Rumor: Thomas Drance of the Athletic- Kadri to Isles is done deal, Isles just trying to move cap

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Wouldn't mind Josh Bailey in Dallas. Cheap contract with a little term left, and he's over 30 so Nill already loves him. Stars could use a playmaker...and I doubt he would cost much if anything

Is he a guy possibly on the way out?
Would Dallas part with one of Damiani/Dellandrea/Martino for him?

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Would Dallas part with one of Damiani/Dellandrea/Martino for him?

Definitely not Dellandrea cause Nill doesn't like to trade prospects (and especially former 1st round picks), but I was wrong anyways about Bailey I thought he was at a $3.5m cap hit but that's his signing bonus, didn't realize his cap hit was $5m so Dallas wouldn't be able to fit him without paying to move salary elsewhere. Not a good fit after all I don't think.

Reactions: seafoam

isles55

Mar 7, 2015
The comparables look rather bleak though and these were the prices a few years ago and Teams generally overpay in free agency:

Mika Zibanejad: Mika Zibanejad Contract, Cap Hit, Salary and Stats - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Nazem Kadri: Nazem Kadri Contract, Cap Hit, Salary and Stats - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Dobson's contract could be a monster too if they decide to go for 8 years:

Thomas Chabot: Thomas Chabot Contract, Cap Hit, Salary and Stats - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Noah Dobson: Noah Dobson Contract, Cap Hit, Salary and Stats - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Kadri is not Zibanejad and Dobson is not Chabot.

Zibanejad had two 70+ pt seasons and was on pace for a third when he signed that contract, besides last year Kadri's highest point total was 61.

Chabot is a legit #1 who plays a ton of minutes, Dobson is a #3-4 guy who is really good on the powerplay.

Reactions: impaaaaaact

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Gaudreau waived.

Conservative estimate is that they need an extra 7-10M beyond their current cap space to fit in Kadri, Romanov, Dobson and Bellows.

But unfortunately trading Beauvillier alone won't get them the space they need.

Time will tell if they are able to maneuver this in some creative way.
For those playing our home game I’d like to point out that your “conservative estimate “ is grossly incorrect.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Kadri is not Zibanejad and Dobson is not Chabot.

Zibanejad had two 70+ pt seasons and was on pace for a third when he signed that contract, besides last year Kadri's highest point total was 61.

Chabot is a legit #1 who plays a ton of minutes, Dobson is a #3-4 guy who is really good on the powerplay.
Dobson will be a Norris contender next year.

your 6 is upside down
Cute. We shall see. Anyone giving him 9 is an idiot.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Conservative estimate is that they need an extra 7-10M beyond their current cap space to fit in Kadri, Romanov, Dobson and Bellows.
:skeptic: The Isles have a little over $11M in cap space right now. It will take $18M-21M to sign Kadri, Romanov, Dobson (possibly bridge deal) and Bellows (with his 6 goals, coming off a $750K contract)? That's some fuzzy math right there....

The funny thing is that Kadri is an unsigned UFA, so he needs to find SOME team to sign with. The Isles have the 5th most cap space in the league, yet they're in this impossible situation re: signing Kadri?

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
This is why you don’t judge off small sample sizes. Giving up assets to rid leddy would’ve 100% been the better move vs giving up a top pairing dman for 2 2nds, playoffs or not.

The latter part can’t really be quantified. I mean, I guess? Paying for intangibles doesn’t seem like a good idea imo, but I do value character too.

He was 8th in Norris voting
When the Isles traded him, because we are talking about the value at the time of the trade, because, you know, that's when it happened?

HF Boards: Kadri was on a stacked Colorado team. No way he'll match that on another team.

Also HF Boards: Toews is a number 1 dman (on a stacked Colorado team)

Y'all sound drunk.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
I think you know that Norris voting tracks very closely with defenseman scoring leaders. A lot of voters just get out the scoring lists and fill out their ballots. I believe Toews was tied for 9th in D scoring. The real question is how many of those points were assists as a result of handing the puck off to Makar. ;)

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I think you know that Norris voting tracks very closely with defenseman scoring leaders. A lot of voters just get out the scoring lists and fill out their ballots. I believe Toews was tied for 9th in D scoring. The real question is how many of those points were assists as a result of handing the puck off to Makar. ;)

What reply is going to make you feel better about losing him for two 2nds?

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Oh
The comparables look rather bleak though and these were the prices a few years ago and Teams generally overpay in free agency:

Mika Zibanejad: Mika Zibanejad Contract, Cap Hit, Salary and Stats - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Nazem Kadri: Nazem Kadri Contract, Cap Hit, Salary and Stats - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Dobson's contract could be a monster too if they decide to go for 8 years:

Thomas Chabot: Thomas Chabot Contract, Cap Hit, Salary and Stats - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Noah Dobson: Noah Dobson Contract, Cap Hit, Salary and Stats - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Oh boy, are you comparing Kadri to Zib? Tough scene

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
What reply is going to make you feel better about losing him for two 2nds?
Notice that this is a thread about Kadri possibly signing with the Isles. If we're talking about the Isles trading away Toews in this thread, it's other poster's insecurity that raised the topic. So no, I don't need to feel better. Stuff happens. You win some and you lose some. I think that the people bringing up the Toews deal need to figure that out.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
When the Isles traded him, because we are talking about the value at the time of the trade, because, you know, that's when it happened?

HF Boards: Kadri was on a stacked Colorado team. No way he'll match that on another team.

Also HF Boards: Toews is a number 1 dman (on a stacked Colorado team)

Y'all sound drunk.
What is with some hf posters and having to parade logical fallacies? Major major false equivalence going on here. One player was already a budding top 4 dman with lots of upside, the other is a player in their early 30s who had a major outlier year to the rest of their career.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Have you seen Minny's cap situation?

With both the fiala and Talbot trade they have 4 mill in cap space for this year and they'll need a forward.

Outside of Boldy nobody will be getting a huge wage increase next year.

I think it's definitely doable to fit another guy under cap to build their offence up.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This is why you don’t judge off small sample sizes. Giving up assets to rid leddy would’ve 100% been the better move vs giving up a top pairing dman for 2 2nds, playoffs or not.

The latter part can’t really be quantified. I mean, I guess? Paying for intangibles doesn’t seem like a good idea imo, but I do value character too.

Weeger finished 8th in Norris voting last year, nothing against Toews, but citing The Norris trophy voting is akin to reporters boxscore watching looking for shiny offensive stats. Not the most reliable hockey watchers. Nevertheless, if Toews is as good as you seem to think he is. He will have a big payday next summer as he hits UFA status. Maybe your opinion will change if he signs elsewhere.

isles55

Mar 7, 2015
Weeger finished 8th in Norris voting last year, nothing against Toews, but citing The Norris trophy voting is akin to reporters boxscore watching looking for shiny offensive stats. Not the most reliable hockey watchers. Nevertheless, if Toews is as good as you seem to think he is. He will have a big payday next summer as he hits UFA status. Maybe your opinion will change if he signs elsewhere.
Is Weegar not a great defensemen as well?

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
What is with some hf posters and having to parade logical fallacies? Major major false equivalence going on here. One player was already a budding top 4 dman with lots of upside, the other is a player in their early 30s who had a major outlier year to the rest of their career.
Toews was a 4/5 guy showing promise. What's the major false equivalence going on here? Oh i know... Isles were supposed to pay three defenders big money to stay? Obviously Toews didn't want to take a team discount to stay on the Island with Pulock and Pelech there.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Look at what other young defensemen that have scored 40+ points are getting around the league. If he gets less than 6 then color me shocked.
he is not arbitration eligible. He has no leverage other than term. He will get there but not yet. No chance Dobson gets 6 , especially with out cap situation. More likely a shorter bridge deal at a 3.5M-4M AAV.. Do I know for sure? No but if he is getting 6M, there is almost no chance Isle are signing Kadri. They would have to deal away multiple players who would have more value than they would be getting in Kadri.

Last edited:

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Toews was a 4/5 guy showing promise. What's the major false equivalence going on here? Oh i know... Isles were supposed to pay three defenders big money to stay? Obviously Toews didn't want to take a team discount to stay on the Island with Pulock and Pelech there.
This is sarcasm?

4/5 guy with promise… best possession metrics on the islanders playing over 20 minutes a night. Incredible disingenuous argument you are making here. That’s a bonafide top 4 dman with room to improve.

I mean there are empirical measures too… like his gaudy possession metrics. Hes a legit #1 since going to Colorado, and it ain’t all just Cale.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad