Time to sell-off Simmonds, Voracek, Giroux to the highest bidder

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
As for G and Voracek...I don't know how I would feel about that. Too reminiscent of Carter/Richards which was fun and crazy and exciting with the picks and prospects, but didn't work out the way we all had hoped. If you are dealing G and Voracek you have to be completely committed to a rebuild and probably trade Couturier too and maybe Ghost as well. I don't think you can trade Simmer and one of G and Voracek. Trading Simmer is fine. I think at this point it is a no-brainer. But if you deal Voracek, G has to go too (or vice versa). Then you start looking at guys like Couturier and Ghost to see if it makes sense to deal them for full-on rebuild setup.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Evans would have to be signed after his senior year, why wouldn't he just take the FA route?

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
Simmonds I am right there with you in trading. I love the guy but get something for him. He's going to get a big raise and he's got another year at a low clip after this which should make him all the more valuable as a trading chip this season. I think you absolutely sell him for a kings ransom of futures. Speaking of Kings, maybe trade him to LA for Vilardi, a 1st, and something else? Too much? Not enough?

Couple of Kings fans on the trade board said that Vilardi was too much. Then again we're all posters on a hockey forum so who knows what could happen.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
As for G and Voracek...I don't know how I would feel about that. Too reminiscent of Carter/Richards which was fun and crazy and exciting with the picks and prospects, but didn't work out the way we all had hoped. If you are dealing G and Voracek you have to be completely committed to a rebuild and probably trade Couturier too and maybe Ghost as well. I don't think you can trade Simmer and one of G and Voracek. Trading Simmer is fine. I think at this point it is a no-brainer. But if you deal Voracek, G has to go too (or vice versa). Then you start looking at guys like Couturier and Ghost to see if it makes sense to deal them for full-on rebuild setup.

Couts will be 25 this year, this team will be competitive by 2019-20 and definitely 2020-21. So it makes zero sense to trade him.
Giroux is probably untradeable, and wouldn't bring back enough to make up for losing his leadership.

Voracek might be tradeable, and it would get the team out from under his contract, and he might prefer to play for a playoff team in his prime years.
Ghost is more of an opportunistic move, if you could get a top four RHD and balance the defense.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
How does it make sense to trade Simmonds for a soon to be 30 year old Patches with the same contract uncertainty that would lead us to trade Simmonds?

Patches is better, and that's a fair "hockey trade," but the point of trading Wayne is not for a close to lateral "hockey trade." It's to get younger.

Theoretically, you could make a Simmonds trade now to try and jump start the team this season. (I've already said change the coach first, but I am not the GM).

Since Pacioretty is a better overall player, if the team continues to suck, then you trade him at the deadline for prospects + picks..

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Evans would have to be signed after his senior year, why wouldn't he just take the FA route?

I would take the Arizona pick and Evans out entirely. Montreal will probably love getting Laberge for a 3rd since he's a Frenchie.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Theoretically, you could make a Simmonds trade now to try and jump start the team this season. (I've already said change the coach first, but I am not the GM).

Since Pacioretty is a better overall player, if the team continues to suck, then you trade him at the deadline for prospects + picks..

I'm not sure if Simmonds doesn't have higher value to GMs than Patches. GMs are not rational people. Doesn't matter if Patches is marginally better -- and he's not having such a great season himself. I'm also not a fan of making a big trade for an established player with the thought you could always turn around and pawn off what you purchased for the same price at which you purchased it. That's not how it usually works out. I'm sure Ottawa is content they could always just trade Duchene now........at a likely value loss.

If Ron Hextall looks at this current team and decides to trade its most valuable trade piece in a lateral, win-now move to jump start them this season (and next), he should fire Hakstol and then fire himself right after. Patches has 1 year left and will be 31 in the first year of his contract. That's not a plan; it's the antithesis of a plan.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The value is close, and really depends on the GM. I think Pacioretty would do very well here with the captaincy pressure off.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Couts will be 25 this year, this team will be competitive by 2019-20 and definitely 2020-21. So it makes zero sense to trade him.
Giroux is probably untradeable, and wouldn't bring back enough to make up for losing his leadership.

Voracek might be tradeable, and it would get the team out from under his contract, and he might prefer to play for a playoff team in his prime years.
Ghost is more of an opportunistic move, if you could get a top four RHD and balance the defense.
They are all tradeable. But why and what for if the goal is to win the Cup. We should be discussing team needs not team subtractions. Trading any of them just like trading Schenn just puts us further away.
My additions required to be a contender.
1. A top half of the league goaltender. (Hart/Sandstrom at best arriving in two years, otherwise a trade)
2. A strong veteran top pair RHD to pair with Provorov. (Myers at least two probably three years away, Otherwise a trade.)
3. A LW capable of scoring 30 to pair with Patrick.(Not sure if Lindblom or Rubstov could fill that role but at least two years out)
4. Within a year the D will be fine with Sanheim, Morin Ghost filling lower slots if a top RHD is found.
5 Bottom 6 forward depth is the least of our worries.

I am totally opposed and this it would be a huge mistake today to trade any of the top line because we have no internal replacement. Simmonds is a tough choice because he brings something to the table that no other forward brings and I personally think is important but trading him might bring you one of the above missing pieces.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

No, if we are blowing this team up a 25 year old Coots is very much on the chopping block. Presumably, we would be trading for future draft picks and/or high end prospects if we are dealing all these guys. Why keep Coots? You're essentially gambling when you trade away an NHL player for futures.

In a scenario where we are legit blowing up the team and dealing G, Voracek, and Simmer, there is no guarantee that any of the return turns into anything at all, certainly no guarantee that they are the building blocks for a Cup (the assets going out are assets we got in trades to blow it up once before, remember?). Hanging on to Coots doesn't make a lot of sense in this situation given the fact that none of the assets we'd get in return would presumably be guaranteed to make any impact ever in the NHL, let alone in the next couple years when he'd be at his highest value to the team. If you're blowing it up, blow it up. Pretty much anyone on the roster now should be tradebait except Provolone, Sanheim, and the Neck. Anyone should be offered up to the highest bidders (not suggesting they are traded for peanuts, but they should try to get as much as possible for anyone). Let Provolone completely take over the D, with Sanheim, Hagg, Morin, Myers, Friedman, etc. filling out the rest. Roll with Lindblom and Rubstov, maybe Frost next year depending on how he is progressing. If they can get Villardi see how he fits in the NHL next year. Grab (at least) three additional draft picks in this year's draft by dealing Voracek, G, and Simmer, leaving the team with five in a strong draft. Maybe pick up an additional first next year along the way somehow too. That is how you rebuild. Go big or go home. Sixers style. Not at all my first choice but if we are talking about blowing it up and trading off our best players, you gotta go big or go home.

Otherwise, trade Simmer and get as much as you can and work with what we have (which, frankly would be my preferred option).

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I've been holding off on saying this because I know what the reaction will be, but there is no one in this org whose trade value may exceed his play on the ice more than Provorov.

I would listen if someone called. It would cost a king's ransom though, to be sure.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I've been holding off on saying this because I know what the reaction will be, but there is no one in this org whose trade value may exceed his play on the ice more than Provorov.

I would listen if someone called. It would cost a king's ransom though, to be sure.

I feel like we would regret that in five years. The What-If game would be harrowing.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I feel like we would regret that in five years. The What-If game would be harrowing.

Oh I would definitely be fired inside of 2 years for something like that if I were a GM.

I'm just saying that he's the type of asset that may motivate someone to trade a piece that's always off-limits. That's how it could make sense.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
This is what i would do

Trade Simmonds to Edm for Puljujarvi and a 2nd
Trade Voracek to Nashville for Tolvanen and a 1st

Our 1st - Filip Zadina-LW-Halifax
Nashville 1st - Benoit-Olivier Groulx-C-Halifax
St. Louis 1st - K'Andre Miller-D-USNTDP

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Simmonds is going to a playoff contender but not until January.
Why would anyone pull the trigger right now (unless the GM thinks his job is on the line if he doesn't make the playoffs?).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad