Post-Game Talk: Tied for Last! (In the East) Jets lose 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
I really think this is blown out of proportion.

We've dramatically improved our numbers, specifically PK, over the last 4 -5 games.

We've been losing 1 goal games, and I know people arel ike "oh my god they played like garbage!" but honestly, if they played the exact same way but won the games, you wouldn't hear that at all.

I think i might have to stay away from GDT and Post games for a while...too many manic depressives.

The problem is that losing one goal games is still losing no matter which way you spin it. There's a lot of questions to be asked about this roster and even the coaching staff right now. Why is it that this team looks to have taken a step back instead of progressing forward?

Do these core group of players know what it is to win these types games? I liked how Noel said the Bruins know how to win, they relax themselves and find a way to get back into the game. I don't know if I can confidently say that this group minus a couple of players knows how to do this. It seems like when they hit a snag they just get down on themselves.

The leadership really needs to step up here and kick this team into high gear, the problem is that it's a team effort. Everyone needs to contribute and from what I've seen there are a lot of passengers.

PS: I'm one of the optimistic "wait and see" type of guys but it's nice seeing this situation and evaluating it from different perspectives.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
What's wearing thin is the debbie-downer, our team/coach/management/draft picks/whatever else sucks babble, and seeing people lose patience after a mere 1.25 seasons. The negative posts outnumber the positive posts 5 to 1 right now. You know what? Just let the guy have his positive spin FFS. :rant:

Agreed Wings.

Surprise! The Jets lose a close one again to a cup contender, and all the chicken little's come out whining and complaining.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Agreed Wings.

Surprise! The Jets lose a close one again to a cup contender, and all the chicken little's come out whining and complaining.

I agree. Though I think some people just expected far too much; cue the complaining. This team is realistically years away from truly contending and I'm just personally planning to enjoy the process until we get there.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Jets looked good last night. The difference was letting up for the span of 1 minutes and four seconds at end of second and start of 3rd period. In the 2nd, the Jets played a hard 19 minutes and 58.5 seconds and got killed on the last second and a half let up at the end.

Jets looked as good as they looked against the Pens. And still substantially better than we looked at home against Flyers and the Leafs. And I thankfully cannot recognize the team that lost 8-3 to Tampa Bay on the road 2 weeks ago!

The team is a playing a more structured game and looks as though there is an actual strategy in place with regards to puck possession. The forecheck looks ...well, like a forecheck. We finally do it consistently and it yields results for us.

I think we got a good roster here just need Jokinen to get going. We look like we're a key player a short of making an impact and I think we the have the guy but he's not making an impact yet.

Burmistrov, Bogosian, Kane, Ladd, Little, Postma and Redmond all looked really good out there last night. Bogo was really flying for only second game in 11 months. That guy skates and plays like a total stud. Huddy deserves a nice testimonial from Bogosian, put it on the resume (not that's he gonna need to update his anytime soon!)

The problem is that losing one goal games is still losing no matter which way you spin it. There's a lot of questions to be asked about this roster and even the coaching staff right now. Why is it that this team looks to have taken a step back instead of progressing forward?

Do these core group of players know what it is to win these types games? I liked how Noel said the Bruins know how to win, they relax themselves and find a way to get back into the game. I don't know if I can confidently say that this group minus a couple of players knows how to do this. It seems like when they hit a snag they just get down on themselves.

The leadership really needs to step up here and kick this team into high gear, the problem is that it's a team effort. Everyone needs to contribute and from what I've seen there are a lot of passengers.

PS: I'm one of the optimistic "wait and see" type of guys but it's nice seeing this situation and evaluating it from different perspectives.

That's where i disagree. Losing is not just losing. Losing by one goal in a close fought game against the PIttsburg Penguins is not losing 8-3 to the Tampa bay lightning.

I don't see it that binary. Yes losing is still losing as far as results in the standings are concerned but contrary to what a lot of us are professing, i HAVE seen dramatic turn around in play over the last 4 games or so.

this team will right the ship.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The unrealistic level of expectation on display in this thread and others is enlightening. This is a team comprised of a young core of a couple of players worth keeping and that is it. They've next to nothing on the farm. They've a goalie that isn't really delivering, though the D he is playing behind is sub-par on the best of nights; there is a correlation there.

The coaching isn't really to blame because his roster is super weak.

I repeat, this roster is super weak.

Management can't effect much near-term change because they don't have much to offer in trade aside from a couple of core players they should keep. All of the preceding is clearly why they stated a plan to build via the draft; they've no real alternatives. That plan, stated on day one, is the result of an astute management group that identified they'd need to build from scratch... since that is what they began with. They've a ton of expiring contracts at season end so change is eventually coming regardless.

This is a long-term work in progress and things will likely get much worse if current conditions are worrying you. Just wait until the player purge begins. I'm conversely looking most forward to that.

I agree Gump

I am not sure we aren't capable of hitting a playoff spot but everything would have to go right health wise (whoops) and our goaltending would have to be middle of the pack or better (nope). We are not good enough to overcome these obstacles at this point.

Assuming any trade would be lateral (receiving equal value back) I don't see any quick fixes that jump out at me. We went out and got one of the top available centers in free agency and a top 3rd line asset and how is that working out for us so far?

Patience is the only controllable variable for me and I am better this year then last.

Libertyhaze

Jan 10, 2013
Vancouver
I think its officially time olli took everyone out for big mac meals
ollibigmac.gif

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I agree. Though I think some people just expected far too much; cue the complaining. This team is realistically years away from truly contending and I'm just personally planning to enjoy the process until we get there.

And I agree with your earlier thoughts about the expectations of the team as well. I think we are a little closer than you I guess, and have a few more guys I would like to keep, but I agree with your comments.

This team on paper still isn't a contender, and at best it's going to be a few years until they are.

Knowing that this team is still very much a work in progress, the fact that we pretty much played two contenders (Pens and Bruins) pretty even isn't something that I think is worth raging about.

Sure we lost, and losses always suck, and this is professional hockey and these guys are paid to win, yada, yada, yada. But the other guys on the ice are also paid to win. And looking at the rosters that we are playing night after night, our roster just doesn't always stack up.

Look at the Kings. I would love to see how some of the children on this board would handle being a Kings fan this year. They have essentially the same team that won the cup, and are 1 point ahead of the Jets, who in the opinion of some people here must be the worst team in the history of hockey. Who would Jets complainers find to throw under the bus if they were Kings fans this year?

Hansen Brother

Jul 30, 2011
In TO, from Keystone
Does anyone know what percentage of goals against us have come off of tipped shots?

Personally Pavs looks like he's getting it together. I have to put the first two goals on our defence (not getting position on their guys) and the powerplay to set up the third was also on the defence.

I don't think we need a wholesale change of our core. Some adjustments will have to be made along the way.

All in all I know we aren't going to win it this year. I'm here to enjoy the process of watching this team get shaped into a winner. Given this is basically year 3 of a complete rebuild I think we're doing ok. If we aren't showing major improvement in 2 seasons I'll start calling for someone's head.

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
And I agree with your earlier thoughts about the expectations of the team as well. I think we are a little closer than you I guess, and have a few more guys I would like to keep, but I agree with your comments.

This team on paper still isn't a contender, and at best it's going to be a few years until they are.

Knowing that this team is still very much a work in progress, the fact that we pretty much played two contenders (Pens and Bruins) pretty even isn't something that I think is worth raging about.

Sure we lost, and losses always suck, and this is professional hockey and these guys are paid to win, yada, yada, yada. But the other guys on the ice are also paid to win. And looking at the rosters that we are playing night after night, our roster just doesn't always stack up.

Look at the Kings. I would love to see how some of the children on this board would handle being a Kings fan this year. They have essentially the same team that won the cup, and are 1 point ahead of the Jets, who in the opinion of some people here must be the worst team in the history of hockey. Who would Jets complainers find to throw under the bus if they were Kings fans this year?

Regarding the last part of your post:

I always find it fascinating how a team that was so dominant in the playoffs can get off to such a bad start with essentially the same roster. It shows just how much of a mental game this is. Hockey isn't a constant, it's ever changing and shifting and you always see it in situations like this or with players like Ovechkin that drop off and fluctuate in production.

Hopefully that new sports psychologist can earn his/her wage in Winnipeg as I think it's really critical to be in the right frame of mind.

Prot

Sep 21, 2011
This team is definitely good enough to reach the playoffs. But hitting the basement of this league isn't good enough.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
A lot of people are still asking for certain players to get traded that I really believe would come back to haunt us. That being said there is a little cluster of players that seem just about interchangeable with a pile of players in the league right now.

I will say though I bet Pav's is getting sick of seeing Hainsey's ass in his face. I know I would. That arse has scored more goals than Hainsey's stick.

I'm not content with this season at all... as some of you are suggesting we should be. But my problem is that we are going -backwards- in some regards, and I see us having strategic/coaching related issues in the VERY same areas we did over a year ago.

The way you handle a team CAN change from month to month. (IE: Power play, Penalty Kill, breakout, board management, physically, emotional control, penalties, etc)

I always said I like some of what Noel has done but personally out of ALL the personnel moves we mention on this forum, the first thing I'd do is get on the phone with Dale Hunter.

I want a guy who will fine/sit a player for acting like an idiot. Or will tell a guy he isn't playing tonight because he doesn't buy into the system. As a result of this season at this point if I were Noel, I'd start to worry. That's just me.

There's a pile of players that aren't going anywhere trade wise, so love 'em or hate 'em, we got 'em. But Noel doesn't have that luxury and there is VERY little coaching wise that I can say this team does well.

I wish it weren't so... truly, but trying the same thing over and over and expecting -different- results is truly the definition of insanity.

Great post. Interesting that poni is a 1st line player on a top team, but couldnt play here. This jet roster is much deeper and much more talented than most people think.

WillyLindstrom

Feb 19, 2010
Time to blow it up

In a short season you cannot afford a slow start! Since the Jets have started slowly the best plan is to turn as many players into picks and prospects so this cycle of mediocricy does not continue. By the time the Jets are good in 2 or 3 years Little, Byfuglien, Pavelec,Enstrom,Hainsay,Montoya,Wellwood and Clitsome will be gone via free agency,waivers so lets get what we can for them now and fall to the cellar to get Mackinnon or Jones to truly build a team around. This finishing 20th to 25 th all the time gets you mediocre prospects and guarantees a future similar to the Leafs where you are never totally awful but also never a playoff team.

alchemyindex

vereor nox
Jan 20, 2013
Winnipeg
In a short season you cannot afford a slow start! Since the Jets have started slowly the best plan is to turn as many players into picks and prospects so this cycle of mediocricy does not continue. By the time the Jets are good in 2 or 3 years Little, Byfuglien, Pavelec,Enstrom,Hainsay,Montoya,Wellwood and Clitsome will be gone via free agency,waivers so lets get what we can for them now and fall to the cellar to get Mackinnon or Jones to truly build a team around. This finishing 20th to 25 th all the time gets you mediocre prospects and guarantees a future similar to the Leafs where you are never totally awful but also never a playoff team.

I think TNSE will know how to deal, whether it be with changing coaching or moving pieces here and there. But not this. Never this.

Waldo

May 27, 2002
Winnipeg
Visit site
I wish we could have won, but I was happy with our play. I thought everyone competed hard and I saw some things that made me happy.

Burmi and Kane played well together. It was nice to see Kane break his goal scoring drought and it was great to Burmi rewarded with a goal and an assist. Both of those goals were scored from the toughs area in front of the goal. I've noticed that Burmi has evolved from playing on the periphery and he and Kane are battling in the hard areas. Maybe Burmi will start putting up points. He's been our best forward for awhile but wasn't getting rewarded. Maybe Kane and Burmi will carry the offense over the next road trip.

I definitely like our defense. I've noticed a considerable improvement moving the puck out. I used to hold my breath anytime they tried a pass to another player in the D zone. I see fewer turnovers and some nice touch passing. I'm really happy with Postma and Redmond. Our D would be awesome if we had some forwards who can score. They are tidying up their defensive play and still have awesome offensive potential. I'm drooling over Trouba and how good they will be when he arrives.

I'll be happy when Mittens gets into the lineup and replaces Wellwood who has been extremely soft. Mittens can add some skill and secondary scoring if he plays up to his ability.

I want the Jets to play hard and challenge for a playoff spot. We are falling behind the pack and need to go on a run to get back in the race, but it seems we are more likely to be in the race for a top 5 pick. It's a win/win situation. Whichever way it goes I'll be happy as long as they play as hard and as they did against Pitts and Boston.

I don't get the Chevy hate. He's doing what he said he would be doing. Patience is req'd. The upcoming draft will have a major impact on our future and we won't be seeing any impact for a few years after that. I'm happy with the moves he has made. It's too bad Poni didn't work out. He played very well for NJ but was a bust for us. Joki hasn't made much of an impact but he still may. It seemed like a good signing at the time.

I also don't care for the Noel hate either. He can only work with the talent at his disposal and we all know what a ******up season this is because of the lockout. I'm seeing steady progress but we don't have the horses to be any more than a bubble team at this time. I did think we would be a better team but we are what we are. I'm still happy to have a team and can enjoy watching them develop. You need to focus on the good things and keep everything in perspective. Better times are ahead.

Last edited:

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
I think the first change this team needs is to get rid of Pearn. Won't win many games with the worst special teams in the league.

jetkarma*

Fail to see how be being accurate is saying the sky is falling... sure some may react that way but to paint any poster who realistically ( some may think pessimistically ) reviews how the team is playing , their record and the probabilities for this season as not glowing isn't wrong imo.

We have issues and challenges and we are methodically working on those. I did not expect the playoffs this year , a possibility? sure...likely? not in my opinion. Next year? I expect to make the playoffs... to me three years is enough to have that expectation. Saying that , of course doesn't mean it will happen. I want progress overall , pointing towards being a real SC contender that can win multiple series and hopefully more at some point in the not to distant future.

We didn't play bad , but the teams that make the playoffs win a fair percentage of the last 4 games we have lost at home.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
First of all, I admit I act like a whiny little baby when the Jets lose. I am so competitive, and so passionate about this team it just kills me when we lose, so being on a 2-7 streak right now is extremely hard to take.

However, in the light of day, I still see a lot to love about this team. I still see a team that I pegged to make the playoffs this year. Is part of that optimism? **** yeah! I am a Jets fan, and my philosophy is to back your team and believe in them. That is not a jab at people who don't share my enthusiasm with the team. It's just the way I have always been.

I still maintain that if we had average goaltending, this team would be right in the hunt and we'd be pretty satisfied with what the Jets have done to this point.

Unfortunately we haven't had good goaltending. Now we are faced with a long roadtrip. I do believe that this team is playing quite well right now and have turned things around. Here are my worries:

- Long road trip
- Guys losing faith cause they are playing hard and following the system but still losing
- Goaltending won't improve enough to help us win (especially on the PK)
- Wheeler and Jokinen. These guys are not doing enough to help us win.
- How long Enstrom is out.

It's not over, not by a long shot, but in 2 weeks time we will know a lot about our fate this season. If we can keep our head above water and somehow get 12 -14 points out of this next 10 games, then I think we will make the playoffs.

The tough part will be the first half, where we play some tougher teams. If we do well there, and show determination in the back half, we might just do it.

It's a very tall order, that's for sure.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Jets have dropped 5 spots to 27th in the ESPN NHL power rankings, here's what they said this week about the Jets:

"The Jets rank last in the league on the penalty kill, have lost three in a row and appear headed nowhere ... again."

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
They'll get there Im sure. They just need to get rid of Pearn and find somebody that can implement a good hard hitting aggressive PP system.

Also...

These guys need to start hitting the ****ing net for ****s sake!

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Brog. Mod.

Think Pav's is a big part of the Jets poor record, signing him to his latest contract may have been a bit premature.

Took one and half seasons but I can clearly say Enstrom is our best D man by a large margin.

Jonkin looks like a guy playing out his last NHL contract.

Prot

Sep 21, 2011
Brog. Mod.

Think Pav's is a big part of the Jets poor record, signing him to his latest contract may have been a bit premature.

Took one and half seasons but I can clearly say Enstrom is our best D man by a large margin.

Jonkin looks like a guy playing out his last NHL contract.

So let's go back in time.... -Shazzzaaam-

The Jet's don't sign Pav.... Some one else does.. perhaps a more defensively minded team. Pav's end up smoking us a few times, and then here we are *****ing about 'Why didn't we sign Pav'... blah blah blah.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
So let's go back in time.... -Shazzzaaam-

The Jet's don't sign Pav.... Some one else does.. perhaps a more defensively minded team. Pav's end up smoking us a few times, and then here we are *****ing about 'Why didn't we sign Pav'... blah blah blah.

Pavs has never been a fundamentally sound goalie, some guys never do get there, just saying.

PS name one team in the NHL that could use Pavs right now

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I think the first change this team needs is to get rid of Pearn. Won't win many games with the worst special teams in the league.

Agree, bringing him has only made things worse, the Jets bench looks crowded with 4 coaches standing there. Like when teams have two guys behind the bench and a third and/ or fourth in the press box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad