Timo Meier (9th overall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Only 13 players are in the top 25 in even strength goals and top 40 in even strength assists

Patrick Kane
Toews
Couturier
Kucherov
Aho
Scheifele
Gaudreau
Draisaitl
McDavid
Mackinnon
Guenzel
Taveras
Timo

Not bad company

(BTW...Guenzel? What a year he's having. Wow)

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Only 13 players are in the top 25 in even strength goals and top 40 in even strength assists

Patrick Kane
Toews
Couturier
Kucherov
Aho
Scheifele
Gaudreau
Draisaitl
McDavid
Mackinnon
Guenzel
Taveras
Timo

Not bad company

(BTW...Guenzel? What a year he's having. Wow)

Guentzel is a good young player but he plays most of his minutes with Crosby who is having a monster year at even strength.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
meier 20 games quicker to 100 points then hertl, any one have thoughts that meier could be the future and not hertl?

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
The biggest problem I have with Meier is that he doesn't do anything at a high-end level and he has never produced without playing next to a superstar. Ehlers in Halifax, McDavid at the Top Prospects Game, Fiala at the WJC. Anyone saying "ok but what about Ehlers with Drouin" is ignoring that Ehlers didn't play with Drouin at even strength and Meier was attached to Ehlers' hip.

Meier is also one of the oldest players in this draft, which is a terrible sign considering his production from the 13-14 season.

You can say "he protects his star teammates" or "he is able to keep up with stars" but at the end of the day we have no stars for him to "keep up" with.

Obviously I cannot read the future but right now this looks like a disaster of a pick. Absolute disaster.

lulz

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Why not both?

can be both, but i mean like the thornton vs marleau kind of future.

i know i might be biased but i just see meier as having a higher ceiling then hertl will ever get to. and right now as is meier is just slightly below hertl. all the while being 3 years younger.

edit: after reading this thread i am shocked that i wasn't actually in it that much. 4 of like my 5 posts before today had nothing to do with meier, but all to do with making fun of other players like couture and marleau lol.

Last edited:

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

i know i might be biased but i just see meier as having a higher ceiling then hertl will ever get to. and right now as is meier is just slightly below hertl. all the while being 3 years younger.

edit: after reading this thread i am shocked that i wasn't actually in it that much. 4 of like my 5 posts before today had nothing to do with meier, but all to do with making fun of other players like couture and marleau lol.
I think they'll be more 1A and 1B than Thornton and Marleau were. One's gonna be the heart, the other one's gonna be the soul. Meier will probably be a more consistent scorer year to year. This is probably Hertl's goal scoring peak considering he's shooting at 20% right now. Regardless, see below.

mooncalf

Mar 15, 2017
San Jose

I don't think Meier will ever be the possession player that Hertl is, Hertl is just ludicrously strong on the puck. However, I think that Timo's a better shooter and finisher. My gut says that Hertl is more important to the team going forward, but he misses some games due to injury every year also. It's a close call.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I don't think Meier will ever be the possession player that Hertl is, Hertl is just ludicrously strong on the puck. However, I think that Timo's a better shooter and finisher. My gut says that Hertl is more important to the team going forward, but he misses some games due to injury every year also. It's a close call.

If cf% (sat%) and ff% (usat%) that the nhl.com uses is right, then meier is the better possession player by the numbers.

55.88% sat for meier.
54.21% sat for hertl.

And

55.66 usat% for meier.
54.18 usat% for hertl.

The only place where hertl according to nhl.com beats meier is usat% ahead.

mooncalf

Mar 15, 2017
San Jose
If cf% (sat%) and ff% (usat%) that the nhl.com uses is right, then meier is the better possession player by the numbers.

55.88% sat for meier.
54.21% sat for hertl.

And

55.66 usat% for meier.
54.18 usat% for hertl.

The only place where hertl according to nhl.com beats meier is usat% ahead.

Don't get me wrong, I think Timo is a great possession player as well, but I don't think he influences it nearly as much playing wing as Hertl does at center. I also said that I think Timo is a better shooter, even though Hertl's shooting % is twice as high as Timo's this year. I think even a year is a relatively small sample size. Anyway, just my opinion based mostly on the eye test, so I could very well be mistaken.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
I feel pretty confident saying Timo and Hertl have opened a new window for the Sharks. Combine them with Labanc's improving play and we have some real solid young players. Hertl will fly under the radar a bit in the national media but he has looked ELITE for most of this season following that brief injury. Meier has had slumps but during those slumps he still looked good on the ice and produced with assists. These two really change the look of the Sharks drafting success.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I feel pretty confident saying Timo and Hertl have opened a new window for the Sharks. Combine them with Labanc's improving play and we have some real solid young players. Hertl will fly under the radar a bit in the national media but he has looked ELITE for most of this season following that brief injury. Meier has had slumps but during those slumps he still looked good on the ice and produced with assists. These two really change the look of the Sharks drafting success.

Plus....the CHL players this year look like the Sharks could have at least 1 more young stud forward en route. Sorensen could be a 20 goal guy as well.

Reactions: Sandisfan

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Lol, you really don't like him do you?

No, I don't. But I don't disagree with the pick. If you have a chance to hit a home run late in the 1st, you take that chance. But he hasn't improved, he's not even the player he was last year, got traded, didn't make the WJC and was a healthy scratch due to his attitude/play.

Again, I want to be wrong, but I have seen zero signs of it.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
No, I don't. But I don't disagree with the pick. If you have a chance to hit a home run late in the 1st, you take that chance. But he hasn't improved, he's not even the player he was last year, got traded, didn't make the WJC and was a healthy scratch due to his attitude/play.

Again, I want to be wrong, but I have seen zero signs of it.

Wait, how has he not improved, and how the hell is he not even the player he was last year?

Last year: 63 GP 13G 54A 67P -29

This year: 60 GP 13G 56A 69P +3

The biggest knock on him was his defensive game and plus/minus and he’s gone from a heavy minus to a plus player this year. That’s a huge improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad