Proposal: TML & NJD

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
That is with moving Kerfoot and AJ. Zacha would be our 3C. Look into CapFriendly to try and work it out. Not gonna happen.
Move Kappanen, Kerfoot and Dermott. Spezza at 700k as 3C and Brooks as 4th C. Sign Petro to a 10 million contract and that still leaves 3 million in space. Hurts the depth short term but Petro helps out more. Maybe move Nylander for a cheap vet with retention and an Nhl ready ELC player like Steel for an example. They can make the cap work.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Move Kappanen, Kerfoot and Dermott. Spezza at 700k as 3C and Brooks as 4th C. Sign Petro to a 10 million contract and that still leaves 3 million in space. Hurts the depth short term but Petro helps out more. Maybe move Nylander for a cheap vet with retention and an Nhl ready ELC player like Steel for an example. They can make the cap work.
Toronto Maple Leafs - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Please view the cap listing if you don't trust the numbers.
So lets include Barabonov on roster. That is 77.825 spent 10 forward signed.
No Kap Kerfoot and Dermott you have 71.125m on the roster. (dermott rfa not included on cap friendly salary for 20-21)
Sign AP for 10m
Congrats you are at 81.125m. 375k under the cap.
By the way
YOU ONLY HAVE EIGHT SIGNED FORWARD AND NEED FOUR MORE!
You can't even afford Spezza in your scenerio.
Are you planning on playing Matthews 34 minutes a night?
Love home town logic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Funk21

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto

So Dump Kap, perhaps Nylander and throw a 38 year old Spezza as our 3C for one more year and commit another 10 million to one player....

Anybody and I mean anybody get hurt and our depth is gone and it’s a wasted year. Sorry but o strongly disagree with an idea like this. Especially when we are already getting reporting that the cap is likely flat next year and potentially the year after.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
So Dump Kap, perhaps Nylander and throw a 38 year old Spezza as our 3C for one more year and commit another 10 million to one player....

Anybody and I mean anybody get hurt and our depth is gone and it’s a wasted year. Sorry but o strongly disagree with an idea like this. Especially when we are already getting reporting that the cap is likely flat next year and potentially the year after.
Trade Kap for the highest draft pick they can . Gives the leafs a 11 mil in cap. Package Dermott and Kerfoot for another pick and that gives the leafs almost 15 million in space. You can sign Petro, Mikheyev and Spezza and still have room to add another piece.

Johnsson-Mathews-Marner
Hyman-Tavares-Nylander
Engvall-Spezza-Mikheyev
Barbonov-Gauthier-Korshkov

Rielly-Pietrangelo
Muzzin-Lilijgren
Sandin-Holl

Andersson
Campbell

Yeah I know Lilijgren on second pairing and the Centre depth is hopeful maybe Brook could step up or Trade Nylander for a player like Rakel with retentions and ask for 3C On ELC like Steel. Not sure if that would entice the ducks but it’d allow the leafs to keep Kappy.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Please view the cap listing if you don't trust the numbers.
So lets include Barabonov on roster. That is 77.825 spent 10 forward signed.
No Kap Kerfoot and Dermott you have 71.125m on the roster. (dermott rfa not included on cap friendly salary for 20-21)
Sign AP for 10m
Congrats you are at 81.125m. 375k under the cap.
By the way
YOU ONLY HAVE EIGHT SIGNED FORWARD AND NEED FOUR MORE!
You can't even afford Spezza in your scenerio.
Are you planning on playing Matthews 34 minutes a night?
Love home town logic.

considering your obsession. I’m. Assuming Toronto is your hometown?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Zacha also had a decent end to his season. He is young and has size. He has also played on some brutal teams. I think he will flourish especially with the wingers he would be playing with.

I have said this many times if we view Sandin as the stronger prospect we don’t have space on our left side. If we trade Kerfoot we have 4-5 million to finally get our first pairing RHD to play with Reilly.

Your logic is fair - but i gues sim just not all that enamored with Zacha

I do suspect that one of Dermott or Sandin gets shifted over to the right side at some point, at least as an experiment. Both guys played a bit there as Marlies

Last edited:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
It's not awful and I wouldn't be totally upset as a Devils fan, but I'd prefer to keep Zacha. Zajac has one year left and then he's presumably the 3C behind Hischier-Hughes. If he puts it together, he could be a quality versatile forward who can play 3C and also fill in one either wing in the top six.

If the Devils were to trade Zacha, I think Devils should look to package him with a couple more pieces for a top pairing defender. If he starts strong next year, he could be a very valuable trade asset at his cap hit and could help us pursue a top defender.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
You just have to refute posts are dead wrong sometimes. All you have to is look at cap friendly and it takes no more than 2 minutes. Before moves are made either one of the 3 million dollar player or Dermott have to go to make the cap before you do anything else. Maybe fans are forgetting Muzzin and Campbell raises. Got me. From there you have to make room for 8-10 million dollars to fit Alex P. Sorry if facts are misinterpreted as Leaf lover/hater.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Trade Kap for the highest draft pick they can . Gives the leafs a 11 mil in cap. Package Dermott and Kerfoot for another pick and that gives the leafs almost 15 million in space. You can sign Petro, Mikheyev and Spezza and still have room to add another piece.

Johnsson-Mathews-Marner
Hyman-Tavares-Nylander
Engvall-Spezza-Mikheyev
Barbonov-Gauthier-Korshkov

Rielly-Pietrangelo
Muzzin-Lilijgren
Sandin-Holl

Andersson
Campbell

Yeah I know Lilijgren on second pairing and the Centre depth is hopeful maybe Brook could step up or Trade Nylander for a player like Rakel with retentions and ask for 3C On ELC like Steel. Not sure if that would entice the ducks but it’d allow the leafs to keep Kappy.

Look the numbers don’t add up unless Nylander is gone plain and simple. Stop using your head because you clearly can’t add. Now if Nylander was traded to the ducks for a player like Rakell then sure but then you have only two cracks with him before he is a UFA and wanting a massive increase in salary. Not to mention you need to resign, Mikheyev, Hyman, Reilly, and Andersen:

5879F89C-69C8-45DF-995F-1108E69F2B10.png

Your plan has failed before it even started.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Look the numbers don’t add up unless Nylander is gone plain and simple. Stop using your head because you clearly can’t add. Now if Nylander was traded to the ducks for a player like Rakell then sure but then you have only two cracks with him before he is a UFA and wanting a massive increase in salary. Not to mention you need to resign, Mikheyev, Hyman, Reilly, and Andersen:

View attachment 343560

Silly Funk21 letting facts get in the way of a good rant!

Reactions: Funk21

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

View attachment 343560

what to fit in Petro? What are the parameters. I have shown it can be done at 9 mill with keeping the big 4.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
what to fit in Petro? What are the parameters. I have shown it can be done at 9 mill with keeping the big 4.

To fit in AP someone over 5m has to go unless you are going no depth.

Otherwise you have to trade Kap, AJ, Dermott, and Kerfoot and only add picks/elc contracts back. TB's second line would eat that depth alive come playoff time.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
To fit in AP someone over 5m has to go unless you are going no depth.

Otherwise you have to trade Kap, AJ, Dermott, and Kerfoot and only add picks/elc contracts back. TB's second line would eat that depth alive come playoff time.

it’s personally not my idea that Petro is our best option.
1.) there will be many UFA that could play second fiddle to rielly. Probably at 5 or under. Which would be our budget.

tanev/brodie/demelo/Braun etc.

We also don’t know what teams will want to shed salary due to finances.

That being said. No matter what

1.) dermott would go in expansion if we got a top D. Unless it was a 1 year and extend.

2.) Johnson was already gone for most of the year and we didn’t miss a beat. We also would have Barabanov

3.) kerfoot could be replaced by a zacha etc.

the only real loss would be kapanen more than likely. we are already losing 2 of the 4 most likely.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
it’s personally not my idea that Petro is our best option.
1.) there will be many UFA that could play second fiddle to rielly. Probably at 5 or under. Which would be our budget.

tanev/brodie/demelo/Braun etc.

We also don’t know what teams will want to shed salary due to finances.

That being said. No matter what

1.) dermott would go in expansion if we got a top D. Unless it was a 1 year and extend.

2.) Johnson was already gone for most of the year and we didn’t miss a beat. We also would have Barabanov

3.) kerfoot could be replaced by a zacha etc.

the only real loss would be kapanen more than likely. we are already losing 2 of the 4 most likely.

legion34. Thank you. This is a realistic and proper way to outline what the Leafs can do. Well done. I am not trying to be a backside. Just trying to bring our realistic views.

To lose say AJ and Kerfoot, keep Kapanen and add Brodie I think can be done and is a viable plan. I have always loved Kap especially at his salary.

To loss all of Kap, AJ and Kerfoot, (maybe Dermott too)for AP is upgrade of talent for 20-21 but is a depth killer. It also puts Leafs in caps Hades for Andersen if he wants 8-9m after 21 free agency.

Regards

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019

View attachment 343560

I’m confused unless I’m wrong at the end of the season the leafs will have 7.5 million in space unless if I’m wron. Trade Kerfoot that frees up 3.5 million. So 11 million left. Trade Kappnen and that frees up 3.4 million? So that leaves the leafs with 14.4 million? Move Dermott so that’s one less player to sign. 14.4 million to sign Pietrangelo, Gauthier, Spezza and Mikheyev.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I’m confused unless I’m wrong at the end of the season the leafs will have 7.5 million in space unless if I’m wron. Trade Kerfoot that frees up 3.5 million. So 11 million left. Trade Kappnen and that frees up 3.4 million? So that leaves the leafs with 14.4 million? Move Dermott so that’s one less player to sign. 14.4 million to sign Pietrangelo, Gauthier, Spezza and Mikheyev.

you still need to replace the players you traded. Right now the Leafs have 9 forwards under contract. Add Spezza, Goat and Mik and the have 12. Subtract Kerfoot and Kap you have 10. You would need to sign another 3 forwards.

it’s not very probable

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Unbiased, this is cap friendly up to date. (I am assuming cap 81.5m. Other sites have not updated and have cap to too high) I have seen websites also not update Holl at 2m a year so check on that.-Spotrac is garbage and has 86m projected cap still.

It lists Leafs at 76.9m 9 forwards signed 6 defensemen signed. Dermott unsigned as RFA.

I always add on Barabonov at 925k. for 77.8m. 10 forwards signed.
Add 2 forwards combined 1.8m.
That is 79.6m.

If Dermott wants more than 1.8-1.9m you can't make cap right now before any free agents.

Alex P. I'll be generous at aav of 9m. Say you subtract Kerfoot, Kap, and AJ off the books. That is 9.7m. Minus 2.7m of 900k replacements and that 7m difference still can't get AP. Minus Dermott as well and you might squeeze it in. Close enough for this exercise.

It can be done, but is it worth it to be done. Keeping Kap adding Brodie subtracting AJ and Kerfoot feels like better option.

Feel free to discuss.

Last edited:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
54E42255-3544-4182-B022-3B0CAC58FD9F.jpeg

here is the best I came up with.

1.) trade all of kappy/dermott/AJ and kerfoot for a 3C that makes less than 2 and prospects. This one has a 7th D able to fit.

I picked a retained Zacha, but I mean we could use jankowski/Dickinson/ or try to get a 3C on cheap in UFA (brassard/Thornton) etc.

I just used goat/agastino to fill in gaps but we could also use other cheap players

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto

You’re wrong, not to mention the cap he’ll it puts us in.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
View attachment 343574

here is the best I came up with.

1.) trade all of kappy/dermott/AJ and kerfoot for a 3C that makes less than 2 and prospects. This one has a 7th D able to fit.

I picked a retained Zacha, but I mean we could use jankowski/Dickinson/ or try to get a 3C on cheap in UFA (brassard/Thornton) etc.

I just used goat/agastino to fill in gaps but we could also use other cheap players

Pieterangelo is getting more than 9 as a ufa. You still need an extra forward and dman to round out the team otherwise750K cap space is not enough.

where is Kessel’s caphit?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Pieterangelo is getting more than 9 as a ufa. You still need an extra forward and dman to round out the team otherwise750K cap space is not enough.

1.) the leafs will go with a 20 man roster. They did all last year. If a player gets injured and you are at the cap you get an emergency call up. For free. As long as they are cheap (minimum). That’s why toronto signs a bunch of tweeners on 1 way deals.

2.) sure. He may get 10. Heck he may get 13. It’s incredibly unlikely that given the idea of no fans broke teams will be able to pay him.9 plus. But of course if they could. Then yes. There gets to be a point where Toronto would be out

heck he could sign 15 x7 in Detroit.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
1.) the leafs will go with a 20 man roster. They did all last year. If a player gets injured and you are at the cap you get an emergency call up. For free. As long as they are cheap (minimum). That’s why toronto signs a bunch of tweeners on 1 way deals.

2.) sure. He may get 10. Heck he may get 13. It’s incredibly unlikely that given the idea of no fans broke teams will be able to pay him.9 plus. But of course if they could. Then yes. There gets to be a point where Toronto would be out

heck he could sign 15 x7 in Detroit.

you still incur a caphit for injury replacements as long as the injured player is not on ltir. So you need cap space or an extra forward/dman.

Where is Kessel’s caphit?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
you still incur a caphit for injury replacements as long as the injured player is not on ltir. So you need cap space or an extra forward/dman.

Where is Kessel’s caphit?

1.2. But it works out the same. The leafs could in theory spend 81.5 flat. If a player gets injured they get an emergency call up. They do not go short handed. That was originally reported but it’s not true. You can call up a player as long as they are a small salary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad