Injury Report: Timo Meier out a month with Mono

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
By rushing him you risk him being a liability that loses his coach's trust and gets relegated to roles he cannot perform. It isn't like he dies after age 25, you know. Especially if he has an all-round game, he will be valuable as he ages.

Forwards peak at 23-24 years old. Stashing him in the minors until he's 25 would be a complete waste of his best offensive years.

Defense really isn't anywhere near as important for a winger as you all are making it out to be. Kane is horrible defensively and he's the best winger in the league. And before someone jumps on me, no, I don't think Goldobin is or will ever be Kane but he's a great offensive talent who deserves a real extended look in the NHL and will help our team more than Meier.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Forwards peak at 23-24 years old. Stashing him in the minors until he's 25 would be a complete waste of his best offensive years.

Defense really isn't anywhere near as important for a winger as you all are making it out to be. Kane is horrible defensively and he's the best winger in the league. And before someone jumps on me, no, I don't think Goldobin is or will ever be Kane but he's a great offensive talent who deserves a real extended look in the NHL and will help our team more than Meier.

I figured Kane would be brought up. Goldobin doesn't project as an 80+ point guy.

He needs to round out his game.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Legit question: is it even possible provide evidence? Do we have numbers besides his raw output stats?

No, which is why drawing conclusions either way is ridiculous. I suspect Goldobin is a good possession player simply because he's good, but I have no proof either way.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
I figured Kane would be brought up. Goldobin doesn't project as an 80+ point guy.

He needs to round out his game.

And what if he never does? We're gonna sacrifice him at the altar of two-way Canadian hockey?

He's skilled enough to play in the league right now. If he never figures out how to play in the defensive zone, so be it. He can still easily be a net positive for the team, especially as a winger where his defensive responsibilities will be extremely limited.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
No, which is why drawing conclusions either way is ridiculous. I suspect Goldobin is a good possession player simply because he's good, but I have no proof either way.

Small sample size but his 9 games weren't that good in the nhl. 42.9%

Intent

Dec 30, 2015
San Jose
And what if he never does? We're gonna sacrifice him at the altar of two-way Canadian hockey?

He's skilled enough to play in the league right now. If he never figures out how to play in the defensive zone, so be it. He can still easily be a net positive for the team, especially as a winger where his defensive responsibilities will be extremely limited.

What if he DOES figure it out though? Moving him to the bigs won't let him figure it out, but he might with another year in the AHL. That's the risk. If he plays next year he isn't being wasted, he is being groomed.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Ridiculously small sample size and that was early in the year before he improved.

It is scary to match that up with his most common line mates also.

Which were thornton, pavs, ward, wingels, marleau. Top 2 were thornton and pavs.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
There is more evidence to point towards him not being that good of a possession player then there is pointing in favor of him being one.

Come on, you know that's a dumb argument.

Not entirely true in hockey.

It is impossible to draw the conclusion "Goldobin is a bad possession player" from 9 games. You can absolutely draw the conclussion "Goldobin played poorly over those 9 games", but no conclusions about how good a possession player he is or will be.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
It is impossible to draw the conclusion "Goldobin is a bad possession player" from 9 games. You can absolutely draw the conclussion "Goldobin played poorly over those 9 games", but no conclusions about how good a possession player he is or will be.

Oh, my apologies (I need to read more thoroughly). Yes, it is impossible to draw a conclusion on possession. I mistook what you were talking about.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

People typically reach their athletic prime at 20-22, but I'd say that generally, forwards peak around 27-28. Goalscorers tend to peak earlier, as do players who rely more on physical skills (like power forwards), but there is a fairly large cerebral part of the game. Players will only get better in that aspect with time. Thornton, Ovechkin, Crosby, and Malkin were physical monsters their first couple of years in the league, but they are, for the most part, better players now.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
People typically reach their athletic prime at 20-22, but I'd say that generally, forwards peak around 27-28. Goalscorers tend to peak earlier, as do players who rely more on physical skills (like power forwards), but there is a fairly large cerebral part of the game. Players will only get better in that aspect with time. Thornton, Ovechkin, Crosby, and Malkin were physical monsters their first couple of years in the league, but they are, for the most part, better players now.

I'm pretty sure there are multiple studies saying that goalscoring peaks at 23-24, but it's also true that a player can get better even if their goalscoring decreases (Thornton is a good example).

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Honestly, Goldobin isn't far off from what Marleau was at his age defensively. Goldobin is probably better in terms of offensive talent than what Marleau was at 21. The only difference is team depth. It's harder to break into this lineup than when Marleau did. I'm all for Goldobin getting a spot on the Sharks. I'm all for making room for him to make that happen because whether you call it gifting him a spot or not, in some cases it's the best thing for the team to do. Some prospects simply need the opportunity against better competition and with better teammates and maybe even fail for a little bit before they take that next step. It's been a fairly common theme for Goldobin in his career path thus far. He starts slow at a new level and picks it up as he goes.

I don't think he'd do well with the Joes either. He doesn't really mesh with them. Nobody on that line would fore-check all that well. I think Goldobin-Hertl-Karlsson/Ward would be a pretty good mix of skills.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Sure you can draw the conclusion from watching those games, it's not like they were dominating and he was killing it but just didn't score. He was simply not ready, it was plain for everyone to see.

Would be good to see how he does now after a year of seasoning, but I don't like the chatter I'm hearing so far from training camp. That said he seems to be performing well in games.

But lets not lose sight of the fact that Meier is the comparison being made. So far he's earned tons of accolades but we need to see him on the ice playing NHL hockey.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
You all are hilarious. None of these guys are gonna stick for the whole season. The Sharks don't even need them too. I'd be happy if Meier, Goldobin, Sorrenson, Leblanc, etc. get shuttled back and forth between the Barracuda for reasonable short stints with the big club. They each get a taste and each learn their lessons on what they need to work on.

For Goldobin in particular I think it will come down to finding the right set of linemates. After watching him all last season, and initially really focusing on his lack of defensive play - I eventually came to realize (with some cajoling on the part of some others) the offense is definitely there and the defense is a work in progress but not wholly inadequate. If the Sharks can give him the right linemates (like, if they aren't already accounted for on another line that is doing very well) that can both pair up to take the bulk of the defensive zone responsibilities and also be useful in the offensive zone I could see Goldobin making a spot for himself BY THE END of the season. Something like him being a playmaking winger with Patty and Ward. Or being a distributor and scorer on a line with Hertl and Boedker.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Given the Sharks coach and system, I still don't think Goldobin has an NHL career with this team. He is good with the puck, but tonight's game just reinforced that he is almost useless without it. The comment that wingers are largely absolved of defensive responsibility is simply lame. He is weak on the boards and on the backcheck, and that will likely keep him from being a regular NHLer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad