Proposal: Tj Brodie for Sam Reinhart

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
It makes sense buffalo would pass simply because of age difference, and the fact that Brodie only has two years left on his contract. What would buffalo fans instead think of one of the flames defensive prospects as a base for reinhart? I.e one of Fox/Andersson/Kylington+? (I would be VERY hesitant to include Juuso Valimaki as I think he's our best defensive prospect and likely going to be a stud).

I just don't know. Its tough to trade a proven commodity for a prospect. How about you send us all 3, and we'll send 2 back in 3-4 years when we find out who's better lol.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Calgary adds I think. Maybe Brodie + Kylington for Reinhart?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Risto I can understand and even then Brodie was definitely better than Risto prior to this season. Scandella? You got to be kidding me. Even in an off year Brodie is still a bit better than Scandella, and when Brodie is on you can't even compare them. Brodie in 2015-2016 (His best season yet) he was better than Josi and Subban in that season. Obviously long term speaking Brodie doesn't come close to those two players, but likewise the same can be said about Scandella. Even if he had a better season this season he's nowhere near Brodie's caliber.
I think Brodie's taken a lot of unnecessary crap for having a down year, but the fact remains that he had a down year on a team that expected to make the playoffs. Scandella got traded to a tire fire and still had a pretty good year. If I'm Buffalo, that counts for a whole lot.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
I think Brodie's taken a lot of unnecessary crap for having a down year, but the fact remains that he had a down year on a team that expected to make the playoffs. Scandella got traded to a tire fire and still had a pretty good year. If I'm Buffalo, that counts for a whole lot.

He's kind of had 2 bad years, but that's not even my biggest issue. My biggest issue is he's 27 (28 in June) with 2 years left on his contract. Which means at 30 he's going to need a new contract. If he plays bad, we traded Reinhart for a meh defenceman. If he plays good, he's going to want a contract into his mid-to late 30's. It's just a bad situation to trade a 22 year old for.

Now adding a good prospect like Anderson or Fox makes it more enticing. But we're still gambling with a prospect. I might do that deal.

Plus it would be kind of cool to have two Ramus's on the team lol.

Last edited:

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
He's kind of had 2 bad years, but that's not even my biggest issue. My biggest issue is he's 27 (28 in June) with 2 years left on his contract. Which means at 30 he's going to need a new contract. If he plays bad, we traded Reinhart for a meh defenceman. If he plays good, he's going to want a contract into his mid-to late 30's. It's just a bad situation to trade a 22 year old for.

That's definitely a far more fair opinion.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Fake news.

When Gio went down Brodie stepped up huge. He was great.

Of course that was a few years ago.

He has really regressed under Glutzan.

Heck even with Giordano, Brodie's WOWY and eye test proved that if anyone carried his partner it was Brodie carrying Giordano rather than Giordano carrying Brodie. Both were great in their own rights though. Especially in 2013-2014, that was an insanely dominant defensive performance by both players. Brodie needs a system that utilizes his speed and backhand.

Reactions: HugginThePost

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
People saying Brodie has had a bad couple years obviously don't realize that it coincided with his fiancee (now wife) getting diagnosed with MS in 2015.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
People saying Brodie has had a bad couple years obviously don't realize that it coincided with his fiancee (now wife) getting diagnosed with MS in 2015.

Well it's definitely a mental thing and being hindered by Gulutzan, at the same time with his wife still having MS and if it's still going to affect him badly, it's a cause for concern.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
So? He has 2 years left on contract.

I think one way to interpret Deen's point (I think. I hope I'm not putting words into his mouth) is more of an internal than external comment. It's more along the lines where we Flames fans shouldn't be as hard on him and perhaps stick by him rather than try to dump him.

I'd venture to guess its similar to how Buffalo fans may perhaps view and defend Oksposo?

Reactions: Deen

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't think it works for Buffalo. I'm sure they'd be interested in Brodie as a player, but not at that cost.

I think one way to interpret Deen's point (I think. I hope I'm not putting words into his mouth) is more of an internal than external comment. It's more along the lines where we Flames fans shouldn't be as hard on him and perhaps stick by him rather than try to dump him.

I'd venture to guess its similar to how Buffalo fans may perhaps view and defend Oksposo?

Okposo had a life-threatening hospitalization and lost most of his summer training. He was not capable of rebuilding himself for the year and his play rightly suffered due to it. I would expect Brodie's off-ice concerns to also have been an inhibiting factor in his on-ice performance.

Reactions: Fig and Deen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad