WCSF | Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | Round 2 - FIGHT!

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

It’s official, bring on the Oilers!

1714790122557.png

IMG_0045.jpegIMG_0047.jpeg

Oiler Killers:
Quinn Hughes - 25GP, 3G, 19A, 22Pts
JT Miller - 32GP, 11G, 23A, 34Pts
Brock Boeser - 31GP, 16G, 11A, 27Pts

Season Series:
October 11, 2023
Vancouver def. Edmonton - 8-1

October 14, 2023
Vancouver def. Edmonton - 4-3

November 6, 2023
Vancouver def. Edmonton - 6-2

April 13, 2024
Vancouver def. Edmonton 3-1

Last edited:

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
one potentially good part of this series is i don't see the oilers systematically targeting hughes the way the preds did. if they do that we get the green light do the same to mcdavid and we have some big dmen. so maybe hughes can play his game a little more.

otoh i suspect whatever is ailing pettersson is past the point of healing and he may not make it through the series. 15 minutes in the last game and moves the puck the moment he might get hit. best case is ribs maybe but the way they took him out of the shooting rotation on the pp i suspect a damaged wrist or shoulder.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I need to stay away from main boards for this round as it’s bad for my blood pressure. I’ve already engaged more than I should have.

We are overwhelmingly the underdogs and deservedly so but man I would love nothing more than to pull an upset against that team. With Demko healthy I fully believe that we would beat them too which makes it even more frustrating.

The main boards have never been friendly to Vancouver - I’ve largely avoided them since 2011. :laugh:

This is my safe haven to lose my marbles on.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
LOL.

They have the two best players (arguably) in the league.

We have better goaltending (even without Demko)
We have 4 better lines (unless McD and Drais are on the same line), in which case it is three much better lines.
We have better defense.
We won all four regs. You can make a bunch of arguments....but we won all four.

Want to put money on it? I'll put up to $10K on the Canucks if you give me 15% odds.
I don’t gamble and I would never encourage it either!

Reactions: mossey3535

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
LOL.

They have the two best players (arguably) in the league.

We have better goaltending (even without Demko)
We have 4 better lines (unless McD and Drais are on the same line), in which case it is three much better lines.
We have better defense.
We won all four regs. You can make a bunch of arguments....but we won all four.

Want to put money on it? I'll put up to $10K on the Canucks if you give me 15% odds.
But why wouldn’t you just bet $10K at a betting site where you can get the Canucks at 30%?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Oddsmakers have the Oilers as heavy favourites in this one...Three things have to happen for the Canucks to succeed here..Skinner has to revert to being inconsistent (Canucks just faced a superior goalie in Saros), and the Canucks need to find their offence.(Pettersson).

Last, but not least, the Canucks have to stay out the box..The Oilers PP is lethal,..even the Kings , with one of the leagues best PK's, had no antidote for it.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
The thought of Playoff McDrai is honestly terrifying. Canucks will have to take a page from Nashville's playbook and make things extremely though on them physically. McDavid should be getting crushed on every shift.

Reactions: Indiana

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
the talking heads have been overwhelmingly predicting oilers not canucks since shortly before the playoffs. they know more about (suspected) injuries than we do.
None of these guys predicted the Canucks to even make the playoffs, so their predictions are really just bad opinions. I understand why the Oilers are favoured though. Doesn’t bother me and I know it certainly doesn’t bother the team.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Joshua will have a huge series. Might not be PC but he will have big battles with Nurse and Kane. Black players have a chip on their shoulder to make it in this league and they take it out on each other. Should be entertaining and hopefully no injuries

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

This isn’t true right tell this is not true.

While that isn’t a source of any sort, I do think it’s likely that Shorty is done.

For better or for worse (and oh my God, is it worse) Singh and DeBrusk appear to be HNIC’s “number two” crew.

If Toronto advances, it’ll definitely be Singh and DeBrusk.

Our only hope, really, is Toronto losing and HNIC assigning Cuthbert and Simpson to our series.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
The defense has been great, well the defensmen anyway. Hughes and Hronek were both minus players and that can't continue. Hughes as looked a little off from being bashed around so lets hope he regains his true form. Has to have been dinged up. Whole team is better when he controlling the puck.

GranvilleIsland

Feb 26, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.
The defense has been great, well the defensmen anyway. Hughes and Hronek were both minus players and that can't continue. Hughes as looked a little off from being bashed around so lets hope he regains his true form. Has to have been dinged up. Whole team is better when he controlling the puck.
Hronek's decision making was the main factor going by my eye test.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

This isn’t true right tell this is not true.

While that isn’t a source of any sort, I do think it’s likely that Shorty is done.

For better or for worse (and oh my God, is it worse) Singh and DeBrusk appear to be HNIC’s “number two” crew.

If Toronto advances, it’ll definitely be Singh and DeBrusk.

Our only hope, really, is Toronto losing and HNIC assigning Cuthbert and Simpson to our series.
Yeah we need the Bruins to win tonight

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Imagine you go on a memorable run, god forbid win the cup or something and you want to rewatch it years later and you have to do deal with Hanarayan and DeBrusk having done the commentating for it, staining the overall impact and caponizing the entire experience on every aspect. f***ing brutal.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Omg it wasn't a dream, we made it to round 2! Can't f***ing wait for game 1.

I'd feel a lot more confident with Demko in net but Silovs has been great and DeSmith has had great success against the Oilers all year, so we're fine in net.

I still think we're the underdogs, but if we can take it to the Oilers physically and wear them down, we could take this!

LF f***ING GO

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Imagine you go on a memorable run, god forbid win the cup or something and you want to rewatch it years later and you have to do deal with Hanarayan and DeBrusk having done the commentating for it, staining the overall impact and caponizing the whole entire experience. f***ing brutal.

On the upside, if the Canucks can upset the Oilers there’s an added beauty in hearing Singh’s disappointment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad