TSN: Thomas Vanek (50% retained) traded to Florida for 2017 3rd RD pick +Dylan McIlrath

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
I don't get why there are still some people up in arms over the Vanek return. We should be relieved we got at least something, considering a couple months ago like 99% of HFwings were fearful Holland would stand pat.

Was I hoping for more? Sure, but the thing is regardless of return, this team is no better off until those picks are made. To blatantly steal from GI Joe, collecting picks is only half the battle.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
4 assists by Vanek tonight. And the game isn't over yet!

really wish we got more than a 3rd for him.

But if the Panthers make the playoffs, at least we get a VERY early 3rd rounder from ARI

I like seeing former wings do well, even if they were only here for half a season like vanek

Vanek played great for us. Good shooter. He also was a great passer, setting up many plays. He was borderline our best player (only outshined by Z). So i am not surprised he had a great night tonight.
Even if our general plan is rebuilding for next year... Really wish we could resign Vanek on a 1 year deal. Seems his reputation might make that a possibility.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
When Vanek is your best player it really doesn't matter if you sign Vanek or not. If he deosn't mind a cheap one year deal so he can be traded again its cool. If its more than one year no thanks.

Start bringing in some of the players you draft and let them develop in the NHL. Plug the roster once you have an actual core.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
When Vanek is your best player it really doesn't matter if you sign Vanek or not. If he deosn't mind a cheap one year deal so he can be traded again its cool. If its more than one year no thanks.

Start bringing in some of the players you draft and let them develop in the NHL. Plug the roster once you have an actual core.

Bringing players up to the NHL for the sake of having kids in the NHL isn't necessarily good for development. If you think rushing all of our future prospects will be beneficial so be it.

We have one guy not on our team that is seemingly a core piece moving forward, maybe Hicketts or Vili will shoot the moon and join Svech, but idk bout all that. Svech is having a great 2017 so far but I'm not so sure calling him up at all this year is the best decision. Sure our season is lost and it would be great to see him, but I'd hate to see his confidence get killed before he can put on a show in the Calder Cup playoffs, sometimes having a killer AHL season is better for you than coming up and struggling in the NHL your first season as a pro.

Not to say I think we should litter the roster with is washed up players, but signings like Vanek are great for a team trying to become relevant again.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Not disagreeing, as long as there is room on the roster and we are not overbaking. I think a year or 2 in the AHL is fine but I hope the days of 4-5 years in the AHL are behind us. If they are taking that long to develop signs are they are not a core player anyway. The roster is pretty crowded with Helm, Sheahan, Abby, Zetterberg, Nyquist, Tartar, Mantha, Larkin. Would be nice to have some slots for drafted players to develop in the NHL instead of routinely inserting plugs into empty slots.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Florida with Vanek:

3 wins, 1 OT win, 1 OT loss, 11 losses
0.281 points percentage (NHL worst since deadline)

Detroit without Vanek:
2 wins, 4 OT/SO wins, 1 SO loss, 8 losses
0.433 points percentage

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Florida with Vanek:

Detroit without Vanek:
0.433 points percentage

I don't think it's vaneks fault Florida has sucked

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Florida with Vanek:

Detroit without Vanek:
0.433 points percentage

And here i was advocating Blashill as our tankcommander, when infact Vanek was truly the one leading the tank division into victory this whole time. he's doing heck of a job in Florida i must say, wings might somehow pass them with this pace.

Definitley gonna need Vanek to come back next season to lead the tank divison to a decisive victory in 2018 and land Dahlin/svechnikov.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008

But he wasn't. Zetterberg was our best player this year.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Even if Vanek came back for another 1 yr deal, he'd only be able to net like a 5th-6th rder next trade deadline after this debacle.

But he wasn't. Zetterberg was our best player this year.

For the first half of the season I'd say Vanek was our best offensive player. There was one point in time where he was nearly a p/g like 30 games in and no one on the team was close to that. Overall and considering the whole year it's clearly Z though with his 2nd half tear.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Even if Vanek came back for another 1 yr deal, he'd only be able to net like a 5th-6th rder next trade deadline after this debacle.

For the first half of the season I'd say Vanek was our best offensive player. There was one point in time where he was nearly a p/g like 30 games in and no one on the team was close to that. Overall and considering the whole year it's clearly Z though with his 2nd half tear.

What debacle?

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
What debacle?

Oh, I don't know? Maybe having 9 pts and a -6 in 16 games while the team that traded for you collapses out of any playoff hopes... Meanwhile, you already clearly had a **** poor reputation as a playoff rental and thus received low value on the market as was. That debacle.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Oh, I don't know? Maybe having 9 pts and a -6 in 16 games while the team that traded for you collapses out of any playoff hopes... Meanwhile, you already clearly had a **** poor reputation as a playoff rental and thus received low value on the market as was. That debacle.

Plus/minus has always been a **** poor metric to judge a player by as its more a testament to team play. You'd need some context, like how does that number compare to the rest of the team over the same span? Also 9 points in 16 games isn't exactly choking. That's a 45-46 point pace which is pretty solid for a complementary top 6 winger which is exactly what Vanek is. If Florida was expecting more than that you can't really blame Vanek for their unrealistic expectations. I'm not saying he's been great, but he certainly hasn't performed like a choker.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008

Pinning their entire collapse on Vanek makes absolutely no sense. Florida hasn't been in the playoffs all season... And you're surprised they missed the playoffs? Vanek wasn't going to be the difference maker.

And 9 points in 16 games isn't bad on a new team. Not great, but not bad either.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Plus/minus has always been a **** poor metric to judge a player by as its more a testament to team play. You'd need some context, like how does that number compare to the rest of the team over the same span? Also 9 points in 16 games isn't exactly choking. That's a 45-46 point pace which is pretty solid for a complementary top 6 winger which is exactly what Vanek is. If Florida was expecting more than that you can't really blame Vanek for their unrealistic expectations. I'm not saying he's been great, but he certainly hasn't performed like a choker.

He had a 4 pt game in there. So realistically it's been 5 pts and -9 in 15 games outside of the one gem. Cut it up anyway you want, the point remains: it doesn't help and likey only feeds into any potential trade value reputation next season - as he's a year older and is unlikely to repeat the hot start he was off to the first half of this season.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Pinning their entire collapse on Vanek makes absolutely no sense. Florida hasn't been in the playoffs all season... And you're surprised they missed the playoffs? Vanek wasn't going to be the difference maker.

And 9 points in 16 games isn't bad on a new team. Not great, but not bad either.

Again, we're talking about a guy who clearly already had **** poor value relative to his numbers. Teams feared him as a deadline acquisition. This year in no way, shape, or form will do anything to help that reputation and likely only hurts it more.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Again, we're talking about a guy who clearly already had **** poor value relative to his numbers. Teams feared him as a deadline acquisition. This year in no way, shape, or form will do anything to help that reputation and likely only hurts it more.

Sucks Florida is losing, our draft pick we get in the deal will be worse now.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Was that Arizona's original pick if they made it? It was almost like a late 2nd if I'm correct. Where is it now?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Might as well just say teams were being silly, though I agree, they'll hold Florida's flop against him, too. The reality is that the majority of deadline acquisitions end up being nothing, and folks seem to forget that.

I guess the plus side is that it will probably drum down interest in him this summer. If Holland brings him back, the contract is more likely to be reasonable.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008

It doesn't help his reputation but I don't see how it hurts it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad