• Zayne Parekh

Votes: 17 5.3%

• Total voters

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Speaking of trading down, let's say the habs are picking at 5 and there are a ton of teams wanting to draft a particular D at 5. Let's also say the habs trade with pick 7/8/9, what kind of a return would you ask for to swap in the first place? I wonder if that's the way KH gets rid of a contract

Reactions: Scintillating10

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Many have no clue just how skilled Sennecke is and how everything's been coming together for him since the new year. This isn't just a short term playoff streak. We're in month 5 of very dominant play.

He may be the 2nd best puck handler in this draft class (I'd probably put Demidov #1 for puck skills).
The scouts definitely have a clue. Iginla went from outside the first round to 23rd to 15th to ____?
Senneke in a similar situation I'm not sure of his exact progression but he's certainly on EVERYONE's radar.
At least those who count.

Last edited:

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I think the best the WPG pick can be is 24, and that's if Edmonton-Vegas make the conference finals and one of Toronto or Boston make the conference finals.

It will be 24-27 with the teams I mentioned having a chance to help us

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
I think the best the WPG pick can be is 24, and that's if Edmonton-Vegas make the conference finals and one of Toronto or Boston make the conference finals.

Or Colorado.

Basically each loss of Vancouver, Dallas and Florida bumps us up one spot from 27.

Reactions: Gustave

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Fair enough. What would be a realistic scenario to get 10-15 like they did with Romanov? Is it even possible?
I don't think that's Hughes' MO.

He'll move assets for a struggling young player like Kent Johnson, but trading up to get a guy who's likely 2-3 years away from stepping on NHL ice anyway doesn't fit his profile.

Reactions: dinodebino

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Fair enough. What would be a realistic scenario to get 10-15 like they did with Romanov? Is it even possible?

You have to remember that they traded for that pick specifically to consummate a three way deal to land Dach. There was never any intention of just trading Romanov for a draft choice. If they move the WPG pick it will be part of another Dach/Newhook scenario

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
You have to remember that they traded for that pick specifically to consummate a three way deal to land Dach. There was never any intention of just trading Romanov for a draft choice. If they move the WPG pick it will be part of another Dach/Newhook scenario
I disagree. If Sennecke or Iginla somehow is available at 12-14, I could absolutely see them trading up to grab them. 25th OA + Barron to a team like MIN or STL for their 1st could definitely make sense

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal

No best is 26 at this point, because Rangers or Canes will win their division. Worst is 27 if Dallas wins their division. Jets finished 4th, so if the top 4 had been all eliminated that would have yield pick #25.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
I disagree. If Sennecke or Iginla somehow is available at 12-14, I could absolutely see them trading up to grab them. 25th OA + Barron to a team like MIN or STL for their 1st could definitely make sense
OK now read back what you just wrote from a Minnesota or St Louis perspective.

Why are they passing over Iginla in favor of Barron and a 25th?

No best is 26 at this point, because Rangers or Canes will win their division. Worst is 27 if Dallas wins their division. Jets finished 4th, so if the top 4 had been all eliminated that would have yield pick #25.
That's incorrect in every way possible.

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
I've been disappointed with Iginla's U18 up to now. I find his game to be very individualistic. I like that he is fearless, constantly driving to the net, but I think that he suffers from tunnel vision a bit.

His style is not one that translates well to the pros.

I do have to admit that I had not seem any of his play in the Dub, and you can't deny his numbers during the season, I just was hoping to see more impressive play now.

And boy oh boy, the crop of Canada's d-men make me lose my lunch!! They are all low IQ, zero offense. Apart from Mews, they all handle the puck as if it was a live grenade. It is the Achilles heel of this team.

This version is also being carried by its under agers. The draft eligibles have all been very meeehhh, IMHUO.

Reactions: crosbyshow

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
No because if the Top-4 teams are Rangers/Canes-Edmonton-Vegas-Toronto/Boston, those teams will pick 29-32. Dallas, Florida, and Vancouver won their divisions so they would be picks 26-28. And the loser of Rangers/Canes will still have a higher pick than the Jets no matter what because they had more points in the regular season, pick 25.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
No because if the Top-4 teams are Rangers/Canes-Edmonton-Vegas-Toronto/Boston, those teams will pick 29-32. Dallas, Florida, and Vancouver won their divisions so they would be picks 26-28. And the loser of Rangers/Canes will still have a higher pick than the Jets no matter what because they had more points in the regular season, pick 25.
That's how I understood the pick logic, can't find any references to it though.

1. The 16 teams that did not make the playoffs are lottery and pick 1-16.
2. The 12 teams that did not win their division (In the playoffs) pick 17-28 in ordering of the regular season rankings.
3. The 2 conference finalist get 29 & 30, in order of the season rankings.
4. The SC finalist picks 31
5. The SC winner picks 32

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
That's how I understood the pick logic, can't find any references to it though.

1. The 16 teams that did not make the playoffs are lottery and pick 1-16.
2. The 12 teams that did not win their division (In the playoffs) pick 17-28 in ordering of the regular season rankings.
3. The 2 conference finalist get 29 & 30, in order of the season rankings.
4. The SC finalist picks 31
5. The SC winner picks 32

The draft order for the playoff teams is as follows:

- Teams that did not win their division or make it to the conference finals sorted by regular season standings

-Regular season division winners that did make it to the conference finals sorted by regular season standings

- Conference finalists

- Stanley cup finalist

- Stanley Cup winner

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I've been disappointed with Iginla's U18 up to now. I find his game to be very individualistic. I like that he is fearless, constantly driving to the net, but I think that he suffers from tunnel vision a bit.
You are not the only one, it's the main criticism I've been seeing for Iginla since mid-season everywhere. Whatever it is described as poor playmaking, not creating for others, etc. It just all sound like an individualistic player.

And the way it is brought up, I feel like watchers are expecting more from him based on his toolset and perceived toolbox.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com

His style is not one that translates well to the pros.

I do have to admit that I had not seem any of his play in the Dub, and you can't deny his numbers during the season, I just was hoping to see more impressive play now.

And boy oh boy, the crop of Canada's d-men make me lose my lunch!! They are all low IQ, zero offense. Apart from Mews, they all handle the puck as if it was a live grenade. It is the Achilles heel of this team.

This version is also being carried by its under agers. The draft eligibles have all been very meeehhh, IMHUO.
I have the same impression of him.

But I also think fans here, can also have tunnel vision. I think we focus so much on wanting a forward that I think we should consider picking a defenceman. This is a year where you have to go with the best talent available, and not by need. I can't justify ranking a prospect like Cayden Lindstrom, whose seaon was filled with injury, and did not have the proper time to display his progression nor development, over a guy like Zeev Buium or even Zayne Parekh who had tremendous seasons and still showed progression throughout the year.

I'm also aware of the flavor of the week trend here on HFBoards:
Let's recap:
- Before his injury, it was Lindstrom but then injury again and no U18s calmed the hype train
- Then Tij Iginla finishing the WHL season strong but U18s kinda calmed the bandwagon
- So suddenly, Berkly Catton was the elite skilled player we hope to have but concerns about his playoffs performance and how he will translate in the NHL.
- And since his emergence in the OHL playoffs and media hype, Sennecke is now considered 5th overall as well. Despite a very acceptable production in regular season, yes he is showing up in the playoffs when it matters but again, he's projected to be project. Too much uncertainty in his game.

So, all I see is that we hope to have a forward, but no talks of Buium, Dickinson, Parekh (who outproduced Sennecke by a whole globe), and even Carter Yakemchuk who had a tremendous season and has a mean side that we lack. Leshunov not counting. And also amongst the forwards, Konsta Helenius had tremendous Liiga season for a draft eligible. It's always the same thing every year: prospect in the Euro leagues aren't as flashy as the Junior leagues so they are labeled as "low ceiling, high floor"...maybe it's because they play against tougher opposition and against men.

Remember, Juraj Slafkovsky was labeled as not as dynamic and skilled as Cooley. But, when it matters in the big show, Slaf's game is translatable and he produces (Cooley will get there too) but I see Helenius having a better season than a Sennecke waking up in the OHL playoffs. Helenius is going to the Worlds too so let's see what happens

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Trading down is to accumulate draft pick.

Read that again. Three times.

Because those of you who suggest to trade down a couple spot if Sennecke is our pick well team dont do that.

They confidently pick their player at their spot. Or even move up for it.

Why would we risk losing a player we want for more B assets, which we already have too much? Thats the type of things a team like Pittsburgh might do.

I repeat, trading down is only and solely to accumulate draft picks/assets.

Trading down is such a weak ass move i can't even believe we are suggesting it.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

You may disagree but if we were wagering money on which scenario is far more likely it would be the one where they move the WPG pick for a young forward prospect.

Reactions: dinodebino

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Speaking of trading down, let's say the habs are picking at 5 and there are a ton of teams wanting to draft a particular D at 5. Let's also say the habs trade with pick 7/8/9, what kind of a return would you ask for to swap in the first place? I wonder if that's the way KH gets rid of a contract

Traditionally the cost would be a high 2nd round pick.

They'd likely have to try to trade up with the Jets pick. I don't see any other path forward as they just don't have a Romanov that's expendable right now.

what does wee 3 kings think?

Not what I think but Arpon said the chances they'd trade that pick are very very low. They like what forwards should be available to them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad