Player Discussion: Thomas Greiss

Alexei Yashvalev

Nov 15, 2006
Victoria B.C.
To be fair to Snow, I don't think anyone could have seen Greiss falling off a cliff the way he did.

He hasn't done anything about it though and that's not ideal.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Bailey is worth the contract if comes back with JT. Otherwise I'd rather put that money into Rick Nash since he plays a 200 ft game and god knows the Isles need guys that know how to play defensive type of hockey.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Any reasonable GM would waive Greiss at this point
Yep. Greiss is unplayable. Whether Christopher Gibson is an NHL caliber goaltender or not, he can certainly come up here, sit on the bench, and occasionally play and not be any worse than Greiss.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
The moral of the story is, when a 30 year old 8year veteran career backup goaltender has 1 good playoff series don’t reward him with a multi-year contract.
This is true. But popular opinion here from the time Greiss became the number in the 2015-2016 season up until the middle of last season was that Greiss was the legit #1. What a difference a year makes.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
This is true. But popular opinion here from the time Greiss became the number in the 2015-2016 season up until the middle of last season was that Greiss was the legit #1. What a difference a year makes.
Popular opinion (and his contract) was largely rooted in a playoff series win instead of looking at his entire body of work.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Popular opinion (and his contract) was largely rooted in a playoff series win instead of looking at his entire body of work.
Oh I agree and I was skeptical about throwing Halak away and assuming we'd be OK with Greiss as the #1 and Berube as the backup. But Greiss not only played well in the playoff series but also that entire season (especially when Halak went down) and continued his good play early last season.

Reactions: dood

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Oh I agree and I was skeptical about throwing Halak away and assuming we'd be OK with Greiss as the #1 and Berube as the backup. But Greiss not only played well in the playoff series but also that entire season (especially when Halak went down) and continued his good play early last season.
All true but not a basis for a long term commitment, imo.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Great performance by Greiss. For those of us with longer than a NY minute memories, Greiss is a decent goalie career wise and is suffering from a lack of confidence.

Last nights results should improve that. They will need him for spot starts down the stretch.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Great performance by Greiss. For those of us with longer than a NY minute memories, Greiss is a decent goalie career wise and is suffering from a lack of confidence.

Last nights results should improve that. They will need him for spot starts down the stretch.
when he recovers from his injury.

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
Interesting...
Adam Francilia, who has gained positive publicity through his off-season goalie-specific training with Devan Dubnyk and Connor Hellebuyck, is adding two new clients this summer. Michal Neuvirth already told Philadelphia reporters that he’s hired the British Columbia native. Meanwhile, Thomas Greiss, who split with Francilia two years ago, is re-uniting with him. Greiss had a very difficult 2017-18.

Reactions: dood and mm11

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
No question Greiss will attempt to work his tail off to regain his form. The guy has pride and that German worth ethic. He wont go down without a fight. Is it good enough? Time will tell

Gotta love that German work ethic aye? ;)

All bad jokes aside, I love that he's doing that instead of just having a normal offseason. I would expect him to come back next year playing like he used to. Now if Isles management can figure out some type of defensive system this team could be in business.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
To be fair to Snow, I don't think anyone could have seen Greiss falling off a cliff the way he did.

He hasn't done anything about it though and that's not ideal.

This is one of Snows major flaws. Sign someone who is playing poorly and just continue to give them opportunities without correcting the situation.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
does anyone remember that tweet his wife sent out last summer that was along the lines of ''say a prayer''

I wondered if Greiss got injured during the offseason and potentially played through something (groin etc..)because he really went downhill fast

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
The moral of the story is, when a 30 year old 8year veteran career backup goaltender has 1 good playoff series don’t reward him with a multi-year contract.

Even though the consensus around here when it happened was that it was a good signing. Just reminds some people on here who think they are smarter than a GM that they actually aren't smarter than a GM. No accountability for our fans or our GM lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad