Post-Game Talk: Tied for Last! (In the East) Jets lose 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think it's completely wild and unrealistic to suggest jettisoning Pearn already.

If you look objectively our PK has been much better. Pearn doesn't control the goaltending. The PP has looked gross but look at most PP's in the league. Outside of ones with disgusting talent they all have their ups and downs.

No way Pearn is let go. You have to give him more than a handful of games to run special teams.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
So let's go back in time.... -Shazzzaaam-

The Jet's don't sign Pav.... Some one else does.. perhaps a more defensively minded team. Pav's end up smoking us a few times, and then here we are *****ing about 'Why didn't we sign Pav'... blah blah blah.

Way off base.

Pavelec has holes, lots of them, hence why he's always getting scored on.

He was better last season, obviously due to focus.

He's really becoming one of my least favorite players at this point. To see him last season and how much he battled to make saves, vs this year. It's night and day.

The only difference for him is that he has security, in that he knows he's getting paid.

Unreal.

Prot

Sep 21, 2011
He's on a team that really doesn't clear the net that well.

I never said Pav was a superduperstar, but a lot of players that this forum wants to punt just aren't looking great right now with either how they're being used, or just who they might be with.

There is no way I"m 'Way off base' with that claim. I still say this core is capable of making playoffs. We have a LOT of players under performing including Pav. It might be the best thing for these guys to get traded... they'd probably benefit from that career wise.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
I think it's completely wild and unrealistic to suggest jettisoning Pearn already.

If you look objectively our PK has been much better. Pearn doesn't control the goaltending. The PP has looked gross but look at most PP's in the league. Outside of ones with disgusting talent they all have their ups and downs.

No way Pearn is let go. You have to give him more than a handful of games to run special teams.

You can't be serious?

Perry Pearn, has made us the worst PP and PK team in the league. Look at all the fantastic work he did in Montreal.

We can't give him time to figure is own **** out. He's not a fit here. Send him on his way.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
He's on a team that really doesn't clear the net that well.

I never said Pav was a superduperstar, but a lot of players that this forum wants to punt just aren't looking great right now with either how they're being used, or just who they might be with.

There is no way I"m 'Way off base' with that claim. I still say this core is capable of making playoffs. We have a LOT of players under performing including Pav. It might be the best thing for these guys to get traded... they'd probably benefit from that career wise.

Those players in front of him are on a team with a goalie that can't control the puck.

It's a 2 way street here, he's not getting the job done. He also never takes the blame for his weak goals. He always has something bad to say about the play that went on in front of him. He needs to own up and take responsibility for the pucks in the back of the net. The GW last night, 100% his fault.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
You can't be serious?

Perry Pearn, has made us the worst PP and PK team in the league. Look at all the fantastic work he did in Montreal.

We can't give him time to figure is own **** out. He's not a fit here. Send him on his way.

I am dead serious. You don't hire an established NHL coach only to fire him after 14 games. It just doesn't happen.

If Pavelec had a better than .700 SV% on our PK, we wouldn't be dead last. If you haven't noticed, the Jets have become more aggressive on the PK and it's actually been quite good the last few games.

The PP is a product of the players. When guys like Kane and Jokinen can't make basic plays: take/ make a pass, make smart dumps, battle hard to retrieve pucks, what would you have Pearn do? Teach them how to play hockey?

Hardly.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
I am dead serious. You don't hire an established NHL coach only to fire him after 14 games. It just doesn't happen.

If Pavelec had a better than .700 SV% on our PK, we wouldn't be dead last. If you haven't noticed, the Jets have become more aggressive on the PK and it's actually been quite good the last few games.

The PP is a product of the players. When guys like Kane and Jokinen can't make basic plays: take/ make a pass, make smart dumps, battle hard to retrieve pucks, what would you have Pearn do? Teach them how to play hockey?

Hardly.

If he's truly a good coach he would have figured out a way to get them scoring. The PP is way too forced this year. I think it's pretty obviously that this is a pretty spontaneous group of players, they like to move around a lot on PP and were at their best when doing so last year.

Wouldn't you think a good coach would be mindful of his players? Use them in way they they can be successful rather than handcuffing them?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

Hardly.

Exactly...
Our PK has been so good that even with our pieces we only allowed ONE friggin shot against... too bad Pavelec let it in...

People who blame our system for Pavs forget a few points:
1) systems don't really change sv% (Hitchcock on avg changes only by 0.004 and Tippett by 0.006)
2) our team is way more defensive than it used to be 2 years ago and that hasn't helped Pavelec much

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Blake Wheeler admits the negativity that surrounds the team from the outside and even on the inside is beginning to take its toll as the team is now tied for last in the East. - TSN
- Not sure if you were the first person to find this Gump Hasek, but good find.

The comment from Wheeler about the negativity is a red flag.

We are living in an age where the younger players have grown up internet savvy, and likely read the media stories, read the tweets, read the posts on forums and so do most of the guys working in the organization.

The press is not helping, but that is usually the case, they write stories to sell papers. The other thing this team should know is there are a LOT of Debbie Downers in this city, it can be sour puss central espcially if we are losing.

I think that there is going to have to be more of an effort from fans for constructive criticitsim, and watching the tone of comments.
Sure everyone is free to speak their mind, but it is telling that many people do not speak on line as they would in person, especially if that person was in the same room or they were speaking to them.

The whole reason I gravitated to the forums here was I thought there was going to be a higher level of intelligent hockey conversation than the Free Press comments section.

I am finding there is an undercurrent here, without pointing fingers at anyone, of the same negative BS taking root here. There will always be some people that are negative and there is little we can do to change that.

Being logical in our arguements, offering constructive critiques and observations is not giving the team a free pass or Participation Ribbons as someone called it.
That does not mean that we cannot call it as we see it, but we have to take personal responsiblity for what leaves our fingers in the digital world.

Personally, I try and tailor my comments so that I would be willing to A: Put my real name to them B: Not be embarassed to say my exact comments face to face with the subject or subjects that I am commenting about.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
So let's go back in time.... -Shazzzaaam-

The Jet's don't sign Pav.... Some one else does.. perhaps a more defensively minded team. Pav's end up smoking us a few times, and then here we are *****ing about 'Why didn't we sign Pav'... blah blah blah.

Inclined to agree. Based on last year, someone would have signed Pavs - workhorse playing 75% + of games, decent enough GAA behind a not so great team.

Did we overpay? Yeah, but shady agent and a great season will cause that to happen. Most important question is what was really out there beyond Pavs to sign? Luongo? Wouldn't happen as we wouldn't pay the price. Should we have signed him to a shorter contract? Perhaps but would that have left him needing to be resigned as a pending UFA? The thinking at the time would have been lock up a couple of his UFA years, not a bad way to go.

I'm not arguing he is playing well, he's not. If you could have foreseen the future it might have been a good idea to go with a two year contract. But I still don't know anyone that sees into the future, so I'm not going to harp on management for it. Hope he can turn it around.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Exactly...
Our PK has been so good that even with our pieces we only allowed ONE friggin shot against... too bad Pavelec let it in...

People who blame our system for Pavs forget a few points:
1) systems don't really change sv% (Hitchcock on avg changes only by 0.004 and Tippett by 0.006)
2) our team is way more defensive than it used to be 2 years ago and that hasn't helped Pavelec much

Brogosian was blaming Pav.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
I'm more concerned about our pp than pk to be honest. Aren't we averaging less than a shot a pp?

Early on we had a high pp shooting % and that's the only reason were not 30th in the league.

I think our pk has been better lately and expect well rise in the pk rankings. Assuming Pavs is better.

I'd give Pearn a chance to change up the PP system. If he can't and it stays useless he needs to go. This team should not be a last place pp team.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

The comment from Wheeler about the negativity is a red flag.

We are living in an age where the younger players have grown up internet savvy, and likely read the media stories, read the tweets, read the posts on forums and so do most of the guys working in the organization.

The press is not helping, but that is usually the case, they write stories to sell papers. The other thing this team should know is there are a LOT of Debbie Downers in this city, it can be sour puss central espcially if we are losing.

I think that there is going to have to be more of an effort from fans for constructive criticitsim, and watching the tone of comments.
Sure everyone is free to speak their mind, but it is telling that many people do not speak on line as they would in person, especially if that person was in the same room or they were speaking to them.

The whole reason I gravitated to the forums here was I thought there was going to be a higher level of intelligent hockey conversation than the Free Press comments section.

I am finding there is an undercurrent here, without pointing fingers at anyone, of the same negative BS taking root here. There will always be some people that are negative and there is little we can do to change that.

Being logical in our arguements, offering constructive critiques and observations is not giving the team a free pass or Participation Ribbons as someone called it.
That does not mean that we cannot call it as we see it, but we have to take personal responsiblity for what leaves our fingers in the digital world.

Personally, I try and tailor my comments so that I would be willing to A: Put my real name to them B: Not be embarassed to say my exact comments face to face with the subject or subjects that I am commenting about.

I am usually quite optimistic, but had a few negative rants yesterday. I think it could be cause I didn't even have a beer during the game as the kids kept me busy :rant: But I think we have a lot of posters who give good opinions and arent always negative so I don't know if I necessarily agree with your comment. I enjoy reading most of the regulars' posts as they give good insight and honest opinions, but some on the other hand....
But having said all that this city can be negative as we have passionate fans that demand results (see Bombers). But what Wheeler said kind of rubs me then wrong way. In ATL no one gave a damn, here people care about the team and expect results. So Wheeler thinks cause fans are negative that that is the reason they are not performing? Its called being honest, him, Jokinen, Pavs are not performing to their potential so are we just negative or honest? I was the highest on those three at the start of the year but they need results, now, in this shortened season. Never mind blaming media and fans for you crappy results, play through it and show some damn resiliency, its called being a professional!

Last edited:

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Being a fan should always be about the journey. Debating how the team should become great is no less fun than debating how the team should stay great. People need to realize that and keep it in perspective that we finally have a team to discuss.

The Jets winning a cup won't materially change anything so don't wish the next x years away waiting for them to get there. Enjoy the ride.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Being a fan should always be about the journey. Debating how the team should become great is no less fun than debating how the team should stay great. People need to realize that and keep it in perspective that we finally have a team to discuss.

The Jets winning a cup won't materially change anything so don't wish the next x years away waiting for them to get there. Enjoy the ride.

This was tearjerking, I need one of your lozanges please.

Prot

Sep 21, 2011
Inclined to agree. Based on last year, someone would have signed Pavs - workhorse playing 75% + of games, decent enough GAA behind a not so great team.

Did we overpay? Yeah, but shady agent and a great season will cause that to happen. Most important question is what was really out there beyond Pavs to sign? Luongo? Wouldn't happen as we wouldn't pay the price. Should we have signed him to a shorter contract? Perhaps but would that have left him needing to be resigned as a pending UFA? The thinking at the time would have been lock up a couple of his UFA years, not a bad way to go.

I'm not arguing he is playing well, he's not. If you could have foreseen the future it might have been a good idea to go with a two year contract. But I still don't know anyone that sees into the future, so I'm not going to harp on management for it. Hope he can turn it around.

Exactly. I'm not saying he is playing great.... but too many people here want to trade off half the team. It's getting ridiculous.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
http://www.winnipegsun.com/2013/02/18/winnipeg-jets-bring-extra-baggage-on-eastern-road-trip

It appears his comments were taken out of context, after reading his entire quote I take back a few things I said from my previous post, I shouldve known better than to trust Gump :)

Unable to read the full article online, reached my quota, but i found this piece interesting too...

"But the biggest problem is not that we’re not trying... we’re just suffocating ourselves with all the expectations. And just not getting the job done.â€

Well all i can say to Wheeler is, boo hoo. Work your way out of it.

Giroux talks to the media a day or two ago and says they have to be better. Period. No excuses.

"we're suffocating ourselves with all the expectations..." There has to be expectations in order to be a winning team and organization. If collectively you can't do, changes are needed. Too much negativity? Win games. Country Club atmosphere should long be over. There is pressure to win at the NHL level and to make the playoffs. Can't handle it? Then play beer league, or in Switzerland.

I think the effort from the Jets has been very good the past few games. And i'm not terribly upset about everything. The fact is, this team does not have the horses this year to make the playoffs, imo. Olli needs to be better. Pavy needs to be better. There are huge holes in our top 6 and top 9. That likely won't change for a year or so, until our young players crack the squad and provide an upgrade.

Keep working hard and most fans will be 'okay' with it. Say you can't handle the expectations that comes with trying to be a winning franchise - then go somewhere else, imo.

Prot

Sep 21, 2011
I really didn't take it that Wheeler was whining. I thought what he was saying is that the weight of the situation in a hockey city, and new ownership can cause you to act in a way that is counterproductive.

That's what I thought he was trying to say... It could be valid, but yea, results are results no matter how you come to them.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Unable to read the full article online, reached my quota, but i found this piece interesting too...

"But the biggest problem is not that we’re not trying... we’re just suffocating ourselves with all the expectations. And just not getting the job done.”

Giroux talks to the media a day or two ago and says they have to be better. Period. No excuses.

"we're suffocating ourselves with all the expectations..." There has to be expectations in order to be a winning team and organization. If collectively you can't do, changes are needed. Too much negativity? Win games. Country Club atmosphere should long be over. There is pressure to win at the NHL level and to make the playoffs. Can't handle it? Then play beer league, or in Switzerland.

I think the effort from the Jets has been very good the past few games. And i'm not terribly upset about everything. The fact is, this team does not have the horses this year to make the playoffs, imo. Olli needs to be better. Pavy needs to be better. There are huge holes in our top 6 and top 9. That likely won't change for a year or so, until our young players crack the squad and provide an upgrade.

Keep working hard and most fans will be 'okay' with it. Say you can't handle the expectations that comes with trying to be a winning franchise - then go somewhere else, imo.

Well said! I always find myself agreeing with you, you remind me of my wife :nod:

SubparSoup

Aug 26, 2011

"But the biggest problem is not that we’re not trying... we’re just suffocating ourselves with all the expectations. And just not getting the job done.â€

This pretty much sums up my feelings exactly

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

Excellent posts and I agree with you guys.

SR, those are my thoughts exactly when I talk about the chicken little's.

Bob E, I agree with your comments around the state of the team and their effort the last few games. Although I think you're being a little hard on Wheeler as he did say that they weren't getting the job done. So he really wasn't trying to side step the issue IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad