Rumor: Three teams interested in Petry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Unless we're somehow dumping Chiarot, I don't see how Detroit would be a player here.

Yeah, unless someone else is injured or traded, we already have the top 6. Yzerman just added two vets plus Chiarot from last year, the other 3 spots are also taken. That said, wouldn't complain if Chiarot is moved. Would trade Holl first, but no one wants him and we just signed him so he is going nowhere.

Crazy thing is, the habs with 750 man games lost to injury, had 4 less wins, than your wings.....Interesting eh.....
You could be right, but I like to take a wait and see where the development of certain players go with MSL as their coach....

Cheers.

Wings had a boatload of injuries too. Also, Price doesn't count as man games lost as he is perma LTIR!

Reactions: BLONG7

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
I think BUF make the most sense, they have plenty of cap space the have lot of D but beside there top 3 (Dalhin, Power, Samuelsson ) which are all young and Left handed they don’t really have much Petry is a clear upgrade, plus they have plenty of prospects option to go the other way.

Petry +

Walberg + Strbak
If they were interested they could just have taken him from the pens plus that second round pick

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Casey is an intriguing prospect but there's a pretty steep drop after him to Edwards, Orlov, and Leddy. I'm a lot higher on Casey than most, it's offset by some doubts about Nemec's ceiling, I can imagine a world where Casey runs the top PP rather than Nemec. His size though gives most people doubts, he's actually small than Lane Hutson nowadays.

I'd say the pools (minus Hughes) aren't too far off but it's confusing why the other poster included Trudeau on the same list as legitimate, stud prospects.
In the case of William Trudeau, it was more the very positive evaluation of the defenceman by the coach of the Laval Rocket that opened people's eyes. He said he was the club's most improved player....

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Something around Beauvillier for Petry?

I've love to have Petry as a partner for Hughes. But it's pretty much a guarantee that West Coast Canada is about the last place Petry and his wife would want to be. So it's pretty much a non-starter.

Something Granato said makes me think they will play Dahlin on the left side.

Hmmm...interesting. I hadn't heard anything to that effect. I just assumed that duo was going to be locked in because it clearly works. But i can see why that might be the case. Coaches always want to try to "balance" the pairings. Seems silly to me not to go with a pairing that works super well and has helped bring the best out of Dahlin, just because you don't like having one guy play his off side, even when they're clearly comfortable with it.

Reactions: Jacob582

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
I fail to see how we could trade Petry for any decent return during the same summer Pittsburgh had to pay to get rid of him, while also being stuck with the same NTC list. At best additional retention could fetch a small return.

But Petry is a quality defenseman and a decent half a year could really turn this on a dime. He could fetch a good return at the trade deadline. That is what I hope happens.

Reactions: Habs 4 ever

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Dallas must have 2.4m in caproom?

Not necessarily. Do the Habs want to tie up one of their valuable retention slots on him for 2-years to make that work though? That's the other question. They've already burned one of those slots on Edmundson for the year. They're going to want options for retention to use at the deadline.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I think BUF make the most sense, they have plenty of cap space the have lot of D but beside there top 3 (Dalhin, Power, Samuelsson ) which are all young and Left handed they don’t really have much Petry is a clear upgrade, plus they have plenty of prospects option to go the other way.

Petry +

Walberg + Strbak

Lol you literally just got paid to take Petry and you think you’re going to turn around and flip him for 2 high 2nds? I repeat, lol.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
As per Eric Engels (from Sportsnet but at Marinaro podcast), Buffalo and Detroit have interest in the 35 yo RHD.

TSN (Chris Johnston) says Dallas are interested, but would ask MTL to retain 50%.

I guess the return won't be very big.

If 50% retained, might be a little more.

Without retaining, I guess maybe a conditional 2025 3rd (that become a 2nd if team makes playoffs or something like that)

If retained maybe a 2nd and a b prospect.
Petry for Chiarot.

• Haha
Reactions: Kaiden Ghoul

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I fail to see how we could trade Petry for any decent return during the same summer Pittsburgh had to pay to get rid of him, while also being stuck with the same NTC list. At best additional retention could fetch a small return.

But Petry is a quality defenseman and a decent half a year could really turn this on a dime. He could fetch a good return at the trade deadline. That is what I hope happens.
Reports are, they are offering him at 50% reduction, so Petry at 2.3M is a crazy bargain as vs the Pens paying to get rid of him at 6.25M...
Stay tuned...

Reactions: montreal

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Lol you literally just got paid to take Petry and you think you’re going to turn around and flip him for 2 high 2nds? I repeat, lol.
Context changes things, petry at 6 or 5 or whatever the penguins are offering is not the same as Petry at 2.5.

Find me a better defenseman at a lower cap whose available. We’ve seen over the last couple years that the players who can be gotten on value contracts have significantly higher value to GM’s. Jeannot being the most recent example. The return will be contingent on what the retention is

Reactions: BLONG7 and viceroy

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Not necessarily. Do the Habs want to tie up one of their valuable retention slots on him for 2-years to make that work though? That's the other question. They've already burned one of those slots on Edmundson for the year. They're going to want options for retention to use at the deadline.
Habs going to have to if they really want to move Petry. Or they agree to take bad contract back. Caproom tight all around the league. Unless you want to pay an arm and leg to rent caproom.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
"east" means different things to different people as well,

We're thinking of east and west coast in conferences not geography

View attachment 735330
Is anyone seriously gonna tell me that the Blackhawks, Blues and Nashville wouldn't meet that East coast criteria more then Detroit or CBJ? He probably just doesn't want to be a 4hr+ flight for his parents too there grandchildren.

I'd wager his 15 team list was
Van, CGY, EDM, WPG, Ott, Tor, SEA, SJS, LA, ANA, VGK, ARI, COL, MINN, and IDK Buff or DAL. He probably deliberately omitted MTL thinking they're was no way they'd trade for him and here we are.

To be honest, I don't think Petry ever disliked playing for Montreal. In fact, I recall him praising the organization a lot. He just despised Ducharme. Which, fair play to him, Ducharme was a goddamn idiot.

I'd also be surprised if Toronto or Ottawa were on his list. Especially Toronto. He seems to want a competitive team.

If it results in a good return. Absolutely.

Sure, there wouldn't be a point if teams only offer a 3rd. On the flipside, if we're getting a 2nd or a prospect, I doubt Hughes cares all that much about a retention slot. We don't have other contracts we can reasonably dump. Dvorak is possibly the only one other teams might have some interest in. Armia is useless even at 50% and nobody is touching Gallagher.

Last edited:
Reactions: BLONG7

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Context changes things, petry at 6 or 5 or whatever the penguins are offering is not the same as Petry at 2.5.

Find me a better defenseman at a lower cap whose available. We’ve seen over the last couple years that the players who can be gotten on value contracts have significantly higher value to GM’s. Jeannot being the most recent example. The return will be contingent on what the retention is
But if the teams showing any interest don’t need the retention, then what?? Value plummets.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
As they should be RHD defenceman don’t come available for cheap that often.

Question is what’s the return gonna be.

50% retention

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Yeah, it's funny how some players will become scapegoats, when they are overpaid, but suddenly, when they become underpaid, there's nothing wrong on the guy anymore. :D

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Habs going to have to if they really want to move Petry. Or they agree to take bad contract back. Caproom tight all around the league. Unless you want to pay an arm and leg to rent caproom.

That's if they really want to move Petry. When the reality is more...i'm sure teams will kick tires on him, but the Habs don't have any particular reason to move him if they don't like the deal or don't think it's worth tying up that retention slot.

They could very easily just hang onto him as a solid veteran mentor. Or just wait for the deadline when someone might ante up their offer for him to make more sense, or make the retention more worthwhile for a bigger return.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
But if the teams showing any interest don’t need the retention, then what?? Value plummets.
It's a salary cap league. If you're not thinking about value for your money, you're doing it wrong.

Petry is still a solid #3 defenseman until he proves otherwise, so there is certainly interest for him at the current retention, and that will only get better if the Habs retain as well.

Nobody's getting a king's ransom for Petry but there is value there. The Habs should wait for the right deal, we're in no hurry.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I can see Buffalo still being interested though I'm not sure they would part with a recent draftee to make it happen. A pick? Sure. They have the cap space so they don't need any further retention.

Reactions: Der Jaeger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad