Player Discussion: Thomas Greiss

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Currently 5th in the league in Sv% at .928% and 10th in GAA

To me he has proven he is a #1 and we need to resign this guy already.

2-3 year deal would be ideal IMO. By then Sorokin should be here and then re-evaluate our goalie situation.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Some of you said "he is not starter material" welp, I beg to differ.

Yep I remember a lot of talk before the season that a healthy Halak was better than Thomas Greiss. I wonder where those posters are now...

Greiss has been putting the team on his back once again and has been playing hella good!

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
He needs to be resigned. But you also have to figure out halak.

On top of that, I'm positive Greiss will not resign until the halak situation is resolved. He may not have been the one complaining, but no goalie wants to be one of three.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007

On top of that, I'm positive Greiss will not resign until the halak situation is resolved. He may not have been the one complaining, but no goalie wants to be one of three.

I get what your saying but I really dont think Greiss cares...He helped us win a PO round and is just as much a reason as JT for our sudden resurgence into the PO hunt. He is the starter and Halak is in the minors. Greiss knows hes our starter and not to mention he is the most laid back athlete ive ever seen. Isles have changed his career for him...he was a backup until he came here. Im sure he will show the same faith in us as we have in him and when garth offers him a starting goalie size contract. Plus what other playoff team needs a new goalie besides philly ? I doubt he leaves to go play for arizona or colorado.

Oh and if nothing else materializes I would be beyond shocked if Halak is not bought out in the summer.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
I hope Snow has already started the discussions weeks ago and will hear about the signing very shortly. I was thinking 3 yrs @ $3.5M but the longer Garth waits the longer and more lucrative that contract gets. We basically have to pay someone to take the Halak contract and work out something with Berube to be the backup up until Sorokin comes (if he comes).

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida

Halak isn't coming back to play especially if we have new management.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
I hope Snow has already started the discussions weeks ago and will hear about the signing very shortly. I was thinking 3 yrs @ $3.5M but the longer Garth waits the longer and more lucrative that contract gets. We basically have to pay someone to take the Halak contract and work out something with Berube to be the backup up until Sorokin comes (if he comes).

Maybe Greiss is the one waiting.

islesjuncky

Jun 15, 2014
new york

I think if Griess resigns the halak things been already been solved. No way they bring both back. I HOPE snows not that stupid

islesjuncky

Jun 15, 2014
new york
I'd give him an absolute max of 4 years. But hey snow may offer up 7 years and see if he can get a discount like he loves to do #firesnow

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Yep I remember a lot of talk before the season that a healthy Halak was better than Thomas Greiss. I wonder where those posters are now...

Greiss has been putting the team on his back once again and has been playing hella good!

Greiss has shown that last year was not an aberration. I'm confident now that he's a legit #1 NHL goalie. Before the season, I and many others were saying we'd be more comfortable with a healthy Halak/Greiss tandem than a Greiss/Berube tandem. The latter option was a career backup with 1/2 a good season as a starter and a kid with 3 NHL games' experience.

Not sure why you felt the need to post an "I told you so" when that was a very reasonable expectation.

Regardless, glad Greiss has continued his excellent play.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

I'm still here.

When Halak is on his game he is an elite goaltender and can carry a team on his back. When he's off his game he looks like hot garbage.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Greiss and Halak have also shown that you don't give big contracts to goalies. Many teams, including the Isles, have backups that if given the chance, may be as good or better than the starter. Halak (a former "career backup") came here with similar stats to what Greiss has now, and was outstanding at first. Then look what happened. I would love to keep Greiss, but not long term and not big money. There are 30 "starters" in the NHL. There are more than 30 excellent goalies in the world. This is the one position where supply exceeds demand.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
I'm still here.

When Halak is on his game he is an elite goaltender and can carry a team on his back. When he's off his game he looks like hot garbage.

You can say that about most NHL goalies.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Greiss and Halak have also shown that you don't give big contracts to goalies. Many teams, including the Isles, have backups that if given the chance, may be as good or better than the starter. I would love to keep Greiss, but not long term and not big money. There are 30 "starters" in the NHL. There are more than 30 excellent goalies in the world. This is the one position where supply exceeds demand.

Yes, 2 Greiss for reasonable money are needed, that would be TOP in the league. A real starter like Bobrovsky this season isn't needed. 2 Greiss in a tandem till the playoffs ends.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Nobody was saying Greiss stunk or wasn't good. There were reservations because he's never been a starter before and he's only ever played half a season before. Going into a season with him as your number one goaltender would've been a mistake, and I think it'd be a mistake to not have a very capable backup for a 1A 1B scenario moving forward as well.

Halak has fallen off, it happens.

What shouldn't have happened was Capuano giving Halak a million starts when he was struggling. Ride whichever is hot, go back to the other when the time calls for it. That's how it should've been handled.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Seems Greiss wasn't good at the wcoh, of course he played WC in May and playoffs before, less time for him to prepare for the season. I'm sure he wouldn't have been good with starter workloads in October and November. Playing Halak so much was good for Greiss, giving him more time. Now don't overuse him, there's no need to play him so much, use Berube more, he wasn't bad lately. I like what NSH is doing, they play Saros every 3rd game, giving Rinne the needed rest and time to prepare for the playoffs.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Seems Greiss wasn't good at the wcoh, of course he played WC in May and playoffs before, less time for him to prepare for the season. I'm sure he wouldn't have been good with starter workloads in October and November. Playing Halak so much was good for Greiss, giving him more time. Now don't overuse him, there's no need to play him so much, use Berube more, he wasn't bad lately. I like what NSH is doing, they play Saros every 3rd game, giving Rinne the needed rest and time to prepare for the playoffs.

Playoffs!!?? Is that what we're doing? :)

crasherino

May 9, 2013

Kind of a weird "told you so". It's not like Halak doesn't have a track record. The guy was an absolute stud during the World Championships and has been really good on the past. In fact, I wonder if the WC screwed him up. He's always been a bit of a delicate flower.

Whatever the reason, his play fell off a cliff to the point no one reasonably predicted. It happens sometimes. It's happening to a lot of goalies this year (although not to the extent of Halaks crappiness).

I'm Just glad we have Greiss behind him. But saying Halak was the better goalie (when healthy) at the beginning of the season was not such an outlandish thought. Didn't turn out to be true - at least as of now - but that's how it goes sometimes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->