Post-Game Talk: Tied for Last! (In the East) Jets lose 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
The players wives and girlfriends need to give these guys some action to get their minds off of the game outside of practice and games.

Seriously, they need to stop whining and making excuses. Just play hockey.

And Wheeler's problems with expectations and being a fairly new father are probably freaking him out

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Monday Audio from MTS Centre

Jets-practice-February-18-2013-300x224.jpg

Blake Wheeler - Dealing with negativity. Where is this negativity coming from? Breaking the cycle.

Ondrej Pavelec - Playing well, but not well enough to win. Development of his game. Facing the Sabres. Does he look down the list of games on the road trip? Can playing on the road be good for this team? Does he look at the standings? Does knowing your position serve as motivation?

Zach Bogosian – Power play struggles. Glass half empty or half full or no glass at all? Getting back to basics. How is he feeling? Challenges they will face from Buffalo. Is it difficult to not look down the list of games on the road trip.

To listen click here.

Coach-Noel-Feb-18-300x225.jpg

Coach Noel - Negativity surrounding the team. Seeing frustration from his team? Mood swing in the 2nd intermission? Facing the Sabres. Power play problems. Play of Anthony Peluso.

To listen click here.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Excellent posts and I agree with you guys.

SR, those are my thoughts exactly when I talk about the chicken little's.

Bob E, I agree with your comments around the state of the team and their effort the last few games. Although I think you're being a little hard on Wheeler as he did say that they weren't getting the job done. So he really wasn't trying to side step the issue IMO.

Wheeler comes across as a very honest guy. And he was being honest. Although I would love for this team to make the playoffs, I'd rather this team develop right and not too fast or too slow. Certainly not ending like the Canucks run in 2011:help:

NSHPreds1835

Glads/Preds
May 24, 2011
Monroe GA
They have said right from day 1 that this was going to be a building process, and that it would not happen overnight.

Look at the following factors;

First season - scramble, short training camp as the team moved and is getting settled.

Second season....second season...waiting...waiting...still locked out...waiting OH there it is. No exhibition and almost NO training camp, coaches only get their first look at players after the CBA is ratified then straight into condensed season.

It is not really the most favorable start to the past 2 seasons from a coaching standpoint.
We were told where the team stands and what they were going to do the moment they got here.
Sit back, relax and enjoy the ride. Yes losing sucks, and no we don't have to be happy about it, but calling to fire the coach or KC...We just got here, and we got the shaft for the start of 2 seasons, and got the shaft for what the ATL management created.
This was a team that was relocated as the fan base was not there and the team sucked and no one wanted to buy the team to keep them there. It would have been a different story if this was an expansion team, but then again, you have a brand new team too.

It is going to take a little to ride this out, and if we get some good draft picks, and perhaps pick up another Finnish Flash, or Ducky...to complement our up and coming D men, I think we will be pushing deep into the playoff in 2-3 years.

One could say that Atlanta/Winnipeg has never really gotten out of expansion mode.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
-

The whole reason I gravitated to the forums here was I thought there was going to be a higher level of intelligent hockey conversation than the Free Press comments section.

I am finding there is an undercurrent here, without pointing fingers at anyone, of the same negative BS taking root here. There will always be some people that are negative and there is little we can do to change that.

Being logical in our arguments, offering constructive critiques and observations is not giving the team a free pass or Participation Ribbon as someone called it.
That does not mean that we cannot call it as we see it, but we have to take personal responsiblity for what leaves our fingers in the digital world.

Personally, I try and tailor my comments so that I would be willing to A: Put my real name to them B: Not be embarassed to say my exact comments face to face with the subject or subjects that I am commenting about.

Thank you for this - personally, I am more than willing to sign my name to anything I write (my screen name is always a variation of my real name), nor would I be reluctant or embarrassed to say my comments in person to anyone.

I would like to mention that there are a lot of "chicken littles" on any site I post to; at least on HFBoards the level of discussion reaches much higher!

David Montgomery

BTW - the Jets have definitely improved their efforts, and had the team gotten NHL quality goaltending in even only half the losses they would be in the thick of the pack.

Sometimes the goalie has to bail out the team, not the other way around (see Brodeur, Anderson, Price - as their respective teams are not demonstrably 6- 7 wins better than the Jets).

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I had always suspected this season would be a bit of a step back from last year. Let's be honest here - the team wasn't great last year, and won some home games based off of adrenaline and the crowd. This year, the "honeymoon" that everyone suggested was happening appears to be over. The crowd isn't as loud as last season, and the team is not playing very well to give them something to be loud about.

The games are close, but there is little to no offence being generated. They're tight defensively, it's lapses that are causing losses. I don't blame the coaching here. Noel said it last night, on Marchand's goal, the team left the middle wide open on the PK. You can't do that, and I'm sure the players know this.

I don't think we can blame Pavelec for the past few games, and that's something I know that some posters were doing when the losing started. The problems are deeper than Pavelec. It's one thing to say that the goalie should steal a game or two. However, sometimes the team has to just go out and win. They haven't done that lately.

Reading the Bruins board yesterday, they were talking about our situation a bit. I agreed with one poster who said something like it's hard to blame the coaching when the players aren't executing and being passengers. They need to stick to the system. I do think, though, that Noel should keep the lines together for more than a couple of periods a game. Give them time to develop chemistry, it's not instant.

Avocado Coolranch

Just a fool
Jul 1, 2012
Vancouver
They need to stick to the system. I do think, though, that Noel should keep the lines together for more than a couple of periods a game. Give them time to develop chemistry, it's not instant.

I agree. There's no reason to juggle the lines at this point of the season. The Jets have energy. The issue I think is execution. Their passes seem to be all over the place and not connecting and they might just be over thinking things with missing the net so many times these past few games. Hopefully with time, the lines can finally develop some chemistry and start making plays. I do like the top two lines however Jokinen in the third line is not going to help his game... what to do?

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Excellent posts and I agree with you guys.

SR, those are my thoughts exactly when I talk about the chicken little's.

Bob E, I agree with your comments around the state of the team and their effort the last few games. Although I think you're being a little hard on Wheeler as he did say that they weren't getting the job done. So he really wasn't trying to side step the issue IMO.

I just didn't like using 'expectations' as an excuse for not winning games. Seems like he is saying (to me) the expectations are causing them to not play relaxed or be tentative or whatever (my words, not Wheeler's).

Wheeler is a leader on this team, or at least, he wants to be. In comparison, Ladd 'called his teammates out' earlier this week, to give their best effort, and the effort has been much better in their last two games. Either game could have easily been wins for the Jets. Like Ladd or don't like Ladd, that is a leader, imo.

For Wheeler to introduce an 'excuse' for not getting the job done, is just that to me. An excuse. If the Jets work hard and are very hard to play against, they'll win games. Will that be enough to get into the playoffs, who knows, maybe. That's why Wheeler's comments bugged me.

Players need to be accountable to one another and to coaching staff. If they take nights off, their ice time should reflect that. I see other coaching staffs holding their players accountable, and they have success, with less talent the Jets have, imo.

Deflecting the blame a bit off the team to either relax them or have them rally around something else as a group, seems like a motivational tactic, more than anything. I would like a team made-up of guys not happy with their games, and a commitment to be better. No excuses. Just be better.

Comments like Giroux's and Ladd's, impress me. Comments like Wheeler's, make me question his leadership. He can be a great guy and teammate, but i would rather he grabs this team by his bootstraps and plays a spirited 'win at all costs' type of game. That just might put some wins in the old win column.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I just didn't like using 'expectations' as an excuse for not winning games. Seems like he is saying (to me) the expectations are causing them to not play relaxed or be tentative or whatever (my words, not Wheeler's).

Wheeler is a leader on this team, or at least, he wants to be. In comparison, Ladd 'called his teammates out' earlier this week, to give their best effort, and the effort has been much better in their last two games. Either game could have easily been wins for the Jets. Like Ladd or don't like Ladd, that is a leader, imo.

For Wheeler to introduce an 'excuse' for not getting the job done, is just that to me. An excuse. If the Jets work hard and are very hard to play against, they'll win games. Will that be enough to get into the playoffs, who knows, maybe. That's why Wheeler's comments bugged me.

Players need to be accountable to one another and to coaching staff. If they take nights off, their ice time should reflect that. I see other coaching staffs holding their players accountable, and they have success, with less talent the Jets have, imo.

Deflecting the blame a bit off the team to either relax them or have them rally around something else as a group, seems like a motivational tactic, more than anything. I would like a team made-up of guys not happy with their games, and a commitment to be better. No excuses. Just be better.

Comments like Giroux's and Ladd's, impress me. Comments like Wheeler's, make me question his leadership. He can be a great guy and teammate, but i would rather he grabs this team by his bootstraps and plays a spirited 'win at all costs' type of game. That just might put some wins in the old win column.

All valid, guess I don't see the comments in the same vein. He definitely was the guy last year holding people accountable, and saying that the team needed to make the playoffs.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
All valid, guess I don't see the comments in the same vein. He definitely was the guy last year holding people accountable, and saying that the team needed to make the playoffs.

I agree with that, Huffer.

Here's a quote from JToews:

"A lot of people want to look at this streak and think that we're just incredibly hot right now and that everything is going our way, but really we're playing a simple game, we're playing smart and we're getting good starts to games. ... Everyone is contributing and when you have that lack of satisfaction and that hunger every single night, it doesn't matter who you're playing."

— Chicago captain Jonathan Toews after the Blackhawks' 3-2 win over the Kings on Sunday

Now, it doesn't hurt that Chicago has tremendous talent, and can play any style you want, but they also have a hunger to win and not just make the playoffs, but win a cup. They struggled last year with virtually the same group. But this year, they got on a roll and are playing very well.

Jets, in contrast, started off 3-1-1 and were playing pretty good hockey. They got away from that game, and had some injury issues (most notably Buff), but they need to have a hunger to get into the playoffs and play with that urgency every night. Teams that do, are in a much better spot. Teams like the Caps, Jets and Flyers (teams that could be higher in the standings) need better, consistent effort from their key guys.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

Sometimes keeping morale up is the objective.

The Jets played Pit and Boston all but even and most of their games have been close. If the leaders think the team is playing scared and overly tense, they should look lighten the mood and relieve some pressure.

If they keep playing as they have the last 2 games the wins will come.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I agree with that, Huffer.

Here's a quote from JToews:

"A lot of people want to look at this streak and think that we're just incredibly hot right now and that everything is going our way, but really we're playing a simple game, we're playing smart and we're getting good starts to games. ... Everyone is contributing and when you have that lack of satisfaction and that hunger every single night, it doesn't matter who you're playing."

— Chicago captain Jonathan Toews after the Blackhawks' 3-2 win over the Kings on Sunday

Now, it doesn't hurt that Chicago has tremendous talent, and can play any style you want, but they also have a hunger to win and not just make the playoffs, but win a cup. They struggled last year with virtually the same group. But this year, they got on a roll and are playing very well.

Jets, in contrast, started off 3-1-1 and were playing pretty good hockey. They got away from that game, and had some injury issues (most notably Buff), but they need to have a hunger to get into the playoffs and play with that urgency every night. Teams that do, are in a much better spot. Teams like the Caps, Jets and Flyers (teams that could be higher in the standings) need better, consistent effort from their key guys.
Toews is full of crap. The Hawks have been incredibly fortunate at times.

'Yay' for robot hockey answers.

'Boo' honest and realistic opinions.

jetkarma*

Toews is full of crap. The Hawks have been incredibly fortunate at times.

'Yay' for robot hockey answers.

'Boo' honest and realistic opinions.

Have to disagree , they have been more what JT said than incredibly fortunate imho.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Have to disagree , they have been more what JT said than incredibly fortunate imho.

They are a very good team, but Crawford and Emery are NOT two of the best goalies in the league and Crawford will NOT sustain a .952 save % on the PK. That is far and away better than he is doing at even strength.

They are good, but they have also been fortunate.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
What's most frustrating about this current team is the complete absence of Blake Wheeler. He is not performing to what we all know his level could be. He has lost the swagger he had in his game at this time last year and its frustrating to keep watching him under perform.
He is getting almost a point/game... what do you consider performing "up to his level" to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad