Player Discussion: Thomas Greiss

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I'm not saying Berube should be the starter. Just saying that's a better choice than overpaying Greiss.

Overpaying any player is bad. But what is not clear is what Greiss is worth.

Some opinions in this thread have him at multi year and 4mil plus (with comparables given) as reason.

Other opinions view goalies as interchangeable parts that can be picked up easily and on the cheap.

I think It's too large of a risk to go into next year counting on "moneyballing" two goalies with the expectations of qualifying and competing in the playoffs.

As for Greiss specifically, I believe he is a capable starter and that he is in his 3-5 year prime. I would rather risk a slight overpayment to ensure continuity.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
yhV7h56.jpg

I love Rick DiPietro in this role so much.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
pay greiss what he is worth ...as we know what he is capable of ... haven't we learned with marts , frans, and KO

Exactly. Sometimes I don't get this fan base. Sort of like the grass is always greener type of theory. Greiss is/has been playing great. If you can sign him to a 3/4 yr deal around 4mil he is definitely worth the investment. Most teams are playing their #1 goalie much more than that.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Exactly. Sometimes I don't get this fan base. Sort of like the grass is always greener type of theory. Greiss is/has been playing great. If you can sign him to a 3/4 yr deal around 4mil he is definitely worth the investment. Most teams are playing their #1 goalie much more than that.

Sure, if you can get him for 3 years at 4 mil, do it. That's a good contract. It's also doubtful to be the number. Someone else will likely pay more, and they should move on if that happens. Spend that money on Tavares and a wing for him.

Going higher isn't terrible on a shorter contract. What you don't want to do, which other teams now regret, is give big money and term. Especially to a 31 year old goalie.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Since joining the Islanders, Greiss' Sv% ranks at the top of the charts with the likes of Price, Holtby, and Dubnyk.

What exactly is overpayment for a goalie of that echelon?

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
i couldn't agree with this any more... :sarcasm:

Mein Deutsch sucks these days, but it seems to say "to his friends, he is only Jesus Greiss" and compares his numbers to Kolzig's numbers with Germany's National Team and Greiss' current high numbers in the league.

I haven't used German extensively in 4 years, so perhaps one of our European boardgoers would be able to expand. :)

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Mein Deutsch sucks these days

Kolzig was mentioned because he was the first German #1 goalie with an NHL team and Greiss is the second after Halak was 'sorted out'.

Greiss said he was on the ice as a little boy but was too lazy for skating so they put him in goal.

Keyserfrans

Feb 14, 2015
He has been in USA for hockey the past 10 years, and it hasnt been easy.
If you dont play well, they toss you aside.
The paper states that he's the main reason Isles are still in the playoff race.

Lastly he hope's, he wont make the world cup in may :D

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Sigh. I like Greiss! But why must this organization always rush to re-sign guys during individual hot streaks? Sometimes it makes sense for a team that has trouble attracting UFAs to be pro-active, but more often these Snow specials (Colin McDonald, Brian Strait) end up being more trouble than they're worth once the hot streaks end.

Spybot

May 12, 2014
Sigh. I like Greiss! But why must this organization always rush to re-sign guys during individual hot streaks? Sometimes it makes sense for a team that has trouble attracting UFAs to be pro-active, but more often these Snow specials (Colin McDonald, Brian Strait) end up being more trouble than they're worth once the hot streaks end.

Greiss has been good a fair bit longer than just a couple weeks.

Three years sounds reasonable enough.

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
Mein Deutsch sucks these days, but it seems to say "to his friends, he is only Jesus Greiss" and compares his numbers to Kolzig's numbers with Germany's National Team and Greiss' current high numbers in the league.

I haven't used German extensively in 4 years, so perhaps one of our European boardgoers would be able to expand. :)

"Amis" is short-slang for "Americans."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad