Rumor: Thomas Drance of the Athletic- Kadri to Isles is done deal, Isles just trying to move cap

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
The Islanders are in a massive bind and will interesting to see how Lou maneuvers this because it is likely nobody is getting moved without a massive sweetener or they take on bad contracts or both.

Since they probably can't drop back and punt, I think they likely have 3 possibilities:

Move players like Pulock and Wahlstrom and Barzal with positive value for some valuable pieces with low contract salaries, preferably contracts they can bury in the minors. Problem with this is, that every GM knows they are massively over the cap and they will still probably have to take on a bad contract or 2 to do this.

Move Players like Bailey and Lee, who as a result of their age and contract salaries have massively negative value. In which case, they will have to move 1sts and 2nds and top prospects like Raty and take on bad contracts.

Move a combination of positive (plus drafts) and negative contracts. In which case, for example, they would have to move Barzal and Bailey together, but even then, they may have to include a kicker and take a bad contract.

Quite a price to pay for adding Kadri. These are all terrible options.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Sorry, can someone give me a quick TLDR?

What's islanders fans best guess on who the casualties are?

I also doubt that if they're going for Kadri that their pursuit of immediate improvements ends there... so it's probably multiple moves to create capspace for more acquisitions

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I think Beauvillier is plenty interesting if they are truly looking to move cap /if this Kadri rumour has legs

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Sorry, can someone give me a quick TLDR?

What's islanders fans best guess on who the casualties are?

I also doubt that if they're going for Kadri that their pursuit of immediate improvements ends there... so it's probably multiple moves to create capspace for more acquisitions
Beau or Bailey. Idea is to upgrade their positions.

Thing is, we saw both as positive players. This idea that we have to pay someone Raty to take a Beau is ridiculous. Bjorkstrand style.. it is what it is.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
" Terrible options because you made them terrible options. If the only solution to adding Kadri is to trade Barzal you don’t add Kadri."

Too late apparently.

More recently, multiple scribes like Dater and a Director of player personnel guy from the Barrie Colts (don't ask why he supposedly knows) state that Kadri has already signed with the Islanders but Lou is not filing it with the league until he sorts out his salary cap.

Nightmare all around.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Beau or Bailey. Idea is to upgrade their positions.

Thing is, we saw both as positive players. This idea that we have to pay someone Raty to take a Beau is ridiculous. Bjorkstrand style.. it is what it is.
I think that ship has sailed: Bjorkstrand is cheaper than Lee, 5 years younger than Lee and 3 years younger than Bailey. He had 57 points last year, is a right shot and is earning his salary.

Lee and Bailey; not so much.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
The Islanders are in a massive bind and will interesting to see how Lou maneuvers this because it is likely nobody is getting moved without a massive sweetener or they take on bad contracts or both.

Since they probably can't drop back and punt, I think they likely have 3 possibilities:

Move players like Pulock and Wahlstrom and Barzal with positive value for some valuable pieces with low contract salaries, preferably contracts they can bury in the minors. Problem with this is, that every GM knows they are massively over the cap and they will still probably have to take on a bad contract or 2 to do this.

Move Players like Bailey and Lee, who as a result of their age and contract salaries have massively negative value. In which case, they will have to move 1sts and 2nds and top prospects like Raty and take on bad contracts.

Move a combination of positive (plus drafts) and negative contracts. In which case, for example, they would have to move Barzal and Bailey together, but even then, they may have to include a kicker and take a bad contract.

You seem to have a great misunderstanding of the Islanders actual cap situation and how much Kadri will be paid. They are not in a bind, and Kadri will not get the kind of ridiculous numbers being floated around here.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If I was Anaheim, I'd take Varlamov for a 2nd round pick or prospect with Stolarz going the other way.

Because you have the cap room either way, you could then flip Varlamov again at the deadline for another pick on top of that or who knows maybe Gibson+Varyl 1-2 combo stabilizes them enough to get them into a playoff berth.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
You seem to have a great misunderstanding of the Islanders actual cap situation and how much Kadri will be paid. They are not in a bind, and Kadri will not get the kind of ridiculous numbers being floated around here.
What kind of contract do you think he will get?

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007

I think that ship has sailed: Bjorkstrand is cheaper than Lee, 5 years younger than Lee and 3 years younger than Bailey. He had 57 points last year, is a right shot and is earning his salary.

Lee and Bailey; not so much.
I like Bjorkstrand. But it's unfair to say Lee didn't earn his money. He started the season just 6 months after ACL surgery, impressive by itself, and had 28 goals, 20 of them after Christmas.

What kind of contract do you think he will get?
5 years, $5.5 to 6 million.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I like Bjorkstrand. But it's unfair to say Lee didn't earn his money. He started the season just 6 months after ACL surgery, impressive by itself, and had 28 goals, 20 of them after Christmas.

Eh yikes, I'd fire my agent if I was Kadri and that was the contract offer.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019

5 years 6.5 to 7.5

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Am I missing something? Why do the isles even want Kadri lol

Barzal - Nelson - Pageau is a solid C core they just need better wingers. Kadri makes them older and more expensive? not sure I see the fit there but apparently its a done deal lol
It’s not a fit at all and the moves needed to be made to make it work, well makes zero sense.

However, too many fellow islanders fans are blinded by absolutely any news that they have convinced them selves it would be a good addition. I’m still hoping and praying he goes back to the Avs.

It’s funny cause the mantra is Lou doesn’t let anything leak, yet, it’s leaked that it’s a done deal. My ass

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

It’s probably best you don’t comment on other team’s players when your knowledge base is lacking.

First off, Pulock just signed a long term deal with a full NTC.

Bailey and Lee aren’t particularly attractive as you stated but “massively negative value” is a “massive” exaggeration.

Suggesting moving Barzal as an option for them to make cap space for Kadri is just mind boggling.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020

The comparables look rather bleak though and these were the prices a few years ago and Teams generally overpay in free agency:

Mika Zibanejad: Mika Zibanejad Contract, Cap Hit, Salary and Stats - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Nazem Kadri: Nazem Kadri Contract, Cap Hit, Salary and Stats - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Dobson's contract could be a monster too if they decide to go for 8 years:

Thomas Chabot: Thomas Chabot Contract, Cap Hit, Salary and Stats - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Noah Dobson: Noah Dobson Contract, Cap Hit, Salary and Stats - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
First off, Pulock just signed a long term deal with a full NTC.

Suggesting moving Barzal as an option for them to make cap space for Kadri is just mind boggling.
Gaudreau waived.

Conservative estimate is that they need an extra 7-10M beyond their current cap space to fit in Kadri, Romanov, Dobson and Bellows.

From whats being reported, Teams don't have interest in Josh Bailey. But Anthony Beauvillier.
But unfortunately trading Beauvillier alone won't get them the space they need.

Time will tell if they are able to maneuver this in some creative way.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
If he was willing to sign for that little he'd be an Avalanche already.
But don't you know, the guy wants to uproot his life and move his new daughter cross country to play for the bubble playoff New York Islanders for the same amount the Avs would pay him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad