Proposal: TML acquiring a 1st round pick

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Is there any way a realistic combination of these peices could acquire your teams first round pick looking for around 20-31 .

Leafs didnt pick in the first round in last draft but came out with some good players later on in the draft. We also won't be picking in the first round with our pick this year due to the Marleau trade. I would like to see the leafs pick in the first round this year. These are our only realasltic movable pieces for a 1st rounder. Pretty much any marlie player is also available.

Jeremy Bracco
Andreas Johnsson
Kasperi Kapanen
Nicholas Robertson
Travis Dermott
Adam Brooks
SDA
Kerfoot
Draft picks two 6th round picks , two 7th round picks, one 4th rounder
You don't want to move Robertson. Who are you targeting in 21-30 range? You want to be sure. I have Robertson as good as most in that range and closer than most. Unless you want a d-man. Guhle I have as a big solid 3, maybe 4. Schneider? IDK it's his third year junior. Poirier I have as a wildcard, but his upside is off the chart. If you can fix his defense could have steal of draft.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
he hasn't played great this year but his style seems like it would fit well next to Rielly potentially

Not true . He started out slow but after Jan 1st he played really well . Not quite back to his playoff from but getting there . He did have a few rough years with injuries and more so the death of his dad who dead while visiting him in Edmonton .

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Is there any way a realistic combination of these peices could acquire your teams first round pick looking for around 20-31 .

Leafs didnt pick in the first round in last draft but came out with some good players later on in the draft. We also won't be picking in the first round with our pick this year due to the Marleau trade. I would like to see the leafs pick in the first round this year. These are our only realasltic movable pieces for a 1st rounder. Pretty much any marlie player is also available.

Jeremy Bracco
Andreas Johnsson
Kasperi Kapanen
Nicholas Robertson
Travis Dermott
Adam Brooks
SDA
Kerfoot
Draft picks two 6th round picks , two 7th round picks, one 4th rounder

If it were not for the expansion draft, the Avs should consider this for Kapanen. Ask again after the Seattle draft. But you're SOL for the 2020 NHL draft with a lot of teams that have their eyes on Seattle

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
If Nick Robertson was born one day later, he goes Top 15 in this Draft, so it's pretty dumb that he is even listed here. There is your 2020 1st round pick right there!

Not interested in giving up Kapanen or Dermott just to watch Dubas and co. walk up on stage to pick (might be a virtual Draft anyways). Just make a good value selection at 50 - odds are the talent gap between that pick and a late 1st is small anyways (see Robertson).

If those other players can somehow get you a 1st, then I do it.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
If Nick Robertson was born one day later, he goes Top 15 in this Draft, so it's pretty dumb that he is even listed here. There is your 2020 1st round pick right there!

Not interested in giving up Kapanen or Dermott just to watch Dubas and co. walk up on stage to pick (might be a virtual Draft anyways). Just make a good value selection at 50 - odds are the talent gap between that pick and a late 1st is small anyways (see Robertson).

If those other players can somehow get you a 1st, then I do it.

Those other players cannot somehow get you a 1st. Or a 2nd. Johnnson if healthy could (for 2021), but we'll need to wait on that and see how he bounces back.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Those other players cannot somehow get you a 1st. Or a 2nd. Johnnson if healthy could (for 2021), but we'll need to wait on that and see how he bounces back.
Johnsson and Kerfoot could each bring back some combination of early-mid picks, which may occur to create some cap room.

No interest in giving up the players needed to get a first, so the Leafs will not have a 1st this year. Instead they can make just as good of a selection from their seats at ~50 overall.

Reactions: Hitemwith4

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Johnsson and Kerfoot could each bring back some combination of early-mid picks, which may occur to create some cap room.

No interest in giving up the players needed to get a first, so the Leafs will not have a 1st this year. Instead they can make just as good of a selection from their seats at ~50 overall.

AVs don’t want a roster player they can’t protect from the draft. Picks or prospects.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
If Robertson was born one day later, he would be 2020 eligible and selected Top 15 pretty easily. He is 8 days older than Jack Quinn and scored at a better rate with less support. Leafs decline.
Fair enough, we need right shots more. It’s one of the closer offers value wise I’ve seen in this thread. If he was a RW I’d potentially offer more but after this draft he’d slot in as the 3rd line LW behind Laf and Tkachuk :)

Reactions: Duke16

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Nah I just tire of the way our players are constantly disparaged and misrepresented. I think it is more fair to say Bracco had 1 bad season as a Leaf rather than to try and paint his AHL breakout as an anomaly. Dime a dozen does not describe players who can score a point a game in the AHL. Let's see what happens next year.

First he needs to pass waiver... So his value is almost zero atm. Maybe can get a low pick for him during the summer.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If Robertson was born one day later, he would be 2020 eligible and selected Top 15 pretty easily. He is 8 days older than Jack Quinn and scored at a better rate with less support. Leafs decline.

5 days but the point stands

Reactions: Duke16

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
this is a fun thread to come back to read

Love the value some are putting on Nik Robertson and no, he wont get a mid 1st rounder unless the leafs add something else

I am no Leaf fan so taking their side on this is not me being a homer . Robertson has done nothing but raise his stock this year . He went from 15 to 27 to 55 goals in each of his OHL season . On top of that he played less games in each season so trending in the right direction . Late 1st usually get you a player that has fallen do to poor production or injuries . I value a player that has improved every season over a player that has fallen .

Leaf got a steal drafting him 53 over all . Fans maybe concern about his size but if fly weight Yamamoto can excel in the NHL so can Robertson . Leafs will not sell low on the kid just because they drafted him late 2nd round .

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Regarding Bracco, I wouldn't judge him, based on what happened last year. Something happened last year, that resulted in him taking a personal leave. There hasn't been so much as a whisper as to why, whether it's personal physical, or mental health issues, or someone in his family. I'm not suggesting that he's going to be a NHL player, or making any prognosis, but last year isn't what I'd judge him on. Yes, he's not getting younger, and he has flaws in his game, but what he's good at, he's very good at. If he can improve the balance of his game, moreso on the defensive side, he'll play in the NHL at some point. This coming year, will be a make, or break year for him. I don't think he's got much value in a trade though, certainly not a first.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Regarding Bracco, I wouldn't judge him, based on what happened last year. Something happened last year, that resulted in him taking a personal leave. There hasn't been so much as a whisper as to why, whether it's personal physical, or mental health issues, or someone in his family. I'm not suggesting that he's going to be a NHL player, or making any prognosis, but last year isn't what I'd judge him on. Yes, he's not getting younger, and he has flaws in his game, but what he's good at, he's very good at. If he can improve the balance of his game, moreso on the defensive side, he'll play in the NHL at some point. This coming year, will be a make, or break year for him. I don't think he's got much value in a trade though, certainly not a first.

he has very little value. 4th round pick or less.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
he has very little value. 4th round pick or less.

Outside of moving him, as a favour for him, he's a guy you can't trade. If whatever the problem was gets resolved, and he grows his game, he's worth far more to the Leafs, than a fourth. If I were another team, at this point... I'd fully agree with you, just a box of unknowns, as to what happened, why, and just too one dimensional so far, to pay much for. He's an elite passer though... but not much of anything else. His game was rounding out this year a bit, but he didn't have the guys to put the puck in the net and setup, and then whatever the issues that had his leave of absence.... I think he starts with the Marlies, and then the rest is up to him. He either shows more, or is worth considerably less than the 4th you suggest... He'd just be a good AHL player at that point, so that's probably what you'd move him for, someone else's AHL player.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Outside of moving him, as a favour for him, he's a guy you can't trade. If whatever the problem was gets resolved, and he grows his game, he's worth far more to the Leafs, than a fourth. If I were another team, at this point... I'd fully agree with you, just a box of unknowns, as to what happened, why, and just too one dimensional so far, to pay much for. He's an elite passer though... but not much of anything else. His game was rounding out this year a bit, but he didn't have the guys to put the puck in the net and setup, and then whatever the issues that had his leave of absence.... I think he starts with the Marlies, and then the rest is up to him. He either shows more, or is worth considerably less than the 4th you suggest... He'd just be a good AHL player at that point, so that's probably what you'd move him for, someone else's AHL player.

He's waiver eligible so forget the rest being up to him, that start would be up to 30 other teams. If the plan is to waive him you might as well take the 4th because he'd probably be claimed.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He's waiver eligible so forget the rest being up to him, that start would be up to 30 other teams. If the plan is to waive him you might as well take the 4th because he'd probably be claimed.

If you are another team, he's a player you are going to claim, and put on your NHL roster?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If you are another team, he's a player you are going to claim, and put on your NHL roster?

I think a bad team would give him a shot yes. I think there would be a handful of teams who would look past his interrupted year last year and would probably be willing to take a chance on a prospect who had a very successful year before that. Most guys who put up those numbers would have been in the NHL the year after. You're bad, what have you got to lose by giving a 23 year old player who was PPG in the AHL at 21 a shot?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad