Injury Report: Timo Meier out a month with Mono

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
Ryan Carpenter and Barclay Goodrow are **** teammates in the AHL?

U1PHT7H.gif

He never played with them. Which I know because I watched plenty of Barracuda games where Goldobin was creating and driving the offense every time he was on the ice without competent linemates to finish off his plays. He's a special talent who could replace a lot of what we will lose in Thornton and Marleau's eventual decline. Meier is a run or the mill complementary winger.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
He never played with them. Which I know because I watched plenty of Barracuda games where Goldobin was creating and driving the offense every time he was on the ice without competent linemates to finish off his plays. He's a special talent who could replace a lot of what we will lose in Thornton and Marleau's eventual decline. Meier is a run or the mill complementary winger.

That is a lie.

Goldobin - Haley - Parkes/Emanuelsson/McCarthy was a line for ~2 months
Goldobin - Carpenter/Langlois - Goodrow was a line for a month or so
Goldobin - McCarthy/Langlois - Morin was a dominant line for the end of the season
Goldobin - McCarthy - Emanuelsson was a line for less than a month

Goldobin played on a lot of lines last season, but you'd be hard pressed to call them ****.

And I'm dying at you calling Meier "run of the mill". Could not be more wrong.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

This is embarrassing.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
That is a lie.

Goldobin - Haley - Parkes/Emanuelsson/McCarthy was a line for ~2 months
Goldobin - Carpenter/Langlois - Goodrow was a line for a month or so
Goldobin - McCarthy/Langlois - Morin was a dominant line for the end of the season
Goldobin - McCarthy - Emanuelsson was a line for less than a month

Goldobin played on a lot of lines last season, but you'd be hard pressed to call them ****.

And I'm dying at you calling Meier "run of the mill". Could not be more wrong.

I also love the Thornton/Marleau comps. Is Goldy going to grow 6 inches and put on 50 lbs? :laugh:

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
He definitely never played with both Carpenter and Goodrow in any of the games I saw. Regardless, compared to what Meier has had to work with so far in his career, Goldobin has played with garbage talent. And has still managed to produce a ton. He's the better prospect and I look forward to him demonstrating that over the next two weeks and beyond. This is the opportunity he needed.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
I also love the Thornton/Marleau comps. Is Goldy going to grow 6 inches and put on 50 lbs? :laugh:

I never compared him to either player. I said he'll replace the skill/production we lose with those guys. What, just because Patrick Kane is tiny he wouldn't be able to replace Thornton's offense?

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Jeremy Morin was far and away the most "talented" (pure skill-wise) linemate Goldobin played with, and when they were together Goldobin was very, very good. I'll give you that much.

I would like to see Goldobin with the Joes for a bit, but your posts are way off.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
He definitely never played with both Carpenter and Goodrow in any of the games I saw. Regardless, compared to what Meier has had to work with so far in his career, Goldobin has played with garbage talent. And has still managed to produce a ton. He's the better prospect and I look forward to him demonstrating that over the next two weeks and beyond. This is the opportunity he needed.

A way to get your point across without pissing everyone off: "Bad luck for Meier but I'm excited for Goldobin that he gets the opportunity to show he belongs in the NHL."

That simple.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I never compared him to either player. I said he'll replace the skill/production we lose with those guys. What, just because Patrick Kane is tiny he wouldn't be able to replace Thornton's offense?

Goldobin couldn't sharpen Kane's skates. What another terrible comp.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

Problem being thornton and marleau bring a lot more to the table then just offense. All of those extra things are the things scouts and coaches have been saying goldobin has to work on big time before he reaches his potential.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
Goldobin couldn't sharpen Kane's skates. What another terrible comp.

Christ, I'm not saying Goldobin is Kane. Just that he doesn't have to be big to replace (some of) Thornton or Marleau's offense. He's literally the only forward in the system with the talent level to do that and it's extremely important for the long-term health of the franchise that he be given the opportunity to show what he can bring at the NHL level sooner rather than later. Here's his opportunity.

Problem being thornton and marleau bring a lot more to the table then just offense. All of those extra things are the things scouts and coaches have been saying goldobin has to work on big time before he reaches his potential.

True, and I've never denied that. But at the end of the day, in the NHL, it's offensive skill that's hardest to find and the most expensive to pay for. Goldobin has that in spades. We have plenty of other players who are capable defensively.

Intent

Dec 30, 2015
San Jose
True, and I've never denied that. But at the end of the day, in the NHL, it's offensive skill that's hardest to find and the most expensive to pay for. Goldobin has that in spades. We have plenty of other players who are capable defensively.

I think the point you are missing is he doesn't need someone to play defense for him if we give him time to round out his game. Given time, he could be competent defensively and still retain his offensive skill set. Will another year in the AHL rob him of his toolbox? If he is in the NHL there is no way he will be able to learn defense at the same rate, as he will be focusing on adapting his offense. Rushing a player does nothing but stunt potential growth, whereas giving him time could potentially net us a BETTER player at the end.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
This isn't rushing him. Goldobin has already had two years of pro experience and will be 21 by the time the season gets rolling. Forwards peak at 23-24. This is the season for Goldobin to break into the league.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
This isn't rushing him. Goldobin has already had two years of pro experience and will be 21 by the time the season gets rolling. Forwards peak at 23-24. This is the season for Goldobin to break into the league.

He should of spent parts of that 21 years figuring out where the defensive zone was so he wasn't so behind the 8ball when he came to the nhl then.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
The hyperbole around Goldobin's defense is insane. He's a winger - his play in the defensive zone is frankly close to irrelevant. And he's a good enough possession player that the puck will rarely be in the d-zone when he's on the ice anyway. The best defense is a good offense.

Intent

Dec 30, 2015
San Jose

You are rushing a player if he could be better off developing more, as Goldobin clearly could be. His age and experience is irrelevant, it's his total game that is the barometer.

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
So you're the guy that gets happy when someone gets mono. Congrats.

thank you

That already happened to Tyler Toffoli of the LA Kings and it's as if it's some NYR fan, calling the Bay home, has been giving hockey players mono.

If I had access to detective materials, I would out that person on the spot.

If it's indeed an NYR fan, she just guaranteed doomed Henrik Lundvist into solidifying his legacy as "Patrick Ewing of Hockey".

That is all.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
You are rushing a player if he could be better off developing more, as Goldobin clearly could be. His age and experience is irrelevant, it's his total game that is the barometer.

You risk missing out on the best/most productive offensive years of his career just for the sake of hoping he develops into some sort of two-way dynamo that he realistically will never become. He's a winger and we drafted him for his offense. Again, his defensive value is going to come from the fact the puck will be in the offensive zone the majority of the time he's out there.

Intent

Dec 30, 2015
San Jose
You risk missing out on the best/most productive offensive years of his career just for the sake of hoping he develops into some sort of two-way dynamo that he realistically will never become. He's a winger and we drafted him for his offense. Again, his defensive value is going to come from the fact the puck will be in the offensive zone the majority of the time he's out there.

By rushing him you risk him being a liability that loses his coach's trust and gets relegated to roles he cannot perform. It isn't like he dies after age 25, you know. Especially if he has an all-round game, he will be valuable as he ages.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

Yeah he is not that good of a possession player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad