The Athletic - Boston Tim Thomas

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Great article from Sean Shapiro at the Athletic:

Bruins legend Tim Thomas takes a step back into hockey world: 'I'm looking to reconnect'

It’s the morning of Tim Thomas’s 47th birthday and the former Stanley Cup champion is doing something he doesn’t do: laughing and talking hockey with someone who isn’t a close friend or confidant.

Our conversation is meant to be about the impending launch of Thomas’s first non-fungible token (NFT).
But, for Thomas, this is about more than the latest trend in sports memorabilia and crypto technology. It’s about his gradual re-emergence in the hockey world — a world he sat atop just a decade ago but has actively avoided in recent years.

Thomas didn’t become a starting goalie in the NHL until his 30s. As a 37-year-old, he became the oldest winner of the Conn Smythe Trophy when the Boston Bruins hoisted the Stanley Cup in 2011. Just three years later, after the 2014 IIHF World Championships in Belarus, he retired without warning and fell off the hockey map.

He didn’t just leave the game behind; he was doing everything in his power to avoid the sport altogether.
Thomas stopped talking to former teammates, shrinking his contact list to as few as five people. He removed any reminders of his playing career: no photos on the wall, no hockey on TV, no signs of a career of which most would have been proud.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
We love you Timmy!!!!

Would love to see him do something with the Bruins if he’s up to it. Maybe coming in and talking with prospects at Dev Camp and coming in and talking with the Baby’s B’s and even the B’s a few times a year.

start off really slow and let him dictate things.

Glad he’s doing much better

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
"Thomas had a CereScan, which is used to analyze and diagnose traumatic brain injuries. The scan revealed two-thirds of his brain was getting less than 5 percent blood flow, while the other third was averaging 50 percent."

o_O

:cry:

Glad he is doing better though

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
"Thomas had a CereScan, which is used to analyze and diagnose traumatic brain injuries. The scan revealed two-thirds of his brain was getting less than 5 percent blood flow, while the other third was averaging 50 percent."

o_O

:cry:

Glad he is doing better though

Well yeah, and all the sports media douchebags raking him over the coals and trashing him had no idea what was actually going on with him. I hope every last one of them feels some shame.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Timmy might be my favorite Bruin ever.

He was driven out of town by the media by certain hack journalists in a smear campaign about how he was politically fringy and aloof in the lockerroom. Now that we know the extent of the brain injuries he was fighting at the time, that media narrative comes across as completely offensive and disrespectful in retrospect, considering he's the only goalie in 49 years now to carry your team to a cup.

Furio

you got a bee on your hat
Nov 20, 2018
Naples
He always struck me as a truly genuine, warm, and likable guy who reached the highest echelon of professional success in the most unlikely and unorthodox way - as if his story was something out of a corny Disney movie.

It was such a bummer to see how much hate and scrutiny he received for his political opinions and leanings, and I’m comparatively on the absolute opposite end of the political spectrum. But during that entire ordeal he never disrespected the league, the city, ownership, teammates, and most importantly, his fans.

I’m extremely happy to learn that he’s in a good place in terms of physical and mental health. He should be embraced by all, including supporters of those two Canadian teams he embarrassed during the 2011 cup run, who happen make up about half of the country’s population..

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
My favorite Bruin, and I am SO happy he's reconnecting with the sport and its fans. When crowds are back, if he is honored before a game, his ovation would be deafening.

I was ecstatic to see him joining his former teammates on the Zoom call of the 2011 squad. The fondness, friendship, and yes, love he received from all of them was heartwarming.

I wish Thomas the best of health and happiness in retirement.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
I love the guy. He is an inspiration. Horrible what happened to him and I am very happy he is doing better.

That said, tell me if I am remembering this wrong. 50/50 chance I have this right, but it feels right to me. I remember him taking it really personally when he found out Chia tried to trade him. On the eve of the last year of his contract, he informed the Bruins he wouldn't play. They didnt have the chance to plan around this. They were stuck with his cap hit for no player. He figured he'd screw them and then sign with a new team after his Bs contract expired and continue the greatness. Obviously, didnt work out. Note this all happened before the head injury with Florida.

If I have this wrong, I am genuinely curious to know why he sat out the last year. He was an absolute legend in Boston at the time. Yeah, there was the political stuff on the radio, but I dont think he is the type of guy to care much about that. Heck, how many Bruins have had national tv commercials to that point?

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I am glad he is getting his life together. It is a reminder that people shouldn't judge others for decisions that they know nothing about. I loathe the media for destroying people and their careers for their own purposes.

I wish Timmy all the best and hope he is successful in whatever he chooses to do. I will always be grateful for what he achieved for our Boston Bruins. 2011 was amazing.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Tim got us the cup in 2011. It was a team effort but I don't think it happens with out Tim.

When he was backup we sat next to him.

I remember after one period the team went to the room (like they always do) and Tim stayed out on the bench. There was some little ones on a hockey team skating on the Boston ice for their 3 minutes . I noticed a little girl with "Thomas" on the back of her jersey . I asked Tim " Someone you know?" He said with huge proud daddy smile "My daughter". It was sweet.

This is a cute story so not political. After the WH visit (or non visit) a little guy in the front row next to Tim wanted to hold up a sign he had made. His Dad wasn't sure he should. They showed it to us ."Lunch at the White House is for baseball players" We said show Tim ! He smiled and knocked on the glass with his blocker.

and my favorite Timmy story...I have told this before..

I wasn't going to go to the parade because I thought the crowd would drive me nuts but my daughter flew home from Calif. to go so we went.

We got there early and we were right in front of the Garden.

After, we saw the players get off the duck boats . We were trying to decide if we would stay in town or go home.
There were cops saying "no autographs" walking with Tim and his family. Tim still had his playoff beard . I ran over and said "How about a hug" . He was walking with his little girl and looking down. He said "Well no" I was OK with that but then he looked up and noticed the old lady next to the bench and said " I know you" and he gave me a big bear hug.

I thanked Tim for winning the cup and he said " Thank you for cheering for me last year too". You see the year before he was having problems with his hip and had a couple of tough games Some asshole was shouting at him telling Tim "you suck" I said don't listen to that fool.

Anyway it was a nice moment. I don't boo my own team because you just don't know what is going on with them and encouragement is much better for their confidence.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I love the guy. He is an inspiration. Horrible what happened to him and I am very happy he is doing better.

That said, tell me if I am remembering this wrong. 50/50 chance I have this right, but it feels right to me. I remember him taking it really personally when he found out Chia tried to trade him. On the eve of the last year of his contract, he informed the Bruins he wouldn't play. They didnt have the chance to plan around this. They were stuck with his cap hit for no player. He figured he'd screw them and then sign with a new team after his Bs contract expired and continue the greatness. Obviously, didnt work out. Note this all happened before the head injury with Florida.

If I have this wrong, I am genuinely curious to know why he sat out the last year. He was an absolute legend in Boston at the time. Yeah, there was the political stuff on the radio, but I dont think he is the type of guy to care much about that. Heck, how many Bruins have had national tv commercials to that point?

Can't really see a guy taking a year off at age 38 just to screw the GM that tried to trade him.

But that's just speculation, I don't know what the whole story was.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Tim got us the cup in 2011. It was a team effort but I don't think it happens with out Tim.

When he was backup we sat next to him.

I remember after one period the team went to the room (like they always do) and Tim stayed out on the bench. There was some little ones on a hockey team skating on the Boston ice for their 3 minutes . I noticed a little girl with "Thomas" on the back of her jersey . I asked Tim " Someone you know?" He said with huge proud daddy smile "My daughter". It was sweet.

This is a cute story so not political. After the WH visit (or non visit) a little guy in the front row next to Tim wanted to hold up a sign he had made. His Dad wasn't sure he should. They showed it to us ."Lunch at the White House is for baseball players" We said show Tim ! He smiled and knocked on the glass with his blocker.

and my favorite Timmy story...I have told this before..

I wasn't going to go to the parade because I thought the crowd would drive me nuts but my daughter flew home from Calif. to go so we went.

We got there early and we were right in front of the Garden.

After, we saw the players get off the duck boats . We were trying to decide if we would stay in town or go home.
There were cops saying "no autographs" walking with Tim and his family. Tim still had his playoff beard . I ran over and said "How about a hug" . He was walking with his little girl and looking down. He said "Well no" I was OK with that but then he looked up and noticed the old lady next to the bench and said " I know you" and he gave me a big bear hug.

I thanked Tim for winning the cup and he said " Thank you for cheering for me last year too". You see the year before he was having problems with his hip and had a couple of tough games Some asshole was shouting at him telling Tim "you suck" I said don't listen to that fool.

Anyway it was a nice moment. I don't boo my own team because you just don't know what is going on with them and encouragement is much better for their confidence.

What a great story...thanks for sharing LF

..you are the epitome of a true Bruins fan!

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
Great story Susan. I met him once, at a Bruins off-ice event. I'm not a bit autograph guy but I asked Milt Schmidt to sign an autograph for my father-in-law, and asked Thomas to sign for my daughter, who played goal. He asked me her name, and when I said it he started to write, then paused and said "how does she spell it?" Him taking that extra moment to get it right always resonated with me. Hope he can find a way to deal with his issues and enjoy life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad