Time to sell-off Simmonds, Voracek, Giroux to the highest bidder

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

Sounds about right. It really is the only logical thing to do at this point. I doubt it gets done before February though. One last effort to see if they can claw back in, and give other teams a chance to better know where they are in the playoff picture. I think he will get a very good return. Good prospect and a first. Maybe the Flyers take a bad contract back to get a little more out of the deal? Barring anything crazy where we fight our way back into legitimate playoff position, I am 100% in favor of trading Simmer. I would be sad to see him go but the makeup of this team is not doing what we all want. Hopefully he goes out West.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Voráček leads the league in assists. Let's trade him because he will never be any better!
He's playing great but if ever a time it would be now as we arent close to winning anything and we could end up we top tier young forwards that fit our young d.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Now we can tell the rest of the league he's really only 25 years old to boost his value.

DQYpin6XkAAuOSy-768x568.jpg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
A Simmonds deal is like a Schenn deal, I don't think he really fits at ES, even with G & Couts.
A Voracek deal would be more like a Carter deal, make me an offer I can't refuse and clear out a big contract.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
He's playing great but if ever a time it would be now as we arent close to winning anything and we could end up we top tier young forwards that fit our young d.

the media and fanbase has to be realistic that this team is going anywhere for another 5 years, hextall should have just tanked this season to get a really good talented player that could help this team next year instead hextall just wants to go to the playoffs and get knocked out in the first round every year, that's good enough for them. winning it all isnt.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Uh, go read the prospect thread.
This team has the best talent pipeline in the NHL, and 2 1st rd picks in a deep draft.
Five years? More like two years!

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Sounds about right. It really is the only logical thing to do at this point. I doubt it gets done before February though. One last effort to see if they can claw back in, and give other teams a chance to better know where they are in the playoff picture. I think he will get a very good return. Good prospect and a first. Maybe the Flyers take a bad contract back to get a little more out of the deal? Barring anything crazy where we fight our way back into legitimate playoff position, I am 100% in favor of trading Simmer. I would be sad to see him go but the makeup of this team is not doing what we all want. Hopefully he goes out West.

We're fine. Some adaptation needs to be done by the coaching staff. Teams with far less talent have gone to the playoffs - we should aim to get the team with the BEST AVAILABLE PLAYERS synced up and playing as a team - work on our offensive line combos and be content with a first round out. We have so much talent in the system, we should be patient and make what we have excel this year while the D core matures. The only trading I would be doing right now is getting rid of Lehtera, Weiss, Manning, MacDonald (one can dream) and any other non producing veterans that either don't work here or won't be the best version of themselves here. Let the kids play, let's stop with this conservative approach and hope for a round 1 appearance until next year when the likes of Konecny and Patrick have improved and our young Dmen are in beast mode

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
the media and fanbase has to be realistic that this team is going anywhere for another 5 years, hextall should have just tanked this season to get a really good talented player that could help this team next year instead hextall just wants to go to the playoffs and get knocked out in the first round every year, that's good enough for them. winning it all isnt.
I know it's sad.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We're fine. Some adaptation needs to be done by the coaching staff. Teams with far less talent have gone to the playoffs - we should aim to get the team with the BEST AVAILABLE PLAYERS synced up and playing as a team - work on our offensive line combos and be content with a first round out. We have so much talent in the system, we should be patient and make what we have excel this year while the D core matures. The only trading I would be doing right now is getting rid of Lehtera, Weiss, Manning, MacDonald (one can dream) and any other non producing veterans that either don't work here or won't be the best version of themselves here. Let the kids play, let's stop with this conservative approach and hope for a round 1 appearance until next year when the likes of Konecny and Patrick have improved and our young Dmen are in beast mode

If you want to make the playoffs, playing too many raw rookies is the best way to ensure you don't get there.

Weise plays 9 minutes a night, Lehtera is benched, Manning was replaced by Alt and now by Gudas.
So the only "nonproducing veteran" left is MacDonald, and you need to find another RHD to replace him.

The Raffl - Filppula - Voracek line is playing very well right now.
So who exactly are you replacing?

And while the AHL prospects have improved, no one is playing lights out where you can simply project them as starters right now.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
If you want to make the playoffs, playing too many raw rookies is the best way to ensure you don't get there.

We know that the best way to increase your chances of winning is to play your most effective players. This isn't up for debate. It's an immutable fact. It doesn't matter if they're 20 or 40.

Last night in particular you could have replaced Filppula with a ham sandwich and still gotten the same production out of that line. It's not reasonable to lump the 3 players together as playing well because they're on the ice at the same time.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
Uh, go read the prospect thread.
This team has the best talent pipeline in the NHL, and 2 1st rd picks in a deep draft.
Five years? More like two years!
yeah, like the two lower first round picks are going to play as soon as next year and very unlikely those players are going to be pan out since they are not in the top 5, no it's going to be five years or until giroux and voracek's contracts run out, dead you really need to be open minded instead of being desperate for a championship. because this delusional thinking of this core which is not a core is not going to win a championship.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
yeah, like the two lower first round picks are going to play as soon as next year and very unlikely those players are going to be pan out since they are not in the top 5, no it's going to be five years or until giroux and voracek's contracts run out, dead you really need to be open minded instead of being desperate for a championship. because this delusional thinking of this core which is not a core is not going to win a championship.
Good players but need to be on contenders to win something.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The two picks this year could play anywhere from 2019-20 (see Konecny, Provorov) to 2021-22 (see Laughton).
However, guys like Rubtsov and Allison should be in the AHL next year and may be playing in 2019-20, Frost 2019 or 2020-21.
Lindblom, Vorobyev, NAK, MV, Morin, Myers will be on the big team between this spring and next winter.
Hart may be only a couple years away.

At some point Hextall will also make a deal or two given his depth of young talent.

The 2019-20 team will not only be deep at the NHL level, the Phantoms will be overflowing with solid prospects.
That's the kind of depth that allows you to deal with injuries, and the flexibility to make quantity for quality trades.

And if they make a Simmonds trade, odds are they 'll get one solid young player (20-22) and a couple draft picks.
Providing even more ammunition.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ

Weise plays 9 minutes a night, Lehtera is benched, Manning was replaced by Alt and now by Gudas.
So the only "nonproducing veteran" left is MacDonald, and you need to find another RHD to replace him.

And while the AHL prospects have improved, no one is playing lights out where you can simply project them as starters right now.

That's certainly not true. The best way to make the playoffs is to play your best players and capitalize on their strengths. I am saying to rid yourself of the baggage - they are taking up roster spots whether or not they are benched. Get rid of them. Anyone can replace MacDonald - you can get two equally skilled guys for the price of MacDonald though I would prefer to rid ourselves of that salary hit in general since we have plenty of D prospects to play.

I am ridding our team of exactly the players I mentioned. You could plug in Leier or NAK (they should put both in) and let them get their NHL skating legs. Using them in place of Lehtera and Weiss IS the better option.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
The two picks this year could play anywhere from 2019-20 (see Konecny, Provorov) to 2021-22 (see Laughton).
However, guys like Rubtsov and Allison should be in the AHL next year and may be playing in 2019-20, Frost 2019 or 2020-21.
Lindblom, Vorobyev, NAK, MV, Morin, Myers will be on the big team between this spring and next winter.
Hart may be only a couple years away.

At some point Hextall will also make a deal or two given his depth of young talent.

The 2019-20 team will not only be deep at the NHL level, the Phantoms will be overflowing with solid prospects.
That's the kind of depth that allows you to deal with injuries, and the flexibility to make quantity for quality trades.

And if they make a Simmonds trade, odds are they 'll get one solid young player (20-22) and a couple draft picks.
Providing even more ammunition.
Not all of them will play for the flyers. Not even close.

flymuth

Mar 26, 2009
Harrisburg
I know we should trade Simmonds, but I will hate the day when we do. The only other players I hated to see traded from the Flyers; Rod Brind'amour and Peter Forsberg (the first time when he was sent in the Lindros trade).

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
"Two lower first round picks"?

Looks like you're contradicting yourself in the desperate need to be pessimistic.

Which one is it? Is the team horrible or will our 1st round pick be late in the first round? Can't be both.

Not to mention the irony in you telling someone they're being delusional. :laugh: Your pessimism controls you to the point that you ignore logic. Pretty sad.

Reactions: The Rage Kage

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
"Two lower first round picks"?

Looks like you're contradicting yourself in the desperate need to be pessimistic.

Which one is it? Is the team horrible or will our 1st round pick be late in the first round? Can't be both.

Not to mention the irony in you telling someone they're being delusional. :laugh: Your pessimism controls you to the point that you ignore logic. Pretty sad.

you know what i dont understand is, when the flyers cant win anything in 42 years and a team like the pens can win more championships than this sorry excuse of management, why are you still defending them? it seems like you have no passion to win, it's all about liking players and management no matter how many years we lose and being more off a embarrassment to the nhl, you still will make excuses for them, that's what's sad.

you just dont want changes and im saying this, this team will not win a championship with this core it hasnt 5 years ago, it wont 5 years later. it is what this team is.

i mean look at the sharks, they kept joe Thornton and patrick marleau and they dont win squat which they should have gotten rid of them a long time ago and tanked to get better players but that delusional franchise thinks they can win with them and it backfired on them and marleau left. they got nothing back from them and now they are stuck in neutral because they have no Crosby and malkin type of talent on that, just like flyers. until the flyers make serious changes like getting of the core of simmonds, giroux and voraeck, the flyers are always going to be stuck in neutral until they do.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
you know what i dont understand is, when the flyers cant win anything in 42 years and a team like the pens can win more championships than this sorry excuse of management, why are you still defending them? it seems like you have no passion to win, it's all about liking players and management no matter how many years we lose and being more off a embarrassment to the nhl, you still will make excuses for them, that's what's sad.

you just dont want changes and im saying this, this team will not win a championship with this core it hasnt 5 years ago, it wont 5 years later. it is what this team is.

i mean look at the sharks, they kept joe Thornton and patrick marleau and they dont win squat which they should have gotten rid of them a long time ago and tanked to get better players but that delusional franchise thinks they can win with them and it backfired on them and marleau left. they got nothing back from them and now they are stuck in neutral because they have no Crosby and malkin type of talent on that, just like flyers. until the flyers make serious changes like getting of the core of simmonds, giroux and voraeck, the flyers are always going to be stuck in neutral until they do.
Wow... this is some casual facebook fan thinking.

1. The Pens won because they got gifted Crosby and Malkin. They didn't have to go through the rebuilding stage where you draft and develop young guys, they were given generational players who were in their prime as soon as they stepped on NHL ice for the first time. Crosby had 102 points his rookie year... 120 the next. Malkin had 85 his rookie year, then 106 and 113 in the next two. Who else has done that since then? McDavid? OK, well I guess f*** Hextall for not getting him then. :laugh: Its not that I "have no passion to win", I'm just not dumb enough to think winning is easy.

2. The whole "this core hasn't won anything so they're not good enough to ever win anything" thing is about as dumb of a statement as you can make. They haven't won because they've had ZERO help. Outside of the forward core, who have they had that's actually provided consistent secondary scoring, reliable defense, or steady goaltending? Blaming them for not winning a cup is idiotic.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The reason Hextall did this extensive rebuild was because he knows the core isn't good enough to win without a lot of help. Conversely, if you get that help, the core won't have to do as much.

In two years the centers may be Couts, Patrick, Frost and Vorobyev. That's pretty good.
The D-men could be Provorov, Myers, Sanheim, Ghost, Gudas and Morin
In that case, how good do Giroux and Voracek have to be from 2019-2022?
Especially if Hart turns out to be the real thing.

Reactions: The Rage Kage

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Went into a main board Simmonds trade thread to see one of the Flyer ambassadors say Roy+Gauthier was fair value from Carolina.

My mistake was going into a trade thread.

77f.gif
There isn't one single thread on the main board that's worth reading. It's all trolls, ignorance, or a combination of the two.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
The trade board is a fun place to hop in every once in a while to remind yourself to appreciate the more informed discussion.

For example, the guy explaining to Curu and myself that pending UFA Kane, RFA Lehner and eating Lehtera for (Sanheim or the PHL 1st + 2nd) and Neuvirth makes sense for everyone because, to paraphrase, “GMs do stupid things but also the value is good.” You have to be able to laugh at it.

Reactions: Chinatown88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad