Series Talk: Those in New England have an announcer choice for Games 1 and 2

Which feed will you watch on Monday and Wednesday?

• NESN ( Jack, Andy, Sophia and the gang in Watertown)

Votes: 49 63.6%
  • ESPN ( Sean McDonough, Ray Ferraro, Emily Kaplan and in Bristol, CT Levy, Messier, Chelios )

Votes: 25 32.5%
  • Rogers Sportsnet

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • TVAS (French)

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Studio: Steve Levy, Mark Messier, Chris Chelios

Yeah, that’s the biggest issue. I’m not sure what in the world ESPN was thinking on some of their on air personalities. It’s like they realized a few days before launch that they were ten personalities short and threw darts at big hockey names and offered them air time. I don’t even really dislike Messier and Chelios for anything they say. It’s that they have zero experience and have zero confidence. Pretty sure Messier got caught bullshitting on air when he said he talked to Bruce Cassidy who said Taylor Hall was more comfortable at center with Haula on the wing.

McDonough on lead PbP makes me consider watching ESPN during gameplay. Ferraro just sort of exists to me, and doesn’t sway me in one way or the other.

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
So ESPN is not being blacked out in our area? I have to go with ESPN in that case. I have YTTV so I don't have NESN. Watching Bruins games by "other" means has been a minor pain this season so while the ESPN broadcast has its faults it is the better option for me.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Yeah, that’s the biggest issue. I’m not sure what in the world ESPN was thinking on some of their on air personalities. It’s like they realized a few days before launch that they were ten personalities short and threw darts at big hockey names and offered them air time. I don’t even really dislike Messier and Chelios for anything they say. It’s that they have zero experience and have zero confidence. Pretty sure Messier got caught bullshitting on air when he said he talked to Bruce Cassidy who said Taylor Hall was more comfortable at center with Haula on the wing.

McDonough on lead PbP makes me consider watching ESPN during gameplay. Ferraro just sort of exists to me, and doesn’t sway me in one way or the other.
He knows his stuff, interesting to see if being a former 40 goal scorer for the Whalers comes into play.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Probably a game where I'll see how long I last on one channel before checking out the other. May also depend on whether they're winning or losing.
Tough call either way. Jack is a clown and I hate hearing the planned bits he pretends are spur of the moment. But ESPN's camera angles f***ing suck so bad. It makes the sport nearly unwatchable. I think I'll watch the NESN feed but put on the stadium setting on the sound bar and just listen to the crowd noise...

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Don't love any of the options. I almost wish my French was much, much better. Don't like Jack, and he is losing it. Between Ferraro and the great studio guys on Espn I would be sickened by the anti-Bruin flu. Rogers might be ok, but it is anti-Bruin. Edit : Trip Tracy is utterly nauseating on the Canes feed. I have nightmares with he, Jack, and Edzo in the same booth.
Trip Tracy is on leave.

I have no choice, so it’s ESPN.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Any chance I get to watch a game without listening to Jack, I take it --- even though the alternative isn't significantly better, I don't have the deep-seeded dislike and frustration that I have for Jack.

Reactions: jgatie

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
just woke up this morning to discover that ESPN+ won't be carrying the NESN feeds in round 1 (I'm in Colorado). This really sucks. I guess I'll be pirating NESN streams in round 1. TNT I can stomach, but the ESPN coverage has been absolutely atrocious this year. NESN is way better, even if Jack is way past his prime.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
NESN and its not close. Jack is a homer, duh, he's a local play by play guy. That complaint is played out, go sip your tea during polo or something lol

But if you listen, the guy is low key smart as hell regarding other team's players, style of play, and his call on the pace of play is pretty spot on most nights.

Especially during playoffs, where emotion is at its highest, I want someone who's going to match the emotion on the ice. Not the monotone stiffs who persistently ball wash the other side.

I only wish he would have done a separate broadcast in 2011, I would of loved to of heard his call in SCF game 7.

I try not to think about a style. I just try to stay in the moment as much as I can. I still get emotional — and sometimes overly emotional — during a telecast and sometimes I look at the air-check and think, ‘wow, I was kind of over the top there.’ I hesitate to rein myself in, because it’s when I’m feeling the emotions in the arena and feeling the emotions of the players in my own excitement for the game — both positively and negatively — that I really feel most a part of the broadcast. It feels most organic to me that way.

Last edited:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
NESN and its not close. Jack is a homer, duh, he's a local play by play guy. That complaint is played out, go sip your tea during polo or something lol

But if you listen, the guy is low key smart as hell regarding other team's players, style of play, and his call on the pace of play is pretty spot on most nights.

Especially during playoffs, where emotion is at its highest, I want someone who's going to match the emotion on the ice. Not the monotone stiffs who persistently ball wash the other side.

I only wish he would have done a separate broadcast in 2011, I would of loved to of heard his call in SCF game 7.

I disagree entirely. His whole act is contrived and aside from the personal stuff about the players, I don't think he's very knowledgeable about the game at all. He is good at remembering names and numbers though.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

Couldn't care less about his homerism, I grew up with Derek and Johnny Most. My problem with Jack Edwards and his schtick is he makes the game all about Jack Edwards and his schtick, and I like the game to be about hockey.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Have hardly been able to watch NESN this year because Center Ice has been showing the other feed 95% of the time.

I haven't really missed it to be honest.
I have CI and I have been able to watch the NESN broadcasts for almost all the games on CI. Does your cable company limit the channels available?

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
I have CI and I have been able to watch the NESN broadcasts for almost all the games on CI. Does your cable company limit the channels available?
I think Dish has had a beef with Regional Networks this year... I'm on the Bruins home channel but it still shows the opponent feed 95% of the time.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Tough call either way. Jack is a clown and I hate hearing the planned bits he pretends are spur of the moment. But ESPN's camera angles f***ing suck so bad. It makes the sport nearly unwatchable. I think I'll watch the NESN feed but put on the stadium setting on the sound bar and just listen to the crowd noise...
How do you do this? For the home games I absolutely would do this as well without play by play.

Reactions: LSCII

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad