provision in the CBA that allows teams to call up players making at or close to the league min and it doesn’t affect their cap situation. It was a rule created after the Flames had a situation where they weren’t playing with a full roster.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
View attachment 343574

here is the best I came up with.

1.) trade all of kappy/dermott/AJ and kerfoot for a 3C that makes less than 2 and prospects. This one has a 7th D able to fit.

I picked a retained Zacha, but I mean we could use jankowski/Dickinson/ or try to get a 3C on cheap in UFA (brassard/Thornton) etc.

I just used goat/agastino to fill in gaps but we could also use other cheap players
I’d like to know what your giving up to get a retained 23 year old complete hockey player that is a very effective PKer can play the PP, C and LW has a responsible two way game and is finally breaking out given opportunity and put up 14 points in his last 20 games last year and can put up 50 points next year because he’s finally given an opportunity to build chemistry with offensive players. For two years at 1.25 million and still an RFA after that.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Juno it can be done but would be brutally tight. What happens if Alex P has 24 flu in Edmonton and can't go 2 hours before the game. If Bracco is going off for Marlies you can't send down Gauthier and make it under the cap. But it theory you can make the cap. Now should you? Probably not.

And if moves were done you can kiss Andersen good bye because he isn't resigning at 5m after 2021.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Juno it can be done but would be brutally tight. What happens if Alex P has 24 flu in Edmonton and can't go 2 hours before the game. If Bracco is going off for Marlies you can't send down Gauthier and make it under the cap. But it theory you can make the cap. Now should you? Probably not.

And if moves were done you can kiss Andersen good bye because he isn't resigning at 5m after 2021.

its pretty irresponsible as sudden injuries are common.

When i do the math, i still don’t see it working as I think he left out Kessel’s caphit. Plus, no way Pietrangelo takes a paycut as a ufa.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

they changed the rule. It was confirmed about 100 times on radio by mckenzie etc.

The leafs already did this this whole year. They were 10 million into LTIR with a min roster. That’s why they signed Aberg etc. The leafs bought the guy who wrote the CBA. They know the rules.

Kessels 1.2 is already counted automatically in cap friendly. Do the math yourself to confirm.

edit. I don’t think this is the likely scenario. I think the most likely is to try to get a 5 million ufa. But it is absolutely possible at 9.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flyer lurker

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I’d like to know what your giving up to get a retained 23 year old complete hockey player that is a very effective PKer can play the PP, C and LW has a responsible two way game and is finally breaking out given opportunity and put up 14 points in his last 20 games last year and can put up 50 points next year because he’s finally given an opportunity to build chemistry with offensive players. For two years at 1.25 million and still an RFA after that.

kapanen and dermott.

your welcome

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
they changed the rule. It was confirmed about 100 times on radio by mckenzie etc.

The leafs already did this this whole year. They were 10 million into LTIR with a min roster. That’s why they signed Aberg etc. The leafs bought the guy who wrote the CBA. They know the rules.

Kessels 1.2 is already counted automatically in cap friendly. Do the math

It doesn't make sense. You have Engvall on the 2nd line. Your 3rd/4th lines are god awful. You magically got Pieterangelo at a discount. You have the bare minimum for a roster and would inevitably be shorthanded at times in the season when players go down on injury/sickness on the day of the game.

No GM is dumb enough to field that roster and provide no backup / security.

Its inconceivable.

You are a worse team that you are now!

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
It doesn't make sense. You have Engvall on the 2nd line. Your 3rd/4th lines are god awful. You magically got Pieterangelo at a discount. You have the bare minimum for a roster and would inevitably be shorthanded at times in the season when players go down on injury/sickness on the day of the game.

No GM is dumb enough to field that roster and provide no backup / security.

Its inconceivable.

You are a worse team that you are now!

1.) you can switch the lines? If that’s the first thing u think. You are clearly wrong

2.) they clearly want Barabonov to play. He didn’t come to go on the 4th line. But sure that could be an issue.

3.) the 4th line is a placeholder line. The wingers could be whatever hometown boy is dying to. Come play here... we sign a bunch every year. Our 4th plays 6-8 a night.

4.) sure if Petro can get 11. Of course it’s not working under this scheme. The leafs IF they want him that bad could just trade willy for a haul. But the idea that teams that are losing money can afford to pay tons to a UFA when there may be no fans and teams are already losing money.

We will see on that one

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
1.) you can switch the lines? If that’s the first thing u think. You are clearly wrong

2.) they clearly want Barabonov to play. He didn’t come to go on the 4th line. But sure that could be an issue.

3.) the 4th line is a placeholder line. The wingers could be whatever hometown boy is dying to. Come play here... we sign a bunch every year. Our 4th plays 6-8 a night.

4.) sure if Petro can get 11. Of course it’s not working under this scheme. The leafs IF they want him that bad could just trade willy for a haul. But the idea that teams that are losing money can afford to pay tons to a UFA when there may be no fans and teams are already losing money.

We will see on that one

what stops the Blues from trading Dunn with a capdump to re-sign Pietrangelo at this generous 9M caphit?

It makes little sense to weaken your forwards significantly and handcuff the roster for a dman.
It’s inconceivable and a pipedream.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
what stops the Blues from trading Dunn with a capdump to re-sign Pietrangelo at this generous 9M caphit?

nothing? They could do that. They very easily may do that. They just have done everything In their power to look like they are doing the opposite for some reason. Maybe it’s their master plan.

Heck I hope it is. I would rather him stay west than go to like Boston. It just doesn’t seem likely. He said all options will be considered so he seeems to want to go to. UFA.

edit. Also. They wont be short handed for more than 1 game MAX. The leafs AHL team is in Toronto. They have a private plane and more money than god. They flew marner to Arizona to be an emotional support puppy when babcock got fired.

they can easily get any player anywhere they need to go. They even have an airport literally 5 min from the arena. The farthest they would have to fly is 5 hours. With a 3 hour time difference. So what. 1 west trip a year they are vulnerable for? In the crazy event someone magically become injured at noon? They literally went a whole year like this. The leafs had no money. Min roster AND we’re in LTIR.

by the deadline they had enough space to retain on Lehner for a pick.

they would be fine. Easily at 20 man roster it’s already been proven

Last edited:

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Toronto Maple Leafs - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Unbiased, this is cap friendly up to date. (I am assuming cap 81.5m. Other sites have not updated and have cap to too high) I have seen websites also not update Holl at 2m a year so check on that.-Spotrac is garbage and has 86m projected cap still.

It lists Leafs at 76.9m 9 forwards signed 6 defensemen signed. Dermott unsigned as RFA.

I always add on Barabonov at 925k. for 77.8m. 10 forwards signed.
Add 2 forwards combined 1.8m.
That is 79.6m.

If Dermott wants more than 1.8-1.9m you can't make cap right now before any free agents.

Alex P. I'll be generous at aav of 9m. Say you subtract Kerfoot, Kap, and AJ off the books. That is 9.7m. Minus 2.7m of 900k replacements and that 7m difference still can't get AP. Minus Dermott as well and you might squeeze it in. Close enough for this exercise.

It can be done, but is it worth it to be done. Keeping Kap adding Brodie subtracting AJ and Kerfoot feels like better option.

Feel free to discuss.
My initial thought is getting Petro adds the one piece the leafs always needed he can play 30 min a night in the playoffs being the shut down guy on a offensive juggernaut. The leafs have so many wingers in the system who can replace players like Johnsson and Kerfoot. Dermott and Kappanen are tough losses but I feel like Petro would be worth it. Not to mention moving those 4 would bring in more youth. Roberson is looking like a stud and eventually the cap will increase allowing depth to be signed. The best option tho may be to trade Nylander for a ELC replacement.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
View attachment 343574

here is the best I came up with.

1.) trade all of kappy/dermott/AJ and kerfoot for a 3C that makes less than 2 and prospects. This one has a 7th D able to fit.

I picked a retained Zacha, but I mean we could use jankowski/Dickinson/ or try to get a 3C on cheap in UFA (brassard/Thornton) etc.

I just used goat/agastino to fill in gaps but we could also use other cheap players
Very solid line up only thing is Sandin and Lilijgren is a very young pairing.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
nothing? They could do that. They very easily may do that. They just have done everything In their power to look like they are doing the opposite for some reason. Maybe it’s their master plan.

Heck I hope it is. I would rather him stay west than go to like Boston. It just doesn’t seem likely. He said all options will be considered so he seeems to want to go to. UFA.

edit. Also. They wont be short handed for more than 1 game MAX. The leafs AHL team is in Toronto. They have a private plane and more money than god. They flew marner to Arizona to be an emotional support puppy when babcock got fired.

they can easily get any player anywhere they need to go. They even have an airport literally 5 min from the arena. The farthest they would have to fly is 5 hours. With a 3 hour time difference. So what. 1 west trip a year they are vulnerable for? In the crazy event someone magically become injured at noon? They literally went a whole year like this. The leafs had no money. Min roster AND we’re in LTIR.

by the deadline they had enough space to retain on Lehner for a pick.

they would be fine. Easily at 20 man roster it’s already been proven

that’s ridiculous. The ahl team travels too... But carry on with the pipedream.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Very solid line up only thing is Sandin and Lilijgren is a very young pairing.

Yep. They could do Rosen. Or marincin. Or any other player they can sign for league min.

there may be a lot this year. Who knows. But IF the leafs went this route.

Matthews
Tavares
Marner
Nylander
Hyman
Mikaheyev
Spezza

Rielly
Petro
Muzzin
holl
Sandin

Andersen
Campbell

is a solid core.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
that’s ridiculous. The ahl team travels too... But carry on with the pipedream.

Yep. They do. By bus. With about 80% of games in the east. The private plane can fly anywhere they want. It’s crazy how that works.

They literally did this all last year. With NO accrued space. With injuries to

marner. Tavares. Johnson. Mikaheyev Hyman. Dermott. Rielly. Ceci. Muzzin. Andersen

With money to spare.

feel free to carry on with your obsession. The leafs can easily do this. They already proved it and laughed when reporters questioned it last year.

I enjoy your obsession though

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Yep. They do. By bus. With about 80% of games in the east.

They literally did this all last year. With NO accrued space. With injuries to

marner. Tavares. Johnson. Mikaheyev Hyman. Dermott. Rielly. Ceci. Muzzin. Andersen

With money to spare.

feel free to carry on with your obsession. The leafs can easily do this. They already proved it and laughed when reporters questioned it last year.

I enjoy your obsession though

my obsession is trying to knock sense into those who have no concept of reality. You are going to be mightily disappointed when your bubble bursts.

but i will be here to lend a shoulder to mop up your tears.... poor little guy.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Yep. They could do Rosen. Or marincin. Or any other player they can sign for league min.

there may be a lot this year. Who knows. But IF the leafs went this route.

Matthews
Tavares
Marner
Nylander
Hyman
Mikaheyev
Spezza

Rielly
Petro
Muzzin
holl
Sandin

Andersen
Campbell

is a solid core.
I feel after Much thought moving Nylander for an ELC player would be the best Option. Something around Nylander for Frost,Steel, Zandina, Farabee, Dobson, or Thomas comes to mind.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
my obsession is trying to knock sense into those who have no concept of reality. You are going to be mightily disappointed when your bubble bursts.

but i will be here to lend a shoulder to mop up your tears.... poor little guy.

? Reality that it absolutely could be done at that number?

When you actually quoted a 5 year old precedent that is wrong? When Toronto actually ran a 20 man roster all season with zero issues?

Sure. You were completely wrong and now are trying to backtrack it. Toronto can and has run a 20 man roster and is able to get players anywhere in the NHL in hours. It’s been proven.

I don’t think this is going to happen. I don’t really want it to happen myself. But it absolutely could. Easily. If Petro wants to come home. The leafs can easily make it work. Just like every other time we were told they couldn’t

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
? Reality that it absolutely could be done at that number?

When you actually quoted a 5 year old precedent that is wrong? When Toronto actually ran a 20 man roster all season with zero issues?

Sure. You were completely wrong and now are trying to backtrack it. Toronto can and has run a 20 man roster and is able to get players anywhere in the NHL in hours. It’s been proven.

I don’t think this is going to happen. I don’t really want it to happen myself. But it absolutely could. Easily. If Petro wants to come home. The leafs can easily make it work. Just like every other time we were told they couldn’t

Sounds like you believe this could happen. That makes you completely foolish. Do you always obsess about the completely implausible??? If so why?

Its totally unrealistic and the fact you don’t see that is stunning and not worthy of debating further.

kinda sad.

enjoy your pipedream!! :)

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
My initial thought is getting Petro adds the one piece the leafs always needed he can play 30 min a night in the playoffs being the shut down guy on a offensive juggernaut. The leafs have so many wingers in the system who can replace players like Johnsson and Kerfoot. Dermott and Kappanen are tough losses but I feel like Petro would be worth it. Not to mention moving those 4 would bring in more youth. Roberson is looking like a stud and eventually the cap will increase allowing depth to be signed. The best option tho may be to trade Nylander for a ELC replacement.
Unbiased appreciate the response. Even if we disagree, you have not been disagreeable.

(the letting aj, kap, foot, dermott go theory) Let me state if you have troubles fighting the cap currently with 4 players making 40m and 7 players making 56m, imagine changing that to 5 players 50m and 8 player 66m. 12 players making 15.5m for rest of roster is recipe for trouble. With signing AP, Andersen would have no shot to return after 2021 so what are the long term goalie plans? Can you put out a 3rd-4th line capable of competing with a Cirelli line for TBL as example? It might make team better 20-21 but long term assuming cap is stagnant it feel like permanent cap hades.

(Trading Nylander plus other 3m players theory) This is the better strategy but it takes Dubas to pick the right player back on their elc to make this work. The 64k question is who has cap room and young elc players to make this work. Would Montreal give up Nick Suzuki for example? Do Rangers give up Kakko plus? It can work. But it can also blow up.

Edit: Flyers wouldn't have cap space to add the 6m in salary UNLESS there is a compliance buy out and JVR went bye bye. Frost/Farabee fairly unlikely

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Unbiased appreciate the response. Even if we disagree, you have not been disagreeable.

(the letting aj, kap, foot, dermott go theory) Let me state if you have troubles fighting the cap currently with 4 players making 40m and 7 players making 56m, imagine changing that to 5 players 50m and 8 player 66m. 12 players making 15.5m for rest of roster is recipe for trouble. With signing AP, Andersen would have no shot to return after 2021 so what are the long term goalie plans? Can you put out a 3rd-4th line capable of competing with a Cirelli line for TBL as example? It might make team better 20-21 but long term assuming cap is stagnant it feel like permanent cap hades.

(Trading Nylander plus other 3m players theory) This is the better strategy but it takes Dubas to pick the right player back on their elc to make this work. The 64k question is who has cap room and young elc players to make this work. Would Montreal give up Nick Suzuki for example? Do Rangers give up Kakko plus? It can work. But it can also blow up.

Edit: Flyers wouldn't have cap space to add the 6m in salary UNLESS there is a compliance buy out and JVR went bye bye. Frost/Farabee fairly unlikely
Wow if the leafs could get Kakko for Nylander I’d cry would be a beautiful haul. I was always against given goalies big contracts there is always cheap goalies out there that’s are very serviceable goalies out there. Hopefully Campbell can be a starter. Woll could step up. Chicago won with not so elite goaltending and Andersson hasn’t exactly been great in playoffs. I’d be welcome to a change.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

In this scenario the leafs would lose Hyman. 32 year old goalie in a crisis after the bob/price debacles are unlikely. I think Freddie would get 5 or walk.......

hyman would be the one who needed the raise

Petro would have been more realistic if the cap was as projected to increase per year. If they keep it flat to claw back revenue it would be a mistake IMO

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Sounds like you believe this could happen. That makes you completely foolish. Do you always obsess about the completely implausible??? If so why?

Its totally unrealistic and the fact you don’t see that is stunning and not worthy of debating further.

kinda sad.

enjoy your pipedream!! :)

obsession about a team you don’t even cheer for to try to prove something you were horrifically wrong about.....:

enjoy your obsession. Feel free to move on about being wrong about something. Else

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad