Movies: Thor: Ragnarok

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
As others have said, it's got a real GotG feel to it, which I dig. I love the placement of Immigrant Song on the trailer too.

Looks fun and the villain actually looks like a threat to the good guys.

I didn't know black-haired dominatrix Cate Blanchett in skin-tight spandex was something that my life needed but apparently it is.

Same

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Wow, over 12 million views in about 24 hours and just on Marvel's own channel. :amazed: Way more hype than the previous Thor films. Led Zeppelin's "Immigrant Song" has also seen increased viewings.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Wasn't really a huge fan of the first two Thor movies but this one looks pretty awesome

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Don't know if it was mentioned in the thread, but the fact that this movie's directed by "What We Do In The Shadows" co-creator/director Taika Waititi bodes real well for the comedy factor. That movie was fantastic.

its just a trailer. marvels movies are usually solid. planet hulk. whats not to love? :laugh:

IIRC, the poster in question also believes Linkin Park and Blink 182 were good.

Context.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
For someone close to 50 Cate Blanchett is still damn fine.

and she has popped out 5 kids and it wasnt till someone point out who she was i went holy......

0002509873283273432343-600x400.jpg

JA

Whichever firm cut this trailer did one hell of a good job.

The trailer gives us some bombastic, bold, beautiful visuals and, paired with the right choice of music, really overwhelms the senses. From an aesthetic point of view, this trailer hits all of the right notes. It doesn't reveal the story, but hints at a few specific plot points that probably take place in the first half of the film -- only enough to give us a sense of the film's premise; we are introduced to two subplots and there isn't an obvious connection between them at this point.

Outside of the punchline at the end, the entire trailer is quite intense and up-tempo. "Immigrant Song" is an excellent choice to accompany the visuals; it's heavy and fearsome, and its subject matter makes it a perfect fit for this promotional piece. The tone of the trailer becomes more aggressive due to its incorporation. It is the type of thunderous song that an athlete or a soldier would use to psyche themselves up.

Thor: The Dark World was bogged down by the stupidity of its plot and a lack of seriousness; the film didn't take itself seriously enough and felt like a comedy. This trailer strikes the right tone, and if the trailer is reflective of the film's tone, this is going to be far different. The film can feature gags, but there should also be a sense of peril and a tense tone. There should be suspense and some moments should be sublime in the aesthetic sense (see: sublime (philosophy)).

Frankly, it's a better trailer than any I've seen since the final The Force Awakens preview. It packs a punch.

I don't agree at all with those who say the choice of music is reminiscent of Guardians of the Galaxy. The choice of music is indicative of the tone of the films. The Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack is comprised of mid-1970s pop recordings, and the tone of that franchise matches the tone of the music. This is rock. This is what pumps people up for action.

Last edited by a moderator:

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Whichever firm cut this trailer did one hell of a good job.

The trailer gives us some bombastic, bold, beautiful visuals and, paired with the right choice of music, really overwhelms the senses. From an aesthetic point of view, this trailer hits all of the right notes. It doesn't reveal the story, but hints at a few specific plot points that probably take place in the first half of the film -- only enough to give us a sense of the film's premise; we are introduced to two subplots and there isn't an obvious connection between them at this point.

Outside of the punchline at the end, the entire trailer is quite intense and up-tempo. "Immigrant Song" is an excellent choice to accompany the visuals; it's heavy and fearsome, and its subject matter makes it a perfect fit for this promotional piece. The tone of the trailer becomes more aggressive due to its incorporation. It is the type of thunderous song that an athlete or a soldier would use to psyche themselves up.

Thor: The Dark World was bogged down by the stupidity of its plot and a lack of seriousness; the film didn't take itself seriously enough and felt like a comedy. This trailer strikes the right tone, and if the trailer is reflective of the film's tone, this is going to be far different. The film can feature gags, but there should also be a sense of peril and a tense tone. There should be suspense and some moments should be sublime in the aesthetic sense (see: sublime (philosophy)).

Frankly, it's a better trailer than any I've seen since the final The Force Awakens preview. It packs a punch.

I don't agree at all with those who say the choice of music is reminiscent of Guardians of the Galaxy. The choice of music is indicative of the tone of the films. The Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack is comprised of mid-1970s pop recordings, and the tone of that franchise matches the tone of the music. This is rock. This is what pumps people up for action.

that's actually funny as it was the first thing I thought when I watched the trailer but in regards to *how the whole trailer was put together. absolutely nothing wrong with that but it is honestly the first thing that popped in my head but I didn't feel the necessity to write about it on here.

Last edited:

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I guess you're new to Youtube reactors? :laugh: They really don't hold back on their nerdgasms. I mean just look at Kevin Smith reaction I posted earlier.

yup, they sure pander to the camera and are pretty forceful about it. Like watching a five year old in the body/mind of a late 20s man :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad