Rumor: Three teams interested in Petry

Status
Not open for further replies.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Lol you literally just got paid to take Petry and you think you’re going to turn around and flip him for 2 high 2nds? I repeat, lol.

You need to take a few things into account : Petry (with retention) and Desmith are carrying a cap hit of 6.5m, assuming a Pitlick equivalent would go the other way, it is a 5.4m cap hit. 5 teams in the NHL could take on that salary. Among those 7 teams 4 are in the East, so CHI NSH ANA could be assumed to have been on the NtC. Those 3 exl MTL are DET and BUF which both have signed their full D Corp this offseason and PHI with whom I assume PIT would not like to tüdeal that much.

I think MTL was quite a lone candidate to take this 5.4m hit. Not sure it says a lot about Petry s value at 2.3m in itself.

Reactions: barbu

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
You need to take a few things into account : Petry (with retention) and Desmith are carrying a cap hit of 6.5m, assuming a Pitlick equivalent would go the other way, it is a 5.4m cap hit. 5 teams in the NHL could take on that salary. Among those 7 teams 4 are in the East, so CHI NSH ANA could be assumed to have been on the NtC. Those 3 exl MTL are DET and BUF which both have signed their full D Corp this offseason and PHI with whom I assume PIT would not like to tüdeal that much.

I think MTL was quite a lone candidate to take this 5.4m hit. Not sure it says a lot about Petry s value at 2.3m in itself.
Take into account 50% retention on top of 25% retention by Pittsburg and you have a very marketable asset

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
That's if they really want to move Petry. When the reality is more...i'm sure teams will kick tires on him, but the Habs don't have any particular reason to move him if they don't like the deal or don't think it's worth tying up that retention slot.

They could very easily just hang onto him as a solid veteran mentor. Or just wait for the deadline when someone might ante up their offer for him to make more sense, or make the retention more worthwhile for a bigger return.
Doubt Hughes would trade for Petry if he thought he was unmovable. He's going to know the trade market for Petry as he just traded him.

So many rumours they trying to move Petry, it's likely true. Not for sure but sounds like it.

I wouldn't mind retaining on Petry if we could get more

Jul 6, 2016
Literally, the only reason why Detroit is interested is if Chiarot goes the other way and that is most likely not happening because that would just be too good for Detroit.

Also, not sure if I would even want Petry. I know he has been linked to rumors with Detroit in the past, but idk how he is linked to us at this point. Where are they getting their information from? Because Yzerman doesn't let anyone talk inside the organization.
MTL certainly doesn't need Chiarot. Detroit can trade him somwhere else IF they want to have and keep Petry.

Could be a nice addition for Dallas at 50%.
OR
Petry for Marchment.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
What reports? All I've seen is wishful thinking from the fans, for a better return. There are no reports.

What?
Engels form sports net discussed it with Tony Marinaro TVA (French sports net).

Pagnotta reported it.

Chris Johnston also talked about it.

That's 1 legit insider in CJ, a B rate insider, and a Montreal beat reporter for Sportsnet + A French sportsnet reporter.

That's a lot of reports for him getting moved and one of them reported Dallas but they'd need the Habs to retain half. So it's been discussed him being moved at 50%.

Reactions: BLONG7

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
not to go off topic but the talk about the sabers possibly being interested in Petry, I started looking at what a trade could look like and boy was I impressed with their drafting. Sabers could be a damn good team in a few years.

I hope they are smart and build the team the right way (I haven't paid much attention to them in long, long time, no offense as it's more about my team sucking as I hate to watch them lose) on the other hand as a rival (as a long time Hab fan it feels odd as I can't recall the last time I really hated the sabers due to beating the Habs) I'm hoping they overpay and we get something good for Petry + whatever as I do like most of Hughes's trades so far.

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
What?
Engels form sports net discussed it with Tony Marinaro TVA (French sports net).

Pagnotta reported it.

Chris Johnston also talked about it.

That's 1 legit insider in CJ, a B rate insider, and a Montreal beat reporter for Sportsnet + A French sportsnet reporter.

That's a lot of reports for him getting moved and one of them reported Dallas but they'd need the Habs to retain half. So it's been discussed him being moved at 50%.
They said that IF they retained that they'd get more, nothing is saying that they WILL retain. Willing to bet Hughes doesn't.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007

They didn’t take a 5.4 cap hit, they send Hoffman the other way.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Doubt Hughes would trade for Petry if he thought he was unmovable. He's going to know the trade market for Petry as he just traded him.

So many rumours they trying to move Petry, it's likely true. Not for sure but sounds like it.

I wouldn't mind retaining on Petry if we could get more

It's funny how rumours swirl now, but none of these guys speculated petry to Montreal in the first place.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Showcase Petry and trade him at the TDL.
GM's know who Petry is..............you don't have to showcase a 35-36 yr old RD man......
He is as good as gone..............it's just a matter of time.....still nothing from either camp, so there is a deal being worked on for sure.
The value goes up the more the Habs retain..............Petry at 2.3M is a big time bargain.

Last edited:
Reactions: zeeto

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Not necessarily. Do the Habs want to tie up one of their valuable retention slots on him for 2-years to make that work though? That's the other question. They've already burned one of those slots on Edmundson for the year. They're going to want options for retention to use at the deadline.
once the season starts we're back at 3 retention slots so Edmundson wont count this season

Last edited:

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
once the season starts we're back at 3 retention slots so Edmundson wont count this season
Wrong. Edmundson counts as a retention slot until his contract expires at the end of the 23-24 season. This is the reason that Hughes has been reluctant to retain on multi-year contracts -- the retention eats up one of the three slots until the contract expires.

ML16

Aug 28, 2020
Montreal
Showcase Petry and trade him at the TDL.

If the Habs can’t leverage at least a 2024 2nd round pick, might as well keep Petry until injuries within contending teams create new opportunities.

At this moment, the only window I see would be bypassing Petry’s reluctance to play in Edmonton by trading him for another RHD who doesn’t have control on his destination and would end up with the Oilers in another three-way deal.

For instance:

Petry (50%) vs Hakanpaa + DAL 2024 2nd
Hakanpaa vs EDM 2025 3rd

Reactions: Zapp

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Wrong. Edmundson counts as a retention slot until his contract expires at the end of the 23-24 season. This is the reason that Hughes has been reluctant to retain on multi-year contracts -- the retention eats up one of the three slots until the contract expires.

Yeah. This is the thing. The Habs are in a position where it makes sense to try to maximize the utility of those precious retention slots by using them to deal expiring contracts (like Edmundson). So you can retain on 3 guys for a year to get a better trade return. Then cycle through 3 more guys next year for a better trade return.

That's where Petry is a bit more complicated because it's one less player over the next two years that they can retain salary for extra deadline trade value or flexibility moving pieces. Or potentially one less opportunity to act as an "intermediary" retaining salary on someone else's deal.

So if they're gonna retain on a multi-year deal, the return has gotta be worth it to offset that lost utility.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Yeah. This is the thing. The Habs are in a position where it makes sense to try to maximize the utility of those precious retention slots by using them to deal expiring contracts (like Edmundson). So you can retain on 3 guys for a year to get a better trade return. Then cycle through 3 more guys next year for a better trade return.

That's where Petry is a bit more complicated because it's one less player over the next two years that they can retain salary for extra deadline trade value or flexibility moving pieces. Or potentially one less opportunity to act as an "intermediary" retaining salary on someone else's deal.

So if they're gonna retain on a multi-year deal, the return has gotta be worth it to offset that lost utility.
Perhaps its a wiser approach to not enter into those improvident contracts in the first place.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Perhaps its a wiser approach to not enter into those improvident contracts in the first place.

Why not though? They signed that deal, traded it. Got it back with retention. Can now flip it again...or simply choose to keep it. They're in a pretty solid spot with that.

Worst case, you just wait a year and retain on Petry next year as a rental for someone.

ML16

Aug 28, 2020
Montreal

Regarding salary retention spots, the Habs could in principle afford to retain two years on Petry right now considering he’s the expendable asset with the likeliest and best intrinsic trade value within that timeframe.

2023-2024 :

Edmundson
(50%) fetched a 3rd + 7th.

Petry (25% + 50%) could fetch something around 2 x 2nds.

The remaining spot could be used on either DeSmith/Monahan (50%) or, considering they’re both expiring UFAs signed under 2M AAV, it could also be used in a 3-way deal around TDL - whatever generates the most value.

2024-2025 :

Edmundson’s retention is over and opens a spot.

Petry (@ 25%) already fetched something like 2 x 2nds the previous season.

Two of Allen/Armia/Dvorak/Savard* can then be sold with retention in-between offseason and TDL 2024.

*None of these candidates can hope to fetch what Petry @ 25% can; retaining on Armia would be especially wasteful, he won’t generate anything worthwhile. Allen? Maybe a 3rd. Best candidates would thus seem to be Dvorak and Savard.

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad